Votes: 23 76.7%
  • NO, most somalis have somali names

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • i like arabic names more than somali names so i'm for the arabization

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not create new somali sounding names?
are they really arabic names though?:ulyin: i'm not convinced
for example omar was omar before islam , surely it could not have been labeled a muslim name before the last version islam came about, so arab is the constant in all these so called muslim names.

also would u consider somali names muslim names?? since somali is a muslim ethnicity
What he means is, all those names already exist in different languages completely different and sometimes similar. For example, you can see the names of the prophets in different languages. If we are being more correct then, we are using arabized hebrew names. Some of these are authentic arab names, but most of them didn't even derive from the arabic culture.

A name like Yusuf, predates Arabs, its Jewish.

You might as well ask why are Somalis adopting Jewish culture

Its the religon thats adopted not the culture
so the point you trying to put across is that these are not arabic names at all??
abdi-somethings are not arab?
ahmed is not arabic?
muhammed is not arabic?

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
name is not a big deal who wouldnt want the names amber sarah nadia come onn but i want these surnames/names to be retained
samatar
elmi
shire
guled
liban
ladan
kinsi

My siblings and cousins all have traditional Somali names like :

Idil
Sagal
Ayan
Deeqa
Hodan
Ebyan
Roble
Liban
Sharmarke
Warsame

sigmund

JUSTICE FOR SHUKRI ABDI
VIP
My siblings and cousins all have traditional Somali names like :

Idil
Sagal
Ayan
Deeqa
Hodan
Ebyan
Roble
Liban
Sharmarke
Warsame
loool fun fact my name is on that list but one of the letters are wrong and my middle sister name is on there but my older sis name isnt there since is arabic

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
I can thank my family for giving me 4 somali names.
Yonis, waberi, aptidoon, gaarsheeg (idk how it is spell lmao).
Arab names are not somali.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I'm naming kids the following names, I hope none of you dusty Somalis steal my idea.

Girls

Ebyan
Idman
Bilan
Hadiya
Safia
Beydan
Jawahir
Ugbad

Boys

Awil
Magan
Roble
Hersi
Samatar
Guled

name is not a big deal who wouldnt want the names amber sarah nadia come onn but i want these surnames/names to be retained
samatar
elmi
shire
guled
liban
ladan
kinsi
if names are a big deal then would somalis have problem with a somali muslim literally names jacob instead of yacoub??

and yh thanks for listing some thee names that going extinct :jcoleno: waiit a secoond :ohhh: most of these names are also extinct as i have never seen them before.
from this list i have seen elmi and samatar a second ones, shire and guled as a first also just ones likewise with liban
but i have never heard of ladan and kinsi

Arab woshippers are known to be Somalis and Sudanese..What a shame.
Somalis are known across the Middle East and Africa to be a group of confused Africans who wish they were Arab. Some Somalis don’t want to hear it but that’s our reputation.

sigmund

JUSTICE FOR SHUKRI ABDI
VIP
if names are a big deal then would somalis have problem with a somali muslim literally names jacob instead of yacoub??

and yh thanks for listing some thee names that going extinct :jcoleno: waiit a secoond :ohhh: most of these names are also extinct as i have never seen them before.
from this list i have seen elmi and samatar a second ones, shire and guled as a first also just ones likewise with liban
but i have never heard of ladan and kinsi

jacob just seems odd like your begging with cadaans lol and ladan and kinsi are a very well known somali names but sadly is rarely used

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
so the point you trying to put across is that these are not arabic names at all??
abdi-somethings are not arab?
ahmed is not arabic?
muhammed is not arabic?

My point is they are Muslim names, we do not adopt "Arabic" names like Basim or Raami

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
Somalis are known across the Middle East and Africa to be a group of confused Africans who wish they were Arab. Some Somalis don’t want to hear it but that’s our reputation.

it is sad ! :(

And somalis are adopting arabs's culture as well by watching their movies, using their language, wearing clothes from the arab countries and now they are adopting arabic names.
I was surprised when i visited Djibouti and i saw that every woman over there was wearing a niqab, which isn't a somali dress, and they told me it's okay since we have the same religion..This is stupid and somalis will go extinct as a whole whitin only one century. Lucky for me, i'll be dead by then!
Your hatred for islam is to deep that you hate the modesty of somali girls now.
You probably got on jeans. You are already westernized. Double standard

wait is he a none muslim ??

damn i'm the only concerned muslim somalis on here??:williamswtf:, it's either pan-arab muslims or kuffar somalis
NO INBETWEENERS :wow:

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP

I never said i'm against Western or Arab culture but somalis CANNOT complain about the Bantufication of Somalia when they allow to their country to be another Sudan.
That's hypocrisy and booty-licking.

If we are against the bantus that want to take over Somalia's culture, we should be also against the arabs. These people are not helping our Motherland.
At least with the bantus, they are educated and are in the Army.

I'm naming kids the following names, I hope none of you dusty Somalis steal my idea.

Girls

Ebyan
Idman
Bilan
Hadiya
Safia
Beydan
Jawahir
Ugbad

Boys

Awil
Magan
Roble
Hersi
Samatar
Guled
LOOL you should be encouraging somalis to snatch up somali names the way we do with arabic ones

wait is he a none muslim ??

damn i'm the only concerned muslim somalis on here??:williamswtf:, it's either pan-arab muslims or kuffar somalis
NO INBETWEENERS :wow:
He is worse than a gaal . He is a mulxid and atheist.
Im for somali and islmaic names. Yusuf was a muslim. Ibrahim was a muslim. Nuux was a muslim. Being named after good muslims is a good idea. Just not bassim.

He is worse than a gaal . He is a mulxid and atheist.
Im for somali and islmaic names. Yusuf was a muslim. Ibrahim was a muslim. Nuux was a muslim. Being named after good muslims is a good idea. Just not bassim.
u still didn't my question
are somali names also muslim names since somali is a muslim ethnicity??

Status
Not open for further replies.