Somali phenotype. Where in the world are somalis most likely to pass as locals?

In which of the following countries can a somali pass as local native without being spotted?

• Sudan

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Eritrea

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Northern Ethiopia

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Tanzania

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Kenya

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yemen

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Som

VIP
In which of the following countries can a somali pass as local native without being spotted as a somali?

*for obvious reasons I decided to use " northern Ethiopia" as an option to exclude somali region and oromia

Somalis are so uniquely looking that other than a few oromos, for the most part the typical somali looks straight somali and won’t be confused with another ethnicity

Som

VIP
I'd say we are likely to pass easily in Sudan, followed by Ethiopia.
Some lighter skinned somalis may pass as Eritreans

Som

VIP
Sudan. I've seen Sudanese people who can pass for Somali. Ethio-semites tend to look a little different than Somalis. I can see it pretty easily.
I agree. Arabs in sudan have various phenotypes but some of them look exactly like us. With ethiosemites the difference is more noticable with the sole exception of hararis who look very much like us. I think that amharas usuallt have a more Somali look than tigrigna eritreans

I would easily pass for Natufian or the leavant leavant area.

Attachments

• images (14).jpeg
    images (14).jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 111

Som

VIP
Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti Sudan in these countries we wouldn’t stand out in terms of phenotype
I think we can pass in Ethiopia but would look atypical among habeshas especially tigrays. Amharas are heavily mixed with oromos so it would be a bit easier to pass among them.
On on the other hand we can easily pass Among sudanese arabs, they have many phenotypes and somalis can fit in easily as local arabs or nubians

I think we can pass in Ethiopia but would look atypical among habeshas especially tigrays. Amharas are heavily mixed with oromos so it would be a bit easier to pass among them.
On on the other hand we can easily pass Among sudanese arabs, they have many phenotypes and somalis can fit in easily as local arabs or nubians
I think we can pass more easily with eritreans compared to Ethiopians. Ethiopians have wider faces. Any how I know alott of eritreans they don't look alike themself. Most eritrean tigray Muslims are of Saho origin. They look more Somali than Eritrean Tigray Christians

Som

VIP
I think we can pass more easily with eritreans compared to Ethiopians. Ethiopians have wider faces. Any how I know alott of eritreans they don't look alike themself. Most eritrean tigray Muslims are of Saho origin. They look more Somali than Eritrean Tigray Christians
We can pass among saho/afars/bilen and maybe some other muslim eritreans but not that much among tigrigna Christians.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Amharas and oromos have harsher features and some of them have pronounced black features that you tend to question if amharas and oromos are of cushitic origin. Eritreans on the other hand have narrow features with almond shaped eyes, slender noses and are tall like somalis but I can still tell most Eritreans apart from somalis.

Last edited:
In south yemen there's a lot of Somali looking people.
I know a full yemeni lady who looks like a light skinned somali, I didn't even know she was arab until recently
That's false. Native South Yemenis/Full Arabs don't look Somali. The only people who look Somali in Yemen are Al-Akhdam/Afro-Arabs.

Here are South Yemenis:
Supporters%20of%20the%20Transitional%20Southern%20Council%20attend%20a%20rally%20to%20demand%20the%20secession%20of%20south%20Yemen%2C%20in%20the%20southern%20port%20city%20of%20Aden%2C%20Yemen%20%28Reuters%29.jpg

Somalis would stick out like a sore thumb in this crowd of full blooded Southern Yemeni Arabs^

Last edited:

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
In Ethiopia, Only afaris and few oromos who border somalis have our phenotype so we will easily stick out in Ethiopia and Sudan but not so much in Eritrea

World

VIP
I mean if we were in their cities no one is gonna be able to point you out and say you look like a foreigner

Trending