Somali phenotype. Where in the world are somalis most likely to pass as locals?

In which of the following countries can a somali pass as local native without being spotted?

• Sudan

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Eritrea

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Northern Ethiopia

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Tanzania

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Kenya

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yemen

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Whole of Horn of Africa is Nilote, and Somalis are around 50% Dinka I believe.
0d5.jpg

Somalis are so uniquely looking that other than a few oromos, for the most part the typical somali looks straight somali and won’t be confused with another ethn

I think we can pass in Ethiopia but would look atypical among habeshas especially tigrays. Amharas are heavily mixed with oromos so it would be a bit easier to pass among them.
On on the other hand we can easily pass Among sudanese arabs, they have many phenotypes and somalis can fit in easily as local arabs or nubians
I was in addis ababa for a couple weeks and literally 99% thought I was habesha. I have the typical dark skin somali look
. Most of the Somalis there could recognize me easily however the regular ethiopians couldn't. I also saw many ethiopians that looked liked some of my Somali friends. I blended in easily there. Not sure about Sudan, but when i was in hargeisa I saw i few sudanis living there that blended in fine.

Depends. Most Somalis are unique looking and then you get a subsection who simply have a pan horner look rather than a specific Somali look. Example, you can tell they're from the horn, but you can't fully pinpoint what country.

Apollo

VIP
North Sudan, Eritrea, all of Ethiopia, Djibouti obviously, all of Kenya (since people know Somalis are a local tribe in Kenya).

Maybe Mauritrania, maybe Mali, maybe Niger, because of Fulanis and Afro-Tuaregs, and maybe Northern Chad because of Toubous.

That's about it really. The other countries you will eventually get suspected of being a foreigner, especially if Somalis get together in large groups in those countries.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Somalis could pass in most of the Arab world tbh.

Egypt has a lot of dark skinned people, as does Saudi Arabia and other countries.

We could also pass in South Africa and some Caribbean areas like the Dominican Republic.

Apollo

VIP

Egypt has a lot of dark skinned people, as does Saudi Arabia and other countries.

We could also pass in South Africa and some Caribbean areas like the Dominican Republic.

Not convincingly though, I have seen many dark Egyptians and Afro-Latinos, they don't look Horner up close.

Greater Horn region, North Sudan, Kenya, and parts of the Sahel is only where Somalis look very close to the locals or a big portion of locals.

Not convincingly though, I have seen many dark Egyptians and Afro-Latinos, they don't look Horner up close.

Greater Horn region, North Sudan, Kenya, and parts of the Sahel is only where Somalis look very close to the locals or a big portion of locals.
Even in Sudan they have this robust afro arab look that is for the most atypical in the horn (except perhaps tribes like the Beja). Thats why i think N.Ethiopia and Eritrea is where somalis best pass.

Apollo

VIP
Even in Sudan they have this robust afro arab look that is for the most atypical in the horn (except perhaps tribes like the Beja). Thats why i think N.Ethiopia and Eritrea is where somalis best pass.

There will always be some differences with non-Somalis, but still North Sudan should be in this grouping imo.

Bejas, Nubians, and Arabs can't even tell each other apart in Sudan. Those three groups have intermarried and exchanged cultures for at least 1,500 years.

Beja
HBNGbms.jpg

Nubian
IaD22Z1.png

Arab
38K16Y4.png

Those are cherry-picked examples but gives you the gist of it.

Apollo

VIP
Bejas, Nubians, and Arabs can't even tell each other apart in Sudan. Those three groups have intermarried and exchanged cultures for at least 1,500 years.

Those are cherry-picked examples but gives you the gist of it.

Sometimes groups can look very similar, yet when you check their genome data you notice stark differences.

Examples of this are Basque Spaniards vs Mainstream Spaniards or Sardinians vs Mainland Italians. You would think they are the same from looking at them, but their genetics show they are populations that diverged thousands of years ago and had little geneflow between them since.

Main difference between Bejas, Nubians, and Arabized North Sudanese is that Bejas have a noticable affinity towards Habeshas and Northern Cushites much more so than other North Sudanese populations, and with Arabized North Sudanese the main difference is that they aren't homogenous like Nubians but instead have a huge range from nearly similar to Chadians to nearly similar to Upper Egyptians. Nubians don't have this big ethnic range that the Arabized Sudanese do.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

As someone who grew up in the Arab world and was born on the Arabian Peninsula, I must disagree. We stick out among most ethnic groups outside of some Afro-Arabs. However we do pass as "Arabs" in the sense that most Arabs will assume you are Sudani or even Somali where they think we Somalis are Arabized like many Sudanis, given the league membership. Most Arabs here in the UAE approach me speaking Arabic without a second thought but wouldn't do that to an cadaan, desi or southeast asian.

Apollo

VIP
As someone who grew up in the Arab world and was born on the Arabian Peninsula, I must disagree. We stick out among most ethnic groups outside of some Afro-Arabs. However we do pass as "Arabs" in the sense that most Arabs will assume you are Sudani or even Somali where they think we Somalis are Arabized like many Sudanis, given the league membership. Most Arabs here in the UAE approach me speaking Arabic without a second thought but wouldn't do that to an cadaan, desi or southeast asian.

In Europe, many of these Syrian Arab fobs assume Somalis all speak Arabic like Sudanis, lmao. At this point I am getting pissed whenever it happens. It doesn't take that much effort to learn this.

They look very Somali to me,
compared to other Sudani. They have this Natufian red skin, wich can be mistaken for Srilanka wich is of Cushitic origin.
This girl looks more Somali to me (the guy is Yemeni)
l9ufpRL.png

Then you have some Sudanese people like Eman El-Shareef that don't look Somali
gAmLGWZ.png

This girl looks more Somali to me (the guy is Yemeni)
l9ufpRL.png

Then you have some Sudanese people like Eman El-Shareef that don't look Somali
gAmLGWZ.png
What's your point? Beja and all Cushitic groups have Cushitic DNA. I agree Yamen can look some what Somali because they don't have Nilotic in them. But these Yamen are mixed with Bantu, so they don't really look Somali at all.

What's your point? Beja and all Cushitic groups have Cushitic DNA. I agree Yamen can look some what Somali because they don't have Nilotic in them. But these Yamen are mixed with Bantu, so they don't really look Somali at all.
I mentioned that he's Yemeni to exclude his presence but I see that completely flew over your head lol.

Trending

Latest posts