Somali Founder Effect & Genetic Diversity

There are Somalis from baadiyaha/rural who probably dont meet people from other regions and marry from the people around them who are likely their subsubsub clan or w.e.

My family are from Muqdisho, and my parents are from the same sub sub clan :hillarybiz:

As far as I know I don't have any grandparents who aren't from my subclan :browtf:

I'm pure as hell :ahh:

World

VIP
There are Somalis from baadiyaha/rural who probably dont meet people from other regions and marry from the people around them who are likely their subsubsub clan or w.e.
Not true most somalis in baadiye look outside their subclan for marriage, even historically. My great grandmothers are a mix of Isaaq and Majerteen. Marrying outside your sub clan was more beneficial as it brought alliances and ended conflict, I don't know about other clans but the Dhulbahante disliked marrying within.

Not true most somalis in baadiye look outside their subclan for marriage, even historically. My great grandmothers are a mix of Isaaq and Majerteen. Marrying outside your sub clan was more beneficial as it brought alliances and ended conflict, I don't know about other clans but the Dhulbahante disliked marrying within.

Tbh, that was the case for most Northern clans historically. I'm not sure about Southerners though.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Yes we marry amongst ourselves for the majority. However this has zero connections with IQ. How do you explain our successful states in the past.

The real reason they say it, is to demonize the 3th world, since we are the only ones that do it on a large scale.

By sharing this amongst ourselves on a public platform, you are just spreading misinformation. Nothing to be proud of.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
kHWpdZK.png

Source:

Most of the world has ROH Mb lenght of 50+, making Somalis with their 52 ROH Mb totally unremarkable and not inbred by global standards.

It's just that other Sub-Saharan Africans are odd with their very low ROH mb length.

rRLo8kk.png

You are so wrong, I don't know where to begin. The 52.2 number is a count of how many runs of homozygosity (ROH) exceed 1.5 Mbs. Your image is a count of ROH between 0.5-1 Mbs. It is totally irrelevant to this discussion. The number of ROH in this range is useful for detecting founder effects, but it is not very useful for detecting recent inbreeding.

Somalis, Oromo and Amhara all clearly exhibit a founder effect in comparison to other Africans. This is likely due to the fact that all three have significant Eurasian ancestry and exhibit a portion of the OOA founder effect present in all non Africans. You can see this most clearly when you compare Horn Africans to other Africans.
ROH AFRICA.png

Notice how high the Amhara, Somali and Oromo are in mean total ROH 0.3-1 Mbs? This is because of the Eurasian bottleneck. But because the Amhara and Oromo practice exogamy, their ROH above 5 Mb in length are many times fewer than Somalis. ROH greater than 5 Mb are almost always a sign of inbreeding. You can then see the spike in ROH greater than 8 Mbs among Somalis, i.e very recent inbreeding.

Take a look at the first column ROH less than 1.5 Mb. Somalis, Oromo and Amhara have values much higher than other Africans because of Eurasian ancestry. Somalis at 146 and the Kikuyu at 85 for example. Low effective population size does not explain why the mean FROH of Somalis is 7x that of the Amhara, your explanation does not even come close. The Amhara and Oromo do have larger effective populations than Somalis but just barely, and certainly not enough to explain why 48.7% of Somalis have a FROH that is greater than second cousins.

inbreeding 3.png

Apollo

VIP
You are so wrong, I don't know where to begin. The 52.2 number is a count of how many runs of homozygosity (ROH) exceed 1.5 Mbs. Your image is a count of ROH between 0.5-1 Mbs. It is totally irrelevant to this discussion. The number of ROH in this range is useful for detecting founder effects, but it is not very useful for detecting recent inbreeding.

Then those 39 Somalis are not at all representative of Somalis at large and they are indeed some villagers.

Others can chime in (@EDsomali):

Somalis are most definitely not inbred. This meme has to die because it isn't based in reality.

Apollo

VIP
Just realised that my result are being skewed by a few ROH, seem to be common though amongst other populations as well.

Chr 1 has a ROH of length 230 from position 121355922 to position 144901955 (23.55 Mb)

LMAO, my dude, sorry but you have some ancestry overlap, for real.

Trending

Latest posts