Somali Founder Effect & Genetic Diversity

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
It seems that the average Somali is more inbred than the product of a normal second cousin marriage, and FROH (measure of inbreeding) of 0.015 for children of second cousins and a higher higher 0.018 for the average Somali. This is apparently due to present day preference for consanguineous marriage among Somali because we have many long runs of homozygous DNA. Very shocking news to me because inbreeding lower intelligence by quite a lot. Children of first cousin marriages have iqs about 10 points lower than average. Our neighbors the Oromo and and Amhara have extremely low rates of inbreeding by world standards.

Somalis being a small ethnic group originally does not explain this outcome btw.
View attachment 125137View attachment 125138

View attachment 125146

The 52.28 number is how many long runs of homozygosity (more than 1.5 Megabases) the average Somali has. Compare this figure to the Amhara and Oromo at 7.55 and 9.7.

The average Somalia has an FROH (measure of inbreeding) of 0.018 which is higher than children of second cousins, while the Amhara have levels 7x lower and the Oromo about 5.5x lower.

Almost half of all Somalis, 48.7%, are products of either first cousin marriage or second cousin marriage. Compare this to 0% of Oromo and Amhara!
This statistic blew my mind.

Source: https://sci-hub.tw/10.1007/s00439-019-02045-1
What if they got the amhara and oromo samples from the ones from major cities and towns and the Somali samples from the ones from rural isolated villages? This could explain the staggering difference

The average Somali is genetically a product of second cousin marriage. If you keep marrying within your subclan, generation after generation, you will accrue enough homozygosity within that subclan such that any child from a marriage within that subclan is genetically inbred to a similar degree as the offspring of a second cousin marriage of unrelated people. Also keep in mind that first cousin marriage raises the FROH 4x more than a second cousin marriage. Many Somalis marry their first cousin.
That is bs majority Somalis I’ve met are from two different qabil including me my mom is from the north and my dad is from the south but if you gonna look at inbred people I would say Arabs,Pakistanis and Afghans are known to marry first cousin

That is bs majority Somalis I’ve met are from two different qabil including me my mom is from the north and my dad is from the south but if you gonna look at inbred people I would say Arabs,Pakistanis and Afghans are known to marry first cousin
There are Somalis from baadiyaha/rural who probably dont meet people from other regions and marry from the people around them who are likely their subsubsub clan or w.e.

There are Somalis from baadiyaha/rural who probably dont meet people from other regions and marry from the people around them who are likely their subsubsub clan or w.e.
Ik that but that’s back home majority of Somalis in the diaspora and Somalis back home in the cities marry from outside their clans

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
How is that possible when historically, we used to avoid cousin marriages?
This study used samples of somalis most likely from rural and isolate parts of somali galbeed with many ancestors that married within subclans it’s not representative of all somalis

This study used samples of somalis most likely from rural and isolate parts of somali galbeed with many ancestors that married within subclans it’s not representative of all somalis

Everywhere you go in the world, people that live in rural areas tend to be inbred. I can imagine, if they did a study of Americans that live in small towns in the deep south, you would find they are very inbred. Americans already crack jokes about hillbillys marrying their cousins and being dumb.

Apollo

VIP
The inbred premise is misleading, I don't think Somalis are inbred in the true sense of the word. They merely descend from a small founding population (mentioned before here 'effective population size'). Bad choice of wording @Thegoodshepherd especially since how prone SomaliSpotters are at misinterpreting data.

Lastly, that is not an extensive list of Sub-Saharan Africa, only a handful of groups, so the claim ''the most'' is also dubious. The Rendille, Beja, Afar and many other smaller groups would easily beat Somalis collectively in that measurement.

Apollo

VIP
kHWpdZK.png

Source:

Most of the world has ROH Mb lenght of 50+, making Somalis with their 52 ROH Mb totally unremarkable and not inbred by global standards.

It's just that other Sub-Saharan Africans are odd with their very low ROH mb length.

rRLo8kk.png

Trending