Somali phenotype. Where in the world are somalis most likely to pass as locals?

In which of the following countries can a somali pass as local native without being spotted?

• Sudan

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Eritrea

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • Northern Ethiopia

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Tanzania

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Kenya

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yemen

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
In Europe, many of these Syrian Arab fobs assume Somalis all speak Arabic like Sudanis, lmao. At this point I am getting pissed whenever it happens. It doesn't take that much effort to learn this.

It's not their faults. They get taught in school that we're Arabs like them and see stuff like Somalia and Djibouti always being included in the map of Arab nations and not all but a fair number of the Somalis in the Khaleej learn Arabic and give them the false impression that all Somalis know the language. It cracks me up, though. They never notice how we don't tend to have our own dialect when we speak Arabic. My mother, as an example, speaks Syrian Arabic cos she polished hers using Syrian translated Turkish dramas (💀). They never ask themselves why we don't have our own dialect like Masris or Sudanis do and get confused as heck when I explain that most people in the homeland can't speak Arabic. Doesn't help much that Af-Maxaa sounds phonologically similar to Arabic with all the Xas, Cas and Khas and that through dugsi most Somalis can pronounce Arabic generally perfectly, not to mention the rich number of loanwords. Some Arabs I've met here, as I've told you before, think Somali itself is just an Arabic dialect that's really funky like Dirija. "But you can pronounce 3ayn and I heard you say al-bab and kursi..." 😂

Som

VIP
I was in addis ababa for a couple weeks and literally 99% thought I was habesha. I have the typical dark skin somali look
. Most of the Somalis there could recognize me easily however the regular ethiopians couldn't. I also saw many ethiopians that looked liked some of my Somali friends. I blended in easily there. Not sure about Sudan, but when i was in hargeisa I saw i few sudanis living there that blended in fine.
Cool, so did they just think you were Ethiopian or specifically habesha? Cause i guess in addis everyone speaks amharic and it's very multicultural

Som

VIP
In Europe, many of these Syrian Arab fobs assume Somalis all speak Arabic like Sudanis, lmao. At this point I am getting pissed whenever it happens. It doesn't take that much effort to learn this.
Usually it goes like this
Egyptians and some syrians assume we are arabs like the sudanese
Everyone else thinks we are regular african people, especially moroccans, algerians and Tunisians tend to know very little about somalia.
I guess the only one who know we aren't arabs are yemenis

Som

VIP
Bejas, Nubians, and Arabs can't even tell each other apart in Sudan. Those three groups have intermarried and exchanged cultures for at least 1,500 years.

Beja
HBNGbms.jpg

Nubian
IaD22Z1.png

Arab
38K16Y4.png

Those are cherry-picked examples but gives you the gist of it.
Why only pic the light skinned folks though.
The average beja and Nubians is darker than that and close to somalis in skin tone

Som

VIP
Somalis could pass in most of the Arab world tbh.

Egypt has a lot of dark skinned people, as does Saudi Arabia and other countries.

We could also pass in South Africa and some Caribbean areas like the Dominican Republic.
Not at all.
Are you kidding? We can pass as nubians in Egypt but we'll never ne mistaken for an Arab Egyptian , only a few very light skinned ethnic somali may pass but it's unlikely.
Same in Saudi and other arab countries like morocco.
We can easily pass in the Caribbean and southafrica even though we would also get noticed there

Not at all.
Are you kidding? We can pass as nubians in Egypt but we'll never ne mistaken for an Arab Egyptian , only a few very light skinned ethnic somali may pass but it's unlikely.
We can easily pass in the Caribbean and southafrica even though we would also get noticed there
We can't really pass for Caribbean or south African, just because we might have similar shade doesn't mean you can. Then we could also pass for Indian, and Srilankan or maybe even Andaman Islander.

Apollo

VIP
Not at all.

There is no way Somalis can pass in group form in either the Caribbean or South Africa. They will get noticed. Only as individuals can Somalis pass there, not in a group.

People underestimate the ability of people to notice who is a local and who is foreign. I know a Filipino who lived in Japan and you'd think he could pass there, but he told me that local Japanese people often or near always assumed he was a foreigner.

Why only pic the light skinned folks though.
The average beja and Nubians is darker than that and close to somalis in skin tone
Wasn't intentional but the focus is on facial features, not skin color. In my defense it's difficult to find photos of non-rural people that I know the tribe of so my options were very limited.

Also the second example is medium/dark skinned, she just looks lighter in that photo.
HegZj4C.png

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I think it's around 50%; the other 10% is derived from an extinct Horn African hunter-gatherer group.

More like 55% proto-Nilotic and 5% or so Horn HG. But Horn HG is mostly proto-Nilotic itself. North Sudan and the Horn are basically grafted off a Nilotic + MENA base. It's just the amounts and time frames that differ. Horners' Nilotic is pre-historic and so is much of our MENA with the ancient Yemeni being the most recent at around 3,000 years whereas in Sudan the Nilotic and MENA elements kept flowing in over the centuries and are more historical like from Egypt during it's civilizational period, Nilotes from the ancient and medieval eras carrying some West-African in them and Islamic period Arabian admixture. Sudanis are Horners if our ancestors stayed put in Sudan and kept continuing to mix with the groups to there north, west, southwest and east.

Apollo

VIP
More like 55% proto-Nilotic and 5% or so Horn HG. But Horn HG is mostly proto-Nilotic itself. North Sudan and the Horn are basically grafted off a Nilotic + MENA base. It's just the amounts and time frames that differ. Horners' Nilotic is pre-historic and so is much of our MENA with the ancient Yemeni being the most recent at around 3,000 years whereas in Sudan the Nilotic and MENA elements kept flowing in over the centuries and are more historical like from Egypt during it's civilizational period, Nilotes from the ancient and medieval eras carrying some West-African in them and Islamic period Arabian admixture. Sudanis are Horners if our ancestors stayed put in Sudan and kept continuing to mix with the groups to there north, west, southwest and east.

I think it is more than 5%, likely it is on the order of 10-12%. Mota is notoriously bad as a reference sample for the Somali HGs. Ethio and Somali HGs potentially diverged over 15,000 years from each other based on analyzing Horn specific L lineages in Somalis and contrasting with Ethiopians.

I wouldn't call them proto-Nilotic. They had little to do with each other as those HGs were extremely proto-OOA like, while Nilotes share much more overlap with West Africans and the extinct African aboriginals of North Africa which isn't present in those HOA HGs.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I think it is more than 5%, likely it is on the order of 10-12%. Mota is notoriously bad as a reference sample for the Somali HGs. Ethio and Somali HGs potentially diverged over 15,000 years from each other based on analyzing Horn specific L lineages in Somalis and contrasting with Ethiopians.

I wouldn't call them proto-Nilotic. They had little to do with each other as those HGs were extremely proto-OOA like, while Nilotes share much more overlap with West Africans and the extinct African aboriginals of North Africa which isn't present in those HOA HGs.

Hmmm, I'm not necessarily convinced Somalis' ancestors mixed with actual Somali HGs though I could be wrong. I think most of the intermixture with the HGs happened in the Highlands and the mtDNA split is just indicative of how far back Somalis' ancestors mixed with the HGs in Ethiopia. I think the hunters in Somalia might have honestly been different from those in Ethiopia given the odd historical reports of San-like people in Koonfur who are now gone. Somalia may have been the entry point for the San-like elements mixed into Mota. And I dunno, abowe. Mota just seems proto-Nilotic mixed with San-like elements and elevated Eurasian affinities to me.

Apollo

VIP
Hmmm, I'm not necessarily convinced Somalis' ancestors mixed with actual Somali HGs though I could be wrong. I think most of the intermixture with the HGs happened in the Highlands an the mtDNA split is just indicative of how far back Somalis' ancestors mixed with the HGs in Ethiopia. I think the hunters in Somalia might have honestly been different from this in Ethiopia given the odd historical reports of San-like people in Koonfur who are now gone. Somalia may have been the entry point for the San-like elements mixed into Mota. And I dunno, abowe. Mota just seems proto-Nilotic mixed with San-like elements and elevated Eurasian affinities to me.

I think it happened in the arid lowlands of the Horn, roughly corresponding with the Somaliweyn area of today.

The higher Eurasian affinity of some of those bronze age Southern Cushites sampled in Kenya & the relatively higher Eurasian affinity of Northern Cushites like Agaws vs the lower Eurasian in present-day Somalis is largely explained by that Somali HG admixture that occurred on the Somali plains, IMO. Only when they sample HGs from the arid parts of the Horn could this theory be vindicated or debunked, but so far I think it is a correct hypothesis.

I don't think they were San-like nor Nilotic-like whatsoever. I think their autosomal pattern was on the East African proto-OOA spectrum (Y E and MT predominantly L3-L4-L6) without affinities to the real Khoisan. Their Y-Chromosome could potentially have been E1b1b2 (as in E-V16) and not A nor B.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Not at all.

That was my point.

I didn’t say we will look Arab but we wouldn’t look out of place in Egypt or Saudi.

Theyll think were their local black population until we open our mouths.

But after further research, I heard this isn’t the case.

Apollo

VIP
That was my point.

I didn’t say we will look Arab but we wouldn’t look out of place in Egypt or Saudi.

Theyll think were their local black population until we open our mouths.

But after further research, I heard this isn’t the case.

We are assuming the native or majority ethnic population in the case of ability to pass, lol.

Otherwise practically every black person can pass in Somalia because of Somali Bantus. Including people like Don Cheadle who clearly don't look Somali. Or every Pakistani can pass as Eastern European because of Romani minorities in nearly every Eastern European country.

I was in addis ababa for a couple weeks and literally 99% thought I was habesha. I have the typical dark skin somali look
. Most of the Somalis there could recognize me easily however the regular ethiopians couldn't. I also saw many ethiopians that looked liked some of my Somali friends. I blended in easily there. Not sure about Sudan, but when i was in hargeisa I saw i few sudanis living there that blended in fine.
Even Wode Maya blended in in Addis Ababa. It's a diverse city.

Trending