Somali phenotype. Where in the world are somalis most likely to pass as locals?

In which of the following countries can a somali pass as local native without being spotted?

• Sudan

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Eritrea

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Northern Ethiopia

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Tanzania

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Kenya

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yemen

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Somalis usually look quite basal in phenotype to the Horn. Not always but usually. We have a lot less of those Semitized, Omotized or more recent Nilotized looks prevalent in the highlands and Sudan but they all still have our dominant base look. As a result you'll notice most Somalis can probably pass quite well in Ethiopia, Eritrea and Sudan but their peoples can't always pass among us.

I think we could pass as locals in parts of South America and Caribbean with a diverse mixed black population (Trinidad, Guyana, Colombia, Brazil) . Also in the Horn of Africa and West African Sahel countries with Fulani populations. I get mistaken for many ethnicities tbh

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I would remove Kenya, Tanzania and Yemen. I have not seen a Somali that could pass for these populations unless they are mixed with Madow or Dhegocase.

Afro-Arabs do not look Somali. Nor do Bantu groups. And mainstream Arabs would never blend in with the locals. Also Yemenis are not pure. Even those pale ones are sub-saharan admixed to varying degrees (baring religious minorities and outlier groups scattered throughout the region) given their heavy involvement in the Trans-Saharan Slave Trade.
That's false. Native South Yemenis/Full Arabs don't look Somali. The only people who look Somali in Yemen are Al-Akhdam/Afro-Arabs.

Here are South Yemenis:
Supporters%20of%20the%20Transitional%20Southern%20Council%20attend%20a%20rally%20to%20demand%20the%20secession%20of%20south%20Yemen%2C%20in%20the%20southern%20port%20city%20of%20Aden%2C%20Yemen%20%28Reuters%29.jpg

Somalis would stick out like a sore thumb in this crowd of full blooded Southern Yemeni Arabs^

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
For those of you who haven't interacted with Ethiopia/ Eritrean communities, take a look of this video about Eritrean Americans. You can clearly see that the average Eritrean has narrow features and more cutishic looking than the average oromo or amhara. A quarter of Eritrean habeshas can easily pass for Somali and majority of them don't look much different than Somalis probably because they don't have omotic/Nilotic admixture.

For those of you who haven't interacted with Ethiopia/ Eritrean communities, take a look of this video about Eritrean Americans. You can clearly see that the average Eritrean has narrow features and more cutishic looking than the average oromo or amhara. A quarter of Eritrean habeshas can easily pass for Somali and majority of them don't look much different than Somalis probably because they don't have omotic/Nilotic admixture.

They look majority Somali and mixed with the Yamen and Nilote. Just like Somalis they don't have any Omotic that's why they have narrow faces like Somali. But they have recent Nilotic mix, so Somalis don't have recent Nilotic mix, that's why Eritreans look more rough skinned than Somali.

I bet you reer Waqooyi have also some recent Nilotic admixture that's why they have long Dinka body, but also their skin is rough, while other Somalis have Natufian like smooth skin.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
They look majority Somali and mixed with the Yamen and Nilote. Just like Somalis they don't have any Omotic that's why they have narrow faces like Somali. But they have recent Nilotic mix, so Somalis don't have recent Nilotic mix, that's why Eritreans look more rough skinned than Somali.
Their recent nilotic admixture must be very small otherwise they would have looked different

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
That's false. Native South Yemenis/Full Arabs don't look Somali. The only people who look Somali in Yemen are Al-Akhdam/Afro-Arabs.

Here are South Yemenis:
Supporters%20of%20the%20Transitional%20Southern%20Council%20attend%20a%20rally%20to%20demand%20the%20secession%20of%20south%20Yemen%2C%20in%20the%20southern%20port%20city%20of%20Aden%2C%20Yemen%20%28Reuters%29.jpg

Somalis would stick out like a sore thumb in this crowd of full blooded Southern Yemeni Arabs^
They’re all chewing khat
Akhaasey
:nahgirl:

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
I bet you reer Waqooyi have also some recent Nilotic admixture that's why they have long Dinka body, but also their skin is rough, while other Somalis have Natufian like smooth skin.
Reer waqooye and galbeed somalis have the best cushitic phenotype. We're probably the purest kushiest.

what-rihanna.gif

That is the opposite of the truth that I can't help but laugh; the Nilotes of South Sudan have the smoothest skin of any population you'll ever encounter.