Somali-Arab Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Waranle kulahaa waran kugu dhacyey magaciiba buu inooga ciyaarey, war wuxu gunsanaa

:susp:

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
What does it matter how the world thinks the definition of this or that is? Yes how you look affects the way people treat you, if you are perceived to be this or that then people will act accordingly, but that doesn't mean how I see myself is any less important to me than how other people view me.

What, if I just spoke Arabic? No. I have family members that are fluent but they're still Somali. If I was brought up in an Arab country, interacted with Arabs only, spoke Arabic as a first language then possibly.
The world matters saxib. Almost everything is made-man. Definitions sometimes change. When you currently look up the definition of Arab this comes up: "a member of a Semitic people, originally from the Arabian peninsula and neighboring territories, inhabiting much of the Middle East and North Africa." Yes, even though Arab isn't technically a race (defined), it's still a group of people. Even though American is not a race, it's socially easier to say you're an American, even though many people might still say 'Somali-American'.

Galaeri

USC | Ururka Bililiqada iyo Kufsiga
Welp this was a successful thread:lolbron:. But I started a fucking civilwar between Arab bashers that get triggered over of a simply fact, arab bootyclappers, and civil people that understand there are indeed cultural similarities.

The Point of this thread was to point out the simple fact that Somalis and Yemenis have very Similar cultures. I knew it would trigger the Arabbashing bandwagoners, and it sure as hell did

For those of you who think I'm an Arab bootyclapper. No one is begging for anything bc I don't think I'm an Arab, and consider myself a black African. But I also don't deny the fucking obvious fact that we indeed have cultural similarities with our Yemeni Arab neighbors we've been trading with for centuries.

+1 for @CaptainMajid :yousmart:because he put it simply and perfectly.

I'm signing the f*ck out and won't be responding to this thread, peace. :salute:

There is no backtracking you dirty arab bootyclapping apologist. Wear your label.

That's funny. Haplogroup does not denote genetic relationships between ethnic groups. It just tells you the genetic marker one of your ancestors carried.
Somalis are made up of an ancient extinct East African group and an ancient pre-Arab Middle Eastern group, which is why we carry haplogroups like T and N but not J, which was more recent.
If we had none of that West Asian admixture, we'd be equally distant from Arabs and Africans and be our own "race" genetically. But because of that admixture, when plotted on a PCA graph, Somalis plot closer to Arabs and even Europeans than West/South/Central Africans. You made the mistake of going by haplogroup alone.

You've pretty much just answered yourself.

VixR

Veritas
Your leader, your president..what rock r u guys under? The guy's been dead for years:icon lol:

If the OP's simply claiming we have Arab influences and similarities, it's pretty darn true.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
You've pretty much just answered yourself.
How?
I literally just said that had we not mixed with this Middle Eastern population, we'd be equally unrelated to both non-cushitic Africans and Arabs. But that admixture has shifted us a little towards the Arabs. We are still very distant towards both, but we're skewed slightly towards Arabs if we're plotted on a PCA graph.

How?
I literally just said that had we not mixed with this Middle Eastern population, we'd be equally unrelated to both non-cushitic Africans and Arabs. But that admixture has shifted us a little towards the Arabs. We are still very distant towards both, but we're skewed slightly towards Arabs if we're plotted on a PCA graph.

By saying that Somalis are made up of African and Non-arab Eurasian ancestry. Doesn't that mean this talk of Arab ancestry and cultural ties is a myth?

DNA test have already shown Somalis as pure east Africans as opposed to the Habesha who have some significant Arabian ancestry. Our middle-eastern mix preceded the Arabs by several millienia. There were other populations living in the Near East before the Arabs, you know.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
By saying that Somalis are made up of African and Non-arab Eurasian ancestry. Doesn't that mean this talk of Arab ancestry and cultural ties is a myth?

DNA test have already shown Somalis as pure east Africans as opposed to the Habesha who have some significant Arabian ancestry. Our middle-eastern mix preceded the Arabs by several millienia. There were other populations living in the Near East before the Arabs, you know.
Our DNA being made up of a pre-Arab populations makes the Arab ancestry a myth, but not the cultural ties. They still exist, whether we have Arab in us or not.

My point was that in terms of genetics we are not close to other Africans at all. The African component of our DNA is distinct and separated from Bantus by about 30,000 years. Remember that DNA-wise that's a massive amount of time. It also contains the genetic markers of an extinct African population, meaning we aren't closely related to any other modern day Africans. I'm well aware that there were populations before the Arabs.

Our DNA being made up of a pre-Arab populations makes the Arab ancestry a myth, but not the cultural ties. They still exist, whether we have Arab in us or not.

My point was that in terms of genetics we are not close to other Africans at all. The African component of our DNA is distinct and separated from Bantus by about 30,000 years. Remember that DNA-wise that's a massive amount of time. It also contains the genetic markers of an extinct African population, meaning we aren't closely related to any other modern day Africans. I'm well aware that there were populations before the Arabs.

:cosbyhmm:Maybe you're mistaking generic Muslim behaviour/cultural norms with having similar cultures. I honestly cannot come up with any cultural similarities between Somalis and Arabs. Macawis and khat don't count as those are superficial, more recent (like, within the last 100 years) and not indigenous (khat is Ethiopian and the macawis is south-east Asian).

Genetically, we are not close to anyone. This is because we are made up of two extinct population groups that are very distinct from other African and Asian population groups. But we are still ~60% black African on average. We are closer to Mtumbe from Uganda than we are to Ali from Yemen. No amount of verbal gymnastics can change that.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
:cosbyhmm:Maybe you're mistaking generic Muslim behaviour/cultural norms with having similar cultures. I honestly cannot come up with any cultural similarities between Somalis and Arabs. Macawis and khat don't count as those are superficial, more recent (like, within the last 100 years) and not indigenous (khat is Ethiopian and the macawis is south-east Asian).

Genetically, we are not close to anyone. This is because we are made up of two extinct population groups that are very distinct from other African and Asian population groups. But we are still ~60% black African on average. We are closer to Mtumbe from Uganda than we are to Ali from Yemen. No amount of verbal gymnastics can change that.
Look earlier in this thread to see some of the similarities we have.

Genetically we are not "close" to anyone, but we are closer to Arabs and even Europeans than Africans. This is fact.
sommtdna.png

Note that we aren't that far from African Americans because of their 15-20% European ancestry. We still skew slightly closer to Arabs and Europeans than West Africans, though not by a huge amount. We place smack dab between both groups, showing that we are a distinct people-group or "race", along with Ethiopians.
mp.jpg

Our conspicuous lack of any alleles that are ubiquitous within Sub-Saharan Africa, like the sickle-cell anemia gene, also show how separate we are from the rest of Africa, and the Middle East for that matter, since even they carry the gene in smaller amounts. Obviously I'm using a single gene here to further my point, but my point is that we share more genetically with non-African populations than we do with African ones.

Countries that border the Indian Ocean have been trading with one another for thousands of years. It's no wonder the cultures share many similarities.

IndianOceanMaritimeRoutes-e1449234474257.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts