Somali Founder Effect & Genetic Diversity

Global-distribution-of-long-runs-of-homozygosity-The-average-total-length-of-the-genome.png

Most of the world has ROH mb of 50+, making Somalis with their 52 ROH mb totally unremarkable.

It's just that other Sub-Saharan Africans are odd with their very low ROH mb.

How have other Africans like the Oroma end up with such low ROH mb?

Apollo

VIP
How have other Africans like the Oroma end up with such low ROH mb?

Oromos have a history of conquest. They are a mixture of the 'real' Oromos and Agaws (a seperete ethnicity that became Oromized). Most studies tend to use those Agaw/Amhara-like Oromos around the Shewa region. You know the ones who look like Kenenisa Bekele and not like Somalis.

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
kHWpdZK.png

Source:

Most of the world has ROH Mb lenght of 50+, making Somalis with their 52 ROH Mb totally unremarkable and not inbred by global standard.

It's just that other Sub-Saharan Africans are odd with their very low ROH mb length.

rRLo8kk.png
Damn look how high the bar is for oceanians and amerindians

Apollo

VIP
This study used samples of somalis most likely from rural and isolate parts of somali galbeed with many ancestors that married within subclans it’s not representative of all somalis

:lol: I just checked my ROH length and it is 33 Mb (that study gave a Somali average of 33 Mb).

I don't think these are inbred samples, but standard unrelated ethnic Somalis (randomized sampling).

You can check your ROH length here (for those who did 23andMe):

BetterDaysAhead

VIP
:lol: I just checked my ROH length and it is 33 Mb (that study gave a Somali average of 33 Mb).

I don't think these are inbred samples, but standard unrelated ethnic Somalis (randomized sampling).

You can check your ROH length here (for those who did 23andMe):

So basically the african groups that got the lowest ROH length are groups like the oromo that tend to breed with different ethnic groups and the ones with a higher ROH length are groups that mainly breed within their ethnicity more and it doesn’t necessarily prove high amount of intersub clan or cousin marriages correct?

Apollo

VIP
So basically the african groups that got the lowest ROH length are groups like the oromo that tend to breed with different ethnic groups and the ones with a higher ROH length are groups that mainly breed within their ethnicity more and it doesn’t necessarily prove high amount of intersub clan or cousin marriages correct?

I think the higher ROH Length score Somalis have relative to other SSA is because they descend from a historically small population that lived around 3,000 years ago somewhere in Somaliweyn and then quickly expanded without really absorbing outsiders. I don't think it is because of recent inbreeding. It is a bit like the situation with Amerindians coming out of the Bering Strait, but much less extreme.

With other SSA, I think their lower score is mostly because they never underwent a population bottleneck.

BetterDaysAhead

VIP
I think the higher ROH Length score Somalis have relative to other SSA is because they descend from a historically small population that lived around 3,000 years ago somewhere in Somaliweyn and then quickly expanded without really absorbing outsiders. I don't think it is because of recent inbreeding. It is a bit like the situation with Amerindians coming out of the Bering Strait, but much less extreme.

With other SSA, I think their lower score is mostly because they never underwent a population bottleneck.
Makes a lot of sense, if you read @Thegoodshepherd post without knowing the facts of ROH lengths and bottlenecks you would’ve thought that we were a bunch of inbred mutants :mjlol:

Apollo

VIP
Where should I look at for results amongst all the stuff, and what numbers did you type in length?

Scroll to the bottom:

Total ROH Mb: **** <--- this number
Total genome Mb: ****
The detected ROHs account for **** of the reported genome.

I think your ROH will be low because of being 1/4 Yemeni.

The average Somali is genetically a product of second cousin marriage. If you keep marrying within your subclan, generation after generation, you will accrue enough homozygosity within that subclan such that any child from a marriage within that subclan is genetically inbred to a similar degree as the offspring of a second cousin marriage of unrelated people. Also keep in mind that first cousin marriage raises the FROH 4x more than a second cousin marriage. Many Somalis marry their first cousin.
Who are the other most inbred ethnicities in the World

Trending

Latest posts