Regional accents/dialects in the Somali peninsula

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Am i the only who struggles to understand Somali spoken in a region far from your own?

I, and many people from Somaliland struggle to understand Somali when someone from other regions speak it. I have to listen in closely to understand what they are saying. :cosbyhmm:

Can you understand this dialect and guess which region it's spoken

Walaal waxan kun nirih maad garanesa meesha xawlaada ku taalo diigo raali yah na tilmaamsi

Walaalo gaclow bidix u leex tabkayada jaadka agtee marintid toos u soco dabedna midig ku qabo xaa ka soo hor baxya maharedyo badan bidix ku qabo isgoyska jiirsi toos u soco xarunta ciidanka ag mar shukratil yawmi lag hela xawlaada

Jooh waaba hilmamne mar labad ma igu soo celin karta waxd igu tiri

Every Somali dialect, apart from some in Middle and Lower Shabelle, is clear.and fully understandable. The ones from those two regions can be understandable to certain extent but if spoken fast then :yacadiim:.

Tukraq

VIP
Waqooyi accent accent is the standard Somali and the purest form of the language. The rest have too many Italian and Bantu loanwords.

I can't tell the difference between a mudug Bari and Mlgadishu accents wallahi. All koonfurians have a similar dialect
Bari isn’t konfur

Tukraq

VIP
Waqooyi accent accent is the standard Somali and the purest form of the language. The rest have too many Italian and Bantu loanwords.

I can't tell the difference between a mudug Bari and Mlgadishu accents wallahi. All koonfurians have a similar dialect
Waqoyi is also defiantly not the purest literally filled with Arabic loan words lol, purest form is our standard national mudug accent

Waqoyi is also defiantly not the purest literally filled with Arabic loan words lol, purest form is our standard national mudug accent

and Ogaden from deep Ogadeniya, in fact i find those from mudug and Ogadeniya have the same very asli pure ascent and little arabic or italian or english words

HG, Ogaden, marehan, cumar muxamuud seem to have the purest accent with most asli somali, hence why standard somali is Ogadeniya/Mudug/galgaduud accent,

next time listen to a dude from Ogadeniya or Mudug, they have the clearest af somali, very few foreign words and use big words in original way

like a gilr is not gabar, its gabadh, but they dont also say it with qaldhaan way like 1door , those guys speak asli

reminds me of a joke between an 1door and a warsengali, they asked each other with is the somali word for lighter, to light sigaar, the 1door used english word, the warsenglai used arabic word, so they said lets go to the family of the great Sayid, since they speak asli af somali and are the nation of poets,

they went to an Ogaden man and he gave them 5 asli somalia words, sadly i forgot them all,

did you also know Ogadens have a word for planets, television, washing machine, car that is not connected to any language like arabic, italian, english etc, their own asli words, some times my father amazes me at his language and how asli and superior it is, masha Allah and the ones that come closest is reer mududg/galgaduud, maybe because they border Ogadeniya,

i ocne sat with an Ogaden ddue from Imay, western Ogadeniya, it was raining, he taught me words i never knew, the months for af somali, the days, even when the grass is wet after rain (its called hiksim) so many words for camels, the word for please, thank yuo, asli somali,

these guys did not produce the most famous somali poets centuries ago for no reason, waa masters of af somali, but also reer mudug make other somalis sound silly, they have asli pure somali, specially HG i noticed, so different from those abowe noh noh noh arlee reer xamars,

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas

This is a step further than they speak funny, but I can’t say I haven’t heard it said before lol.

and Ogaden from deep Ogadeniya, in fact i find those from mudug and Ogadeniya have the same very asli pure ascent and little arabic or italian or english words

HG, Ogaden, marehan, cumar muxamuud seem to have the purest accent with most asli somali, hence why standard somali is Ogadeniya/Mudug/galgaduud accent,
People in Somali state don't have the same accent. People from Faafan region have the same accent as Awdal, Gebiley and Sitti region. Same for the people of Dhagaxbuur(most of) and Togdheer, then Doolo region and Mudug region.

People in Somali state don't have the same accent. People from Faafan region have the same accent as Awdal, Gebiley and Sitti region. Same for the people of Dhagaxbuur(most of) and Togdheer, then Doolo region and Mudug region.

i would say those from dagaxbuur are half half, some reer isaaaq Ogaden sound like their reer abti the isaaqs maybe due to intermarriage but you can still tell the very strong ogaden accent pulling them in, like those reer siaaq who amrry reer cabdulle,

warder, qabridahar, imay, bascially mohamed zubeer lands and makahl ogaden sound the same, sound similar to those from mudug,

but an Ogaden like me can tell cabdallah ogaden from goday sounds a little bit different than a makahil from warder or an reer cabdulle from imay/qabridahar, but over all the same

then yuo get cawlayahan from afhdeer, to be honest never met one, i only met those cawlyahan from garisa/habasweyn and jubaland,

Ogaden i would say has the most varied, i am reer kismayo and me and my dad are like a scottish and an australian, he is from qabridhahar, then my grandmother born in kismayo but lived in garisa for over 50 years

we have 3 accents, reer waamo (jubaland), galti which is Ogadeniya and sujui which is reer NFd,

also we use a lot of different words, i would say bilcaan for female as i am from kismayo, my galti cousins would say inan, huunada, gabadha,

regardless of which Ogaden region we are from in the horn, after shahada we are all thought to say agah as babies, so we can recognise each other, thus when i land in jigjiga i say it loud or in kismayo airport so the security man know who i am and i get looked after, no harassment unlike in xamar airport where i was forced to pay a bribe once, in kismayo they say ugaas please walk this way, ,

not really bro, i would never say a jidwaq and a gadabursi have the same accent, no way, specially a jidwaq from jigjiga and a gadabursi dude from awdal? nah, the gadabursi has a very unique accent, so different from isaaq, Absame etc, like how a south african white is different from zimbabwe white, very close but you can still detect the difference, or an aussie and a kiwi , so close yet an expert ear can tell them apart, kiwi is more nasal in phonetics, i like gadabursi accent, its very diplomatic and their girls sound sweet,

i would say those from dagaxbuur are half half, some reer isaaaq Ogaden sound like their reer abti the isaaqs maybe due to intermarriage but you can still tell the very strong ogaden accent pulling them in, like those reer siaaq who amrry reer cabdulle,

warder, qabridahar, imay, bascially mohamed zubeer lands and makahl ogaden sound the same, sound similar to those from mudug,

but an Ogaden like me can tell cabdallah ogaden from goday sounds a little bit different than a makahil from warder or an reer cabdulle from imay/qabridahar, but over all the same

then yuo get cawlayahan from afhdeer, to be honest never met one, i only met those cawlyahan from garisa/habasweyn and jubaland,

Ogaden i would say has the most varied, i am reer kismayo and me and my dad are like a scottish and an australian, he is from qabridhahar, then my grandmother born in kismayo but lived in garisa for over 50 years

we have 3 accents, reer waamo (jubaland), galti which is Ogadeniya and sujui which is reer NFd,

also we use a lot of different words, i would say bilcaan for female as i am from kismayo, my galti cousins would say inan, huunada, gabadha,

regardless of which Ogaden region we are from in the horn, after shahada we are all thought to say agah as babies, so we can recognise each other, thus when i land in jigjiga i say it loud or in kismayo airport so the security man know who i am and i get looked after, no harassment unlike in xamar airport where i was forced to pay a bribe once, in kismayo they say ugaas please walk this way, ,
Dont know about people from qabridahar or godey but people from dhagaxbuur use the same Dh as us and don't say sameynahayaa, doonahayaa like reer mudug. Even Raage Ugaas used Dh like reer waqooyi.

not really bro, i would never say a jidwaq and a gadabursi have the same accent, no way, specially a jidwaq from jigjiga and a gadabursi dude from awdal? nah, the gadabursi has a very unique accent, so different from isaaq, Absame etc, like how a south african white is different from zimbabwe white, very close but you can still detect the difference, or an aussie and a kiwi , so close yet an expert ear can tell them apart, kiwi is more nasal in phonetics, i like gadabursi accent, its very diplomatic and their girls sound sweet,
There're minor differences but they're mostly same. Compare a person from Jigjiga to reer gebiley. There might be slight differences but you won't notice them unless you're from there.

Dont know about people from qabridahar or godey but people from dhagaxbuur use the same Dh as us and don't say sameynahayaa, doonahayaa like reer mudug. Even Raage Ugaas used Dh like reer waqooyi.

well first of all i dont think you know Raage ugaas bro, he is Maalnguur, reer cabdulle from Fiiq, not dagaxbuur, and trust me, he is 350 years dead, meaning he is from 1650s, the famous poet (and he was a prince too since he is a grandson of King Ugaas xirsi and a nephew of King Ugaas Warfa - Warfa is the twin of Raage's father Ugaas Samatar Ugaas xirsi, anyways people reading his poem today maybe reading it like that with a strong dh,

about those from dagaxbuur, reer isaaq a mohamed zubeer clan, i agree, but its 50/50, those who mmarry 1door are like that but those who marry other mohamed zubeer sound likeus, trust me, my ayeeyo is reer isaaq dagaxbuur, it depedns who they have as their reer abti, byt vast majority sound like us caghdeer, its just the few who have yuo lot as reer abti who sound like yuo, but if my dad was to speak to him, he would staright away speak with neutral asli Ogaden accent, the universal accent,

dont get me wrong, 1door speak much better af somali than vast majority of somali, but sometimes they speak funny, like if you ask where is Ali , he will reply Ali duushoo qabtaye, meaning ali is holding up, but he means he went upstairs, its funny speak like that most southerners dont get , but a universal asli somali speaker like me who has 1door cousins and habar yunis blood, i can understand,

well first of all i dont think you know Raage ugaas bro, he is Maalnguur, reer cabdulle from Fiiq, not dagaxbuur, and trust me, he is 350 years dead, meaning he is from 1650s, the famous poet (and he was a prince too since he is a grandson of King Ugaas xirsi and a nephew of King Ugaas Warfa - Warfa is the twin of Raage's father Ugaas Samatar Ugaas xirsi, anyways people reading his poem today maybe reading it like that with a strong dh,

about those from dagaxbuur, reer isaaq a mohamed zubeer clan, i agree, but its 50/50, those who mmarry 1door are like that but those who marry other mohamed zubeer sound likeus, trust me, my ayeeyo is reer isaaq dagaxbuur, it depedns who they have as their reer abti, byt vast majority sound like us caghdeer, its just the few who have yuo lot as reer abti who sound like yuo, but if my dad was to speak to him, he would staright away speak with neutral asli Ogaden accent, the universal accent,

dont get me wrong, 1door speak much better af somali than vast majority of somali, but sometimes they speak funny, like if you ask where is Ali , he will reply Ali duushoo qabtaye, meaning ali is holding up, but he means he went upstairs, its funny speak like that most southerners dont get , but a universal asli somali speaker like me who has 1door cousins and habar yunis blood, i can understand,
Raage ugaas lived in the 1800s sxb. He even made poems to Wiil Waal and some isaaq poets who lived in that century. I don't think your reer abti theory is correct unless you think almost all of reer isaaq in Dhagaxbuur have isaaq reer abti. You can go to YouTube and find videos from that town and listen to their accent.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Standard Somali is the Somali spoken in Dollo region of Ethiopia. This is the standard Somali that B. W Andrzejewski, Muuse Galaal and Shire Jaamac Axmad chose to use when writing the language.

Raage ugaas lived in the 1800s sxb. He even made poems to Wiil Waal and some isaaq poets who lived in that century. I don't think your reer abti theory is correct unless you think almost all of reer isaaq in Dhagaxbuur have isaaq reer abti. You can go to YouTube and find videos from that town and listen to their accent.

no bro, not to king wiil waal, but to his grandson , farax wiil waal in the famous marriage saga nd the 4 horses, both are from 300/350 years ago, raaeg never met king wiil waal, but we went to war with farax wiil waal when jidwaaq stole our royal title, we got it back,

and all the dagaxbuur reer isaaq (mohamed zubeer sub clan) i know never speak like 1door except those who were raised in hargeysa or have reer abti they grew up with on the 1door side of the border, Ogaden has one universal accent in Ogadeniya and its like English home counties accents, little variations but still pretty much the same over all,

reer isaaq speak perfect somali, listen to the ONLF leader admiralka, he is reer isaaaq and compare him to an 1door like warabe, no way do they sound the same, these are my people, i know what they sound like man, agah,

Trending

Latest posts