Regional accents/dialects in the Somali peninsula

Discussion in 'General' started by Killua, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:22 AM.

1. Killua

Killua

Ratings:
    +67
    Am i the only who struggles to understand Somali spoken in a region far from your own?

I, and many people from Somaliland struggle to understand Somali when someone from other regions speak it. I have to listen in closely to understand what they are saying. :cosbyhmm:

• Qashin Qashin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tukraq

Tukraq

Ratings:
    +8,626
    Yeah your probably the only one, are you slow or something, unless you mean maymay, the rest are easy to understand

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ahmed sheikh

Ahmed sheikh Pan-islamist

Ratings:
    +186
    I don't know about you but I could understand any Somali dialect except Af maay. It's like an American who says he doesn't understand British or Australian English. Your probably trolling or something.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Killua

Killua

Ratings:
    +67
    No wallahi, its legit difficult for many Slanders to understand and even differentiate between othe regional accents and what they are saying.

Its just my observation, you dont have to agree with me and im not trolling.

5. Killua

Killua

Ratings:
    +67
    hmm, i guess its easier for southerners to understand other southerners as opposed to someone from waqooy understading you lot innit.

Maybe is because im not in an environment where im exposed to Somalis from other regions regularly

6. Apollo

Apollo Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +34,558
    Your Somali must suck.

Even though my Somali is mediocre, I can understand all Somali accents just fine.

To give an example: there's way more divergence between German regional accents than between Somali regional accents (I speak both languages).

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Killua

Killua

Ratings:
    +67
    Yeh, im starting to think its a common theme for people from my specific region.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Teeri-Alpha

Teeri-Alpha VIP

Ratings:
    +3,678

maybe he is Isaaq,

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Molotoff

Molotoff Supreme Bosniak Geeljire

Ratings:
    +2,799

I didn't know you were reer Deutschland?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. MoeMoney

MoeMoney

Ratings:
    +668
    Stop trying to be unique. All Somalis can understand each other. A person from Xamar, bari, and Hargeisa understand each other perfectly.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Shibbane

Shibbane

Ratings:
    +81
    I can understand all Somalis perfectly; even a good % of afmaay.

If you ignore the accent and pay attention to the words then you should be ok.

Is it possible northerners think highly of themselves and think their Somali is the best and maybe, just maybe, that makes them uninterested in other Somalis? Just asking.

12. Macalin M

Macalin M Ciyaalka xaafada

Ratings:
    +1,854
    Ermm how do I put this? I believe... your Somali may be trash. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. VantaBlack

VantaBlack

Ratings:
    +328
    I speak with a Mudug Somali accent and understand all regions and dialects just fine.

Some of the most divergent accents are up north or in the Banaadir region. In my opinion Mudug accent is the purest form of the language understood easily by all.

• Like Like x 3
  14. IslamIsTheAnswer

IslamIsTheAnswer

Ratings:
    +3,872
    I speak with a mudug accent, which is standard Somali.

I can understand southern accents just fine except for reer xamar cad cads.
    Southern accents sound more friendly and outgoing, while mudug sounds formal and grave. Surprisingly, a lot of southerners cannot distinguish between mudug and waqoyi accents and I'm constantly asked if i am from Djibouti or Somaliland. These two accents share some similarities but are also evidently different.

Waqoyi accents sound good and clear if spoken by an educated or middle class person, but can turn into something incomprehensible and hostile sounding otherwise. Also, despite speaking excellent Somali, I struggle to understand a waqoyi accent through the phone if the speaker is excited and talks quickly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Killua

Killua

Ratings:
    +67
    Waqooyi accent accent is the standard Somali and the purest form of the language. The rest have too many Italian and Bantu loanwords.

I can't tell the difference between a mudug Bari and Mlgadishu accents wallahi. All koonfurians have a similar dialect

• Qashin Qashin x 11
    • Funny Funny x 3
  16. Younes Osman

Younes Osman

Ratings:
    +51

True, I remember one time when I use to go to weekend religious school some kid from xamar called a football boloney whilst Reer somaliland and djbouti called it koobbed. Anyway, I discovered that somaliland and djbouti have the same or simlar accents.

17. ZakWantsToPlay

ZakWantsToPlay

Ratings:
    +14

Goes both ways saxib and southerners call people from the North "Qaldaan" because of their spoken somali. If a kid from Northern Somalia moved into our neighbourhood, we immidiately attached the word "Qaldaan" to their name and Omar would become Omar Qaldaan.

Northerners have an inflated ego about themselves. To a southerner, that is just proof of them being uncivilized(Acrabis) and non-cosmopolitan. We saw them as Badaw and barbaric. So both communities have their own view of the other.

18. Macalin M

Macalin M Ciyaalka xaafada

Ratings:
    +1,854
    This guy just wants people to say that the northern dialect is the purest. Kkkkkkkkk

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Younes Osman

Younes Osman

Ratings:
    +51

Professor Ahmed Ismail samatar speaks good sl dialect and educated it's not like toogs on the roads in burco.

20. ZakWantsToPlay

ZakWantsToPlay

Ratings:
    +14

Their somali is close to the standard for sure but is not the purest form. Look at this sentence:

- Maxaad tiri?
    - Maxaad tidhi?
    - Maxaad dhahday?
    - Xaad tiri?

They are all the same and every somali should understand when someone asks that question. I don't know if someone from Northern Somalia can claim they can't understand that question in all its forms.

Somali is really somali no matter where a somali goes to.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted