Votes: 23 76.7%
  • NO, most somalis have somali names

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • i like arabic names more than somali names so i'm for the arabization

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously have never met a somali with a farah as a first name and only a handful of somali guys with somali first names, two to three generation ago farah must have been one of the most popular names among somalis, most somalis have a farah somewhere in their abtirsi

but now about two out of three somali male have abdi-something as their first and second the name, almost 95% of somalis have an arabic name, when you look at the typical somali abtirsi this must have been a little under 50% back in the good old dats, DON'T GO NERDY AND ASK ME WHERE I'M GETTING THESE PRECENTAGES FROM, IT'S AN ESTIMATE

rather focus on the issue at hand there, the extinction of somali names, choosing arabic names that start with abdi for their new borns is so second nature to somalis that ajnabis stereotype us with the name "ABDI" literally meaning "the slave of":faysalwtf: i don't know if this was discussed on this forum before as i am relatively new here but this a serious discussion that needs to be had in the somali community.:mugshotman:can't stress it enough.

is this as a result of the arabization that toke place in the diapora and at home during the civil war??

fyi i don't have a somali name, i have a Arabic name myself:jcoleno: but i lowkey love my Arabic name:patrice:. i can't even name five somali names wallahi it's sad.:donkey:

another question is ARE THESE ARABIC NAMES OR ISLAMIC NAMES????
would the arabic name "Abū Lahab" been a islamic name if that arab guy was not a an enemy of islam?? if so that would imply that the bearer of the name determines if it's a muslim name or not, so farah would be a muslim name since somali is a muslim ethnicity? :cosbyhmm: i'm just trying to make sense of this
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
I seriously have never met a somali with a farah as a first name and only a handful of somali guys with somali first names, two to three generation ago farah must have been one of the most popular names among somalis, most somalis have a farah somewhere in their abtirsi

but now about two out of three somali male have abdi-something as their first and second the name, almost 95% of somalis have an arabic name, when you look at the typical somali abtirsi this must have been a little under 50% back in the good old dats, DON'T GO NERDY AND ASK ME WHERE I'M GETTING THESE PRECENTAGES FROM, IT'S AN ESTIMATE

rather focus on the issue at hand there, the extinction of somali names, choosing arabic names that start with abdi for their new borns is so second nature to somalis that ajnabis stereotype us with the name "ABDI" literally meaning "the slave of":faysalwtf: i don't know if this was discussed on this forum before as i am relatively new here but this a serious discussion that needs to be had in the somali community.:mugshotman:can't stress it enough.

is this as a result of the arabization that toke place in the diapora and at home during the civil war??

fyi i don't have a somali name, i have a Arabic name myself:jcoleno: but i lowkey love my Arabic name:patrice:. i can't even name five somali names wallahi it's sad.:donkey:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Nothing wrong with islamic names. But my problem is with the new gen arabic names like rayeen an shit like that. Most people in somali habe somali names or islamic names. Such as all the abdis and maxamed and abdullahi and guleed.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Dude it's common among Muslims to use Abdul(Slave of) and then attach one of the 99 names of Allah swt as a suffix. With Somalis we Somalized it into Abdi and not Abdul.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
And somalis are adopting arabs's culture as well by watching their movies, using their language, wearing clothes from the arab countries and now they are adopting arabic names.
I was surprised when i visited Djibouti and i saw that every woman over there was wearing a niqab, which isn't a somali dress, and they told me it's okay since we have the same religion..This is stupid and somalis will go extinct as a whole whitin only one century. Lucky for me, i'll be dead by then!

I think somalized islamic names are fine, but the old somali names should not be forgotten. What I don't like is everyone having the same names be creative.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
They aren't Arab names/culture, they are Muslim names.:shookgabre:

Jews and Christians have their versions of Yusuf/Joseph/Issa/Jesus, etc.

Arab names/culture would be something like Raami, or Baasim and we do not do that.

I think somalized islamic names are fine, but the old somali names should not be forgotten. What I don't like is everyone having the same names be creative.
these are still arabic names :russ:

i've a somali on twitter claim wallahi is that somalinized version of wallahi :damn: WHICH ISN'T EVEN TRUE as arabs used wallahi before islam even reached somalis

somalis really act like arabic word and name originate with them just cuz they are say it with a suju accent.

i've a somali on twitter claim wallahi is that somalinized version of wallahi :damn: WHICH ISN'T EVEN TRUE as arabs used wallahi before islam even reached somalis

somalis really act like arabic word and name originate with them just cuz they are say it with a suju accent.
sxb islam reached the horn faster than arabs, they became muslim through the sword we didnt.

They aren't Arab names/culture, they are Muslim names.:shookgabre:

Jews and Christians have their versions of Yusuf/Joseph/Issa/Jesus, etc.

Arab names/culture would be something like Raami, or Baasim and we do not do that.
Correct. I know a guy whose name is Yahya, but he found out that the western version is Johannes. The guy goes by the name Johannes now.:mjlol:

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

These names predate the existence of Arabs :shookgabre:

And somalis are adopting arabs's culture as well by watching their movies, using their language, wearing clothes from the arab countries and now they are adopting arabic names.
I was surprised when i visited Djibouti and i saw that every woman over there was wearing a niqab, which isn't a somali dress, and they told me it's okay since we have the same religion..This is stupid and somalis will go extinct as a whole whitin only one century. Lucky for me, i'll be dead by then!
it's funny that we(myself included) worry about bantunization of somalis which we are yet to see any tangible impact for, while arabnizaton has been doggystyling somali culture for a good generation now:francis:

by the way i'm not even an advocate for preserving somali culture i'm westernized AF and my childern will probably not even grow up speaking somali but i just like to state the truth and call out the double standards i see with so called pan-somalis or somali nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts