• NO, most somalis have somali names

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • i like arabic names more than somali names so i'm for the arabization

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
so it's a facade it really isn't a tangible thing
I don't know. Just like nations, it's all based on the idea of something. Somali culture is the feeling we have as a group, our shared solidarity. For example, if we have war, and we win. Few poems and war songs and books are going to be written about it. . But to be honest, most somalis don't know about their history or those poems. So we trust cultured elders to teach us, while we youngsters hold on to something we can't even describe. That is all culture. Culture is remnant of struggle and victory.

Our lifestyle, like our relationship with the camel, camel meat, camel milk and all that. What we eat, and why we eat it.

I also believe our social class was based on egalitarianism and xenophobia, which makes sense why somalis have a strong ingroup mentality. That may be a huge part of our culture, namely the reaction to other cultures. But that is just my theory.

If you look at any culture and you dissect every component, then you are left with boring stuff. But if you have the people in the equation and see the relationship between those components and the people then it suddenly means much more.

Culture is like a groups personality in macro level.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
It's not an Arabic name, but an Islamic name atm/currently; however those names came from Arabs when it was the time of Nabi Muhammad. Yeah, there is loanwords ik almost every language.. Arabic has loamwords of Aramaic, and also hebrew has it too and since some Somals used to trade; ofcourse they would get loan words

Since they islamic; every culture tried to alter those islamic names to how they pronoumce it 9r according to their culture

Like the West African say as follows

Muhammad= mammadou/Muhammadu/

Or other languages amd culture
Moohammed, Mahmad, Mehmed, Mahamed, Mohamad, Mohamed, Mohammad, Mohammed, Muhamad, Muhamed, Muhamet, Muhammed, Muhammet, Mahammud, Mehmet, Mohd, Muh, Mahamid

Simce Somalis are closer or earlier to accept the deen than most arabs, they have Muhammad as Mohammed or even Muhammud as Muhamoud

In somali writing; Muxamed, Maxamed, Muxamuud. Suleiman as Saleban, or, etc

So, yeah it's an Islamic name thing not an Arabic thing. You can even check countries with hugger population of muslim and check their names. Except few, most have Islamic names.

Fyi, anyone can go search me a Kenyan person of bantu origin/kikuyu without a surname of Bibilical name(they're some, but few). Since they're christians they have those bibilical names.

Some even forgot their cultural names;

For us we still do have our cultural names
:samwelcome:

Some of my fav Somali names are still

Abaadir
Hersi
Farah
Koosar
Ayaanle
Jimacle
Arale
Liban
Fataax

Ugbaad
Cabir
Awo
Hibaaq
Hiba
Sacadiya
Sagal
Suhuur
Cabeer

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
I kind of have a first Somali name.
I go by two names.
"Jibril Axmed Nuur Jama"
And...
"Warsame Axmed Nuur Jama"
My cousins usally have first Somali names such as, Farah, Almis, Suleka, Arafoo, Ilham, etc.
One of my brothers also has a Somali first name. "Guedi Axmed Nuur Jama".

I kind of have a first Somali name.
I go by two names.
"Jibril Axmed Nuur Jama"
And...
"Warsame Axmed Nuur Jama"
My cousins usally have first Somali names such as, Farah, Almis, Suleka, Arafoo, Ilham, etc.
One of my brothers also has a Somali first name. "Guedi Axmed Nuur Jama".
this is very rare, your part of the 5% with somali first names

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Yep @AussieHustler is correct about Farah not being a Somali name.

Screenshot_2018-12-26-22-04-36.png

Somali af.

Do you plan on giving your kids Somali names in he future.

My weeb ass was planning on naming my son ace for the past 3 years.

Now I’m starting to consider
Ayoub
Ridwan
And
Faisal
Yeah I’m giving all my kids somali names tbh. I love my name even though people do a double take when they hear it lmaoo

Arabisation today is nothing compared to Somalia before 1972.

Look at any Somali legend pre-colonisation. All of their names are ahmed ibn this or bin that. On top of that all Somali literature was written in Arabic.

Even our nationalistic songs during the independence movement was in Arabic.

Here was a popular nationalistic song during the 50s: “Ya ayyuha al-Somali, qum, khudh al-musdas wa la tanum inna nuhayyika.”

Yes, Somali culture is arabised but remember that it is progressively becoming more somalised not the opposite.

Ahmed Gurey was known as: Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al Ghazi

Aw Barkhadle was known as: Yusuf bin Ahmed Al-Kawneyn

Futuh al-habasha (The conquering of Ethiopia), probably the most acclaimed book written by a Somali. Translated into French, English and other languages.

They aren't Arab names/culture, they are Muslim names.:shookgabre:

Jews and Christians have their versions of Yusuf/Joseph/Issa/Jesus, etc.

Arab names/culture would be something like Raami, or Baasim and we do not do that.

Whats worse

A) A secular Arabic name

B) A secular French/English/Italian name

Somalis are happy with one but not the other, I wonder why :sass1:

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Whats worse

A) A secular Arabic name

B) A secular French/English/Italian name

Somalis are happy with one but not the other, I wonder why :sass1:

You missed my whole point, Somalis don't use secular Arabic names.
If there were French Muslim names then they would gladly take them on

You missed my whole point, Somalis don't use secular Arabic names.
If there were French Muslim names then they would gladly take them on

A girl called Yasmin or a guy called bassim would be seen as normal even if they arent common

But a guy named Maxime and all hell breaks loose :damedamn:

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
A girl called Yasmin or a guy called bassim would be seen as normal even if they arent common

But a guy named Maxime and all hell breaks loose :damedamn:

If you mean to the untrained mind one would seem more Islamic than the other sure, but the bottom line is Somalis go for Arabic names because of the Islamic context behind them, not because we like their culture

If you mean to the untrained mind one would seem more Islamic than the other sure, but the bottom line is Somalis go for Arabic names because of the Islamic context behind them, not because we like their culture

Would you have any opposition to a somali guy named Maxime?

Just as legitimate as any secular arab name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts