Shaykh Abd Al-Rahman bin Ahmad al-Zayla'i ( early 19th century - 1882)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"
Al-Zayla'i was born in the rural village of Kedilai northwest of Mogadishu. Under the supervision of the local Ulema, he studied elementary ilm until he absorbed all they could teach him. Eventually surpassing his teachers, he decided to move to Mogadishu, where he obtained knowledge from the great scholars of the city including Sheikh Isma'il b. Umar al-Maqdishi.

Shaykh al-Zayla'i traveled to various Islamic centers in the Horn of Africa, honing his intellectual skills. After completing his education, he returned to his home village. He then established a community of pupils near Qulunquul, setting out to spread the Qadiriyyah order throughout the upper Shebelle region. This enhanced his reputation and also helped the order gain considerable success amongst the region's pastoralists, the religious elite, and the villagers of the interior."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abd_Al-Rahman_bin_Ahmad_al-Zayla'i

"Born at Mubarak town, southeast of Huddur , in the region of Bokool (formerly Alta Giuba) Somalia. He belonged to the Diso subclan of the Godle clan. According to his hagiographer, al-Zayla’i was a person who did not fear encounters with with other learned men or with sultans and who was accustomed to the society of poor people, for he believed they were identical in status if not in power to sultans, sayids, and amirs. His belief in humility and a common brotherhood was shown once when he was teaching Arabic syntax in the grand mosque in Harar. Among the students was Emir Abdallah, the sultan of the city, who used to sit on a platform raised above the floor, like a throne, while listening to the lectures. When al-Zayla’i finished his lesson, the sultan complained,“I understood nothing of what you said Sheikh Abdurahman!” As he was the sultan, no one dared to argue with him, but al-Zayla’i answered, “Sultan, you are a proud man and knowledge does not enter the heart of the proud. Your lack of understanding was all because you sat raised above the others while you listened to the knowledge.” The sultan accepted the honest words of the Sheikh and his sincere advice and, humiliated and degraded, sat down with the students and listened humbly.
Al-Zayla’i left Mubarak, his home town, after he completed his Qur’anic ed-ucation and went off to
Mogadishu for further Islamic studies, leaving behind wife and two daughters. After two years, he returned home, shocked to dis-cover that the ulema of his own clan had divorced him from his wife because of his long absence. He was so annoyed by this fasakh (compulsory divorce),contrived by the Diso ulema, that he laid habaar (a curse) on them: “No Diso ‘alim will live long.” Thus, until today, every Diso ‘alim dies young. It is believed that al-Zayla’i left home and never returned.

In Mogadishu, al-Zayla’i studied under prominent Banadiri ulemas, including Sheikh Abu Bakr ibn Mihdar and Sheikh Abdirahman Sufi, but hereceived his mystical training from his murshid (spiritual guide), Sheikh Is-ma’il al-Maqdishi. Al-Zayla’i served the sheikh until he mastered Sufi matters. He was then advised to go to Mecca to receive the ijazah from Sayid Fadl al-Qadiri. On pilgrimage from Mogadishu, he passed through Harar,where he remained after his return, preaching and teaching Islam for a period of time. Around 1850, al-Zayla’i came to Mogadishu to ask his murshid, Sheikh Isma’il al-Maqdishi, for permission to go and spread Islam and the Qadiriyya order among the Ogadens. About 1860, al-Zayla’i moved to southwest Ethiopia and established a jama’a settlement at Qulunquul. At this point, al-Zayla’i’s hagiographer says, Zayla’i’s prestige became“well–diffused,” his reputation “spread as far as the horizons,” and his rank was raised “in the towns and countryside."

Al-Zayla’i is considered a man of literature. His works were numerous,but unfortunately most of them have been lost. The few that have been published concern Arabic language, grammar, syntax, and morphology. He composed a rhyming treatise on ‘ Ilm al-Sarf (Arabic morphology) called Fath al-Latif Sharh Hadiqat al-Tasrif
(A syntax of Arabic language), published in Cairo in 1938. In addition, Sheikh Abdirahman was a poet and wrote numerous collections on Islamic topics, most of which have been put together into one volume,al-Majmuu’ah al-Mushtamalah (A complete collection), including nine poems covering Sufism, Islam, and the Qadiriyya or-der. This collection was also published in Cairo in 1972.

Al-Zayla’i died and was buried at Qulunqul on 5 Rabi’al-Thani, 1299 A.H. (24 February 1882). His students and followers continued spreading his message for the Qadiriyya order under a branch, al-Zayla’iyya, named after him .Remarkable powers have been attributed to al-Zayla’i’s shrine. Although it is described as being situated in a “dangerous and remote place,” the shrine is renowned as “the refuge of the traveler, and the troubled and those in need."

One of his poems were in regards to the 'burda'. What is a BURDA?

"A piece of Prophet Muhammad’s cloth given to Ka’b ibn Zuhayr as a reward for his poem in praise of the Prophet. But the “Burda” also became the name of the most celebrated poem on the same subject, by al-Busiri, the Egyptian poet. According to a legend, al-Busiri composed the poem after he was cured of a paralytic stroke when the Prophet threw a mantle over al-Busiri’s shoulders as he had done for Ka’b ibn Zuhayr. The fame of this miraculous healing spread throughout the Islamic world and the poem be-came used as a therapeutic subject for all ailments, particularly paralytic strokes. In Somalia, the “Burda” is used as a charm and recited over ill peo-ple and at burials

The legacy of the “Burda” is remarkable in terms of the poem’s impact on Somali religious poetry, particularly on poems composed in Arabic. The mul-tiple meters used in the “Burda,” such as the takhmis,
the tathlith, and the tashtir, have been employed by the Somali religious poems. This is very clearin the poems of
Sheikh Abdirahman al-Zayla’i in praise of the Prophet, namely: “Mawlid Rabi’al-‘Ushaq fi Dkikr Mawlid Sahib al-Buraq,” known as“Rabi’al-‘Ushaq,” and “Mahijat al-Afrah fi Madh Sayyidna Muhammad Nural-Arwah,” known as “Nur al-Arwah.” The latter was written in 100 verses.

Many Qadiri sheikhs later employed the method of multiple meters. The “Burda,” along with the “Rabi’al-‘Ushaq” and “Nur al-Arwah,” are frequently recited in Somalia during the Mawlid (the Prophet Muhammad’s birthday), which falls on 12 Rabi’al-Awal; during the ziyara
(visitation) tothe shrines of Somali saints and tariqa leaders; and in the month of Ram-adan, particularly on
Laylatul-Qadri (the Night of Power), which falls on 27 Ramadan. The poems are also recited in Laylat al-Isra’wa al-Mi’raj (theNight of Journey and Ascent), which falls on 27 Rajab"

Certainly an interesting individual.

@Young Popeye

@Grant Sheikh Zayla'i met Shiekh Uways by the way.

For those who don't know, I made a thread of Shiekh Uways aun a while

back https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...araawe-who-revived-islam-in-africa-aun.16705/

C191EwMWgAAD8Ya.jpg

Last edited:

Iftiin

Dhulbahante Mujahid //Anti Qabilnimo// Pro Shariah
This BURDA you speak of is complete BID'AH (innovation) !

Jabir ibn Abdullah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, would praise Allah in his sermon as He deserves to be praised and then he would say, “Whoever Allah guides, no one can lead him astray. Whoever Allah sends astray, no one can guide him. The truest word is the Book of Allah and the best guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The most evil matters are those that are newly invented, for every newly invented matter is an innovation and every innovation is misguidance and every misguidance is in the Hellfire.

The Mawlid is also another BID'AH (innovation) you are promoting. Be careful of this guy!

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
Whoever Allah guides, no one can lead him astray. Whoever Allah sends astray, no one can guide him.

Why is Allah stirring the pot? What's the point if he's playing a direct role in who goes to heaven and who goes to hell?

Iftiin

Why is Allah stirring the pot? What's the point if he's playing a direct role in who goes to heaven and who goes to hell?

Allah is closer to us than our jugular vein. He knows us better than we know ourselves. If he has sent someone astray it is because of self harm that person has inflicted upon themselves by committing evil and there was no goodness to be found in them. If at some stage these individuals decide to turn back to Allah then they can not do so except with his permission, but He is Oft Forgiving Most Merciful.

what1.gif

In what way does Zeila sound like Zebra :what1:

Good god :dwill:
It's worse than I thought. Your senility is advancing extremely quickly.
We must wheel you off to the retirement home ASAP!
Megansett-gallery-3.jpg

That's how it's spelled. The U.K probably pronounces "zee" as "zed"(even more evidence to hint at your inferiority), balayo kugu dacthay, war iga amus intana habar kugu karbashin! Dabalkatahay was!!!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
That's how it's spelled. The U.K probably pronounces "zee" as "zed"(even more evidence to hint at your inferiority), balayo kugu dacthay, war iga amus intana habar kugu karbashin! Dabalkatahay was!!!
:browtf:
Just remember that you guys started as a British colony :kodaksmiley:
You call us inferior but fail to realise that you managed to get Trump elected :drakelaugh:
Just remember that you have a higher chance of getting shot while crossing the street than you do finding a dollar on the floor :pacspit:

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
Allah is closer to us than our jugular vein. He knows us better than we know ourselves. If he has sent someone astray it is because of self harm that person has inflicted upon themselves by committing evil and there was no goodness to be found in them. If at some stage these individuals decide to turn back to Allah then they can not do so except with his permission, but He is Oft Forgiving Most Merciful.

Right...because someone like Bill Gates is evil, and has no goodness to be found in him. He's done more good for humanity than 99% of the Muslim population. More people will end up in eternal hell fire than heaven. I refuse to believe in a God who creates beings and actively plays a part in their down fall just so he can torture them in the cruelest of ways.

Just remember that you guys started as a British colony :kodaksmiley:

We have surpassed you! You guys are our loyal es along with the rest of Europe!! :fittytousand:

For fucks sake, our country is 40x bigger than yours!
You call us inferior but fail to realise that you managed to get Trump elected :drakelaugh:

Trump > Hillary. Besides, we made a mistake like all people do. Unlike you, we don't have an outdated monarchy where the tabloids stalk a hippie prince and his love life. I'm looking at you Harry and Meghan Markle.:farole:

Just remember that you have a higher chance of getting shot while crossing the street than you do finding a dollar on the floor :pacspit:

Who says I'm just your random joe across the street? They call me the KING.

upload_2017-4-18_19-27-1.jpeg

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
We have surpassed you! You guys are our loyal es along with the rest of Europe!! :fittytousand:

For fucks sake, our country is 40x bigger than yours!
Your country is going to collapse soon enough with the oaf you have in charge right now. Laugh while you can :lolbron:

Trump > Hillary. Besides, we made a mistake like all people do. Unlike you, we don't have an outdated monarchy where the tabloids stalk a hippie prince and his love life. I'm looking at you Harry and Meghan Markle.:farole:
Ironic coming from the citizen of a country that has the media post shit like this about their own actors.
Capture.PNG

Great news :ivers:

Who says I'm just your random joe across the street? They call me the KING.

upload_2017-4-18_19-27-1-jpeg.16117
How long has it been since your last pill? This is worrying, we need to get you back on your medication, the delusion is setting in.

Your country is going to collapse soon enough with the oaf you have in charge right now. Laugh while you can :lolbron:

Ironic coming from the citizen of a country that has the media post shit like this about their own actors.
View attachment 16118
Great news :ivers:

How long has it been since your last pill? This is worrying, we need to get you back on your medication, the delusion is setting in.

Don't bring up Buzzfeed waryahe, diigkar bad isin. Gotta get back on the meds. Wee kuu damatay markan so noqtho. Iska qosol hada. Sii wacan baan ku garaacii. Iska suug. :mjkkk:

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Don't bring up Buzzfeed waryahe, diigkaar bad isin. Gotta get back on the meds. Wee kuu damatay markan so noqtho. Iska qosol hada. Sii wacan baan ku garaacii. Iska suug. :mjkkk:
Orod bax. Go take your crazy pills. You couldn't take the heat, you shouldn't have entered the kitchen in the first place. Fulay :mjlol:

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
Poem of ka'ab ibn zuhayr r. a, he recited it before the prophet off the top of his head, and when he reached the lines 'Inna rasuulun sayfun yustadhaa' u bihi, muhannadun min suyufillahi masluulu ' the prophet adorned him with his cloak, later on Muawiyah r.a bought it off him of his children, and the bani ummayah used it in their Friday sermons.

Iftiin

You just won the Gold in mental gymnastics, congratulations...

https://www.gatesnotes.com/2017-Annual-Letter?WT.mc_id=02_14_2017_02_AL2017GFO_GF-GFO_&WT.tsrc=GFGFO

Bill gates, his wife and others like him, do not deserve to go to hell.

No one deserves infinite punishment for finite transgressions. Especially for the petty reasons described in the Abrahamic religions.

You've displayed your racism, and hatefulness to me, so I know you aren't a good person. You're an evil being and so is everyone who thinks the way you do. I say that, because you've called for the death of others on this forum, and you agree with the cruelty of your ideology. Your god can't be considered merciful or kind either since he creates for the purpose of eternal torture. You also can't say your religion is one of peace, since you and I both know that is far beyond the truth.

First of all I'm not racist at all and if i hate you it's because of your disbelief. Now with that said allow me to just clarify a few things really quickly for you. We do not only believe that Allah is just good and omnipotent. We believe that part of Allah's names and attributes include ‘the Just’, ‘the Severe in Punishment’, ‘the Wise’, ‘the Avenger’, and ‘the Compassionate’, amongst many others. Your perceived evil and suffering in the world can be due to,

• Allah's punishment as a result of our sins and bad actions.

• Allah's wisdom, as there may be divine wisdom in permitting evil and suffering. Even if we can’t evaluate what the wisdom is, it doesn’t mean it is not there. To argue such a thing would be a logical fallacy, known as the argument from ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam).

First of all I'm not racist at all and if i hate you it's because of your disbelief.

Racists hate people because of their skin, you hate people because of their beliefs. Is there really any difference? :comeon: Either way, you're a bigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending