So my cousin back home wants to marry his cousin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOMALIKNIGHT

Golan Heights belong to Syria
I advised him to go through with it cause after all it’s halal and they want to get married than they should but the girls parents think cousin marriage is wrong and because you’re like brother and sister to each other

They seem like they have a European mindset. Avoid that family

Not the last 30 yrs.
Tan kale raga waxa lagu aqrinyey jiiran akhira waa lagu weydiin inaadeerta

The last 30yrs is not a true reflection of Somali culture.

Even within my family there has been more cousin marriages now, than during my grandparents and parents generation.

As far away as possible the better.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Cousin marriages = accumulation of congenital birth anomalies. How can you even find a relative attractive? :mahubowtf: I consider even unrelated family friends a no-go zone. My walaal zone list is very large.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
So you know more than the Prophets who married their cousins?:francis:

And why am I going to compare myself to Prophets?

We do not live in a place with scarcity. People have options outside of close relatives. And there is nothing wrong with disapproving of cousin marriage. If it is so ideal why are dhegocase with the means doing premarital genetic screening? Because there is something not particularly healthy about intergenerational cousin marriages.
:drakekidding:

Last edited:

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
And why am I going to compare myself to Prophets?

We do not live in a place with scarcity. People have options outside of close relatives. And there is nothing wrong with disapproving of cousin marriage. If it was so ideal why are dhegocase with the means doing premarital genetic screening? Because there is something not particularly healthy about intergenerational cousin marriages.
:drakekidding:
If it was unhealthy, Allah swt would not have made it Halal. There are many benefits to marrying your cousin:samwelcome:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
If it was unhealthy, Allah swt would not have made it Halal. There are many benefits to marrying your cousin:samwelcome:

Just because it is permissible doesn't make it obligatory, nor optimal.

People are not restricted to the six mile radius of their home. They can travel further distances to look for a spouse and don't need to marry who is in their genetic backyard.

The only thing cousin marriage was useful for was familial wealth preservation.

1st Cousins share 12.5% of the same DNA. Double cousins share 25% of the same DNA. Imagine if those double cousins were also first cousins. :wtf: And imagine if they had a practice/custom of following this as a tradition for generations. They would be worse off than Saudis with a high prevalence of those 'fancy' blood diseases.

And the offspring of double cousins from two sets of identicals are genetic siblings. I suppose in that likelihood (though rare) its totally haram.

Last edited:
Cousin marriages are the best because divorce will never happen. The wife will be shamed within her clan and the husband's clan. She also shames your immediate family if she gives you problems. But it also keeps the husband a good man because he cannot mistreat her. It will look bad on him. My parents are from different clans and my wife is from a different clan but our marriages are blessed. We will never have problems but cousin marriages is like motor insurance and you are protected.
That would mean if one of them becomes abusive it is even harder to get out. Living in a miserable life. Better to marry out side of your family atleast then if it ends your you wont have the whole family ganging up on you lol

A historical book on Somalis which focused more on the Isaaq and Issa. They were not against it, but avoided it as they married their daughters and sons to non relatives to strengthen ties.
Marka Issaq and Issa represent all somalis??

Most somalis as recent as 1990 have been marrying cousins since the war and tribal clashes.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Just because it is permissible doesn't make it obligatory, nor optimal.

People are not restricted to the six mile radius of their home. They can travel further distances to look for a spouse and don't need to marry who is in their genetic backyard.

The only thing cousin marriage was useful for was familial wealth preservation.

1st Cousins share 12.5% of the same DNA. Double cousins share 25% of the same DNA. Imagine if those double cousins were also first cousins. :wtf: And imagine if they had a practice/custom of following this as a tradition for generations. They would be worse off than Saudis with a high prevalence of those 'fancy' blood diseases.

And the offspring of double cousins from two sets of identicals are genetic siblings. I suppose in that likelihood (though rare) its totally haram.

Only Royal families systematically marry 1st cousins for 100s of years and are completely inbred which is not what im advocating:damn:

Last edited:
Marka Issaq and Issa represent all somalis??

Most somalis as recent as 1990 have been marrying cousins since the war and tribal clashes.

Exactly whilst cousin marriages was something that did happen, it rarely happened to the extent that it is happening now

Like I said the last 30yrs is not a true reflection of Somali culture.

I don't have a problem with cousin marriages, but it is encouraged to marry from outside. We shouldn't become like the Pakistanis, they have a high rate of disability due to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending