Should We Change It To "Erythraic"?

• Yes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No. Keep it as Cushitic

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • We should change it to something else.

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

Apollo

VIP
Kush has nothing to do with Cushitic-speakers. In fact, even the Kerma Culture weren't even Cushites according to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushitic_languages#Extinct_languages

So we're, again, using the name of something that has nothing to do with Cushitic-speakers.

There are theories that the Kerma culture were Afro-Asiatic rather than Nilo-Saharan. Anyhow, there is no strong evidence either way. Some butthurt Afrocentrist recently removed some of those references reffering to Cushitic Kerma on that wikipedia page, look at the edit history.

What I like about the name Cushitic is that those early linguists ironically got the region where Cushitic came from, which is North Sudan, correct.

The kingdom of Kush was not Cushitic-speaking and it remains to be seen if they were ethnically. So yeah I’m down for the change

I highly doubt they were like Dinkas. There already is some genomic data from the early Christian period Nubians (not far removed from those earlier Kingdoms) and they are more or less similar to modern-day Nubians.

I have no issues with a name change. I doubt it will happen, but who knows.

Apollo

VIP
Alright, so any good names besides the already proposed Erythraic?

If we are similarly going to hijack a civilzation's name, why not Puntic? It's slightly more correct than Kush.

If we are going to use river names (Niger-Congo is based on rivers), how about Nilo-Jubba or Nilo-Tana.

:hmm:

Alright, so any good names besides the already proposed Erythraic?

If we are similarly going to hijack a civilzation's name, why not Puntic? It's slightly more correct than Kush.

If we are going to use river names (Niger-Congo is based on rivers), how about Nilo-Jubba or Nilo-Tana.

:hmm:

Puntic makes more sense, since Punt would've been located on the Red Sea coast of HOA.

were the people of punt cushitic speakers though?

Punt was coastal Horn of Africa from Eritrea to northern Somalia and the inhabitants were most likely proto lowland East Cushitic.

The study on mummified hamadryas baboons imported from Punt matched with living baboons in Eritrea, northeast Ethiopia and eastern Somalia (eastern Somaliland + Puntland).

shum33

Somaliland supremacy
Punt was coastal Horn of Africa from Eritrea to northern Somalia and the inhabitants were most likely proto lowland East Cushitic.

The study on mummified hamadryas baboons imported from Punt matched with living baboons in Eritrea, northeast Ethiopia and eastern Somalia (eastern Somaliland + Puntland).
Thats basic knowledge sxb