Random Oromo history thread!

Naah if they conquered oromos what makes them not being able to conquere Harar?

You have been writting alot of fakenews and trying to sell oromo propaganda here.

The only angry people are you gallas you are fighting your own Abye galla.
If Abye was amhara I dont think Oromos would fight him bit rather kiss his ass.

what I mean was, they had to get through us, and no one aided us, to avoid that, so we all ended up being under their harsh rule.

what is fake here? can you please point some of it out? if you cannot, it's safe to say you're lying on me, and lying on a Muslim is a sin, but if you do not fear Allah and lack shame, do as you wish as the saying goes.

so you want us to blindly support abiy because he speaks our language?
I thought you hated him, anyway, and wanted the ogaden to be free from him and make their own state in which you can rule over the smaller somali clans and dominate them?

@Abba Sadacha What do you think of many scholars now considering Northern Oromos (North of the Abay River) as a part of the Habesha community? Yejju Oromo dynasty,Mammadoch dynasty and other Wollo clans can be called by Habesha in the political and cultural sense

@Abba Sadacha What do you think of many scholars now considering Northern Oromos (North of the Abay River) as a part of the Habesha community? Yejju Oromo dynasty,Mammadoch dynasty and other Wollo clans can be called by Habesha in the political and cultural sense

They have been assimilated, true, but are still Originally Oromo's, who expanded north, mingled with the locals, took on their language, and eventually became their rulers, lol.
the distinguishing factor of the wollo oromo is their religion, many retained their deen, despite taking on the amharic language as their own. they have their own special oromia zone in amhara region, which the local militias hate and want to dismantle... so every now and then, there's battles between the oromo there and the amhara militias.

@Abba Sadacha, do you support Oromo independence and what percentage of Oromo do you think to support it?

Honestly, I am not sure. It's a very serious issue, because the borders aren't agreed upon or firmly established; there are many counter claims to where borders end and start between the various Ethiopian states. You have oromo and somali disagreements on their borders, afar and somali disagreements on their borders, amhara and oromo, and amhara and tigrayan, and so on and so forth; independence would just worsen them and we'd be fighting non-stop, even more than now. at least now, despite the bad situation Ethiopia's in, we still have peace on the long border between oromo and somali.
arguments can be made for both, independence and for more autonomy within a loosely federated Ethiopia, ya know?

as far as percentage goes, it's hard to gage that, simply because the oromo diaspora and those back home are numerous and we have many different views on it.
in my family, which is all Muslim Oromo, from mostly Jimma, Bale/Arsi, mostly support a federal autonomous Oromia within an united Ethiopia, for many reasons, one of them being the border issues.

when r u going to get ur independence from kikuyus?
I think the ones in Kenya are happy, I’ve always said the ethiopia side of Moyale should have fully been given to Kenya. I feel like they deal with their conflicts better than Ethiopia does. I dislike the kikuyu lakeen they shut down the buuq on their side.

They have been assimilated, true, but are still Originally Oromo's, who expanded north, mingled with the locals, took on their language, and eventually became their rulers, lol.
the distinguishing factor of the wollo oromo is their religion, many retained their deen, despite taking on the amharic language as their own. they have their own special oromia zone in amhara region, which the local militias hate and want to dismantle... so every now and then, there's battles between the oromo there and the amhara militias.
They are different from the rest of you conquered Oromos.They are Habesha and just like the other Habesha represent the conquerors of the Southern Oromos (South Of the Abay).They don't see you kinsfolk nor do they still carry your Gada system.

I've been reading a good about them called The Other Abyssinians: The Northern Oromo and the Creation of Modern Ethiopia, 1855-1913.You can get it for free in pdf form if you are interested.

An exceprt from the second chapter:
The chapter traces the journey of Wällo from alien infidels to Habäsha brethren. Continuing from
the previous chapter, I argue that these actors combined existing Habäsha
political and cultural systems with Oromo cultural practices and used them
to increase their power through god-parentage, land acquisitions, and military support. While previous studies of Ethiopia present this territory and its populations as peripheral to Ethiopia’s identity, I maintain that the shifts in this province’s identity are central to an understanding of Ethiopia’s modern construction.2 After combining Oromo cultural practices with Islam and utilizing the result to create an independent power source to fi ght invaders from other provinces, Wällo Oromo Muslims became major political figures on both the provincial and national stages. However, Téwodros’ II reign cost Wällo a generation of leaders, leaving its population dependent upon other provincial leaders for stability until the ascent of Ras Mikaél. Beginning with the legacy of the Yäjju Oromo Wära Shék’s integration into the Habäsha community, this chapter will put the Wällo Oromo at the center of the analysis
and examine the impact of the events of the Zämänä Mäsafent, Téwodros
II’s (r. 1855–68) and Yohannes’ IV’s (r. 1871–88) reigns, on the identity of
this province and its population. Specifically, they went from being militarily powerful members of a fractured state to total complete enemies of a unified state and then to part of a unified Ethiopia in the span of a few decades in the middle of the nineteenth century

Major William Harris, a British diplomat/figure, had this to say about the Oromos:

''But whatever may be the origin of the heathen invaders, it is certain that, as a martial people, they have greatly degenerated from their ancestors. United under one head, they overran the fairest provinces of Ethiopia; and had they remained united, they might, with equal ease, have completed the conquest of the greater portion of the African continent. Relaxing, however, in their common cause against the Christians, the tribes soon began to contest among each other for the possession of the newly acquired territory. Intestine feuds and dissensions neutralized their giant power; and the weakness and disorganization by which the majority are now characterized, is to be ascribed to the fact of there being no king in Israel.''

[The Highlands of Æthiopia, Volume 3, pages 45-46 [written in 1846]}

They not only captured the Hererghe but also assimilated the Somali tribes with full force .A Qeero guy informed the existence of Ormosied Geri and Merahan in the midst of Afran Qallo tribes .I would roughly guess half of Afran Qallo being of Somali origin .
I’ve met geri kombe who are Oromo & I’ve seen various dna tests from afranqallos. From 75%-90% Somali but they’re very much Oromo nationalist.

I’ve met geri kombe who are Oromo & I’ve seen various dna tests from afranqallos. From 75%-90% Somali but they’re very much Oromo nationalist.
Afranqallo are somalis that were oromonised.
Infact the entire Eastern Hararghe are historicalaly somalis that were conquered by hordes of galla.

''It is true that the Somali people and the Oromo people are ethnic cousins. They share a lot of cultural and linguistic features in common [Lewis 1988: 263]. They can be great neighbors if the Somalis respect and recognize the collective identity, freedom and sovereignty of the Oromo nation. The Somalis can contribute a great deal for the emancipation of the Oromo nation. The emergence of a strong independent Oromo nation can in turn help the Somalis to regain their lost territories. In this way, the Somali and the Oromo peoples may establish good neighborly relations and brotherhood. The two nations can form strong alliance which has the potential to establish political equilibrium and thereby contribute substantially for creating lasting peace in the region. [Markakis 1987: 191-234, Halliday and Malyneux 1981: 97, Ottaway 1978: 93]. Ethnicity, Politics, and Society in Northeast Africa: Conflict and Social Change, by Mohammed Ali, pages 140-141]

''From the strategical position thus gained, the Abyssinians soon reduced the several Oromo tribes that surround Harar, and then set about raiding and reducing the Somali of Ogaden and the Webi Shabelle between 1890 and 1894.
The Ogaden soon submitted, although the Reer Amaden not only resisted the invasion of their territory, but defeated the Abyssinians with a loss, it is said, of 5000 at Sulul in 1893.
The Arsi Oromos were next reduced, between 1893 and 1895, but it was only with considerable difficulty that the conqest of their land was effected.
In the end of 1894 Mr. Donaldson Smith found the Abussinians in occupation both of the Upper Shabelle and of the Upper Juba about the head-streams of the Webi.
In 1897 he wrote with regard to delimitation that ''a line from Ime, on the Shabelle river, to a point immediately below Bonga, in Kaffa, will mark the southern limits of any country to which the Emperor Menelik can at present lay claim, either by virture of peaceful occupation, by treaties with the native chiefs, or by conquest.''
Even in 1895, however, roving bands of Abyssinians had penetrated to Lugh and Bardera. This is in accordance with the Abyssinian method and system of sending out emissaries and raiding parties to demand tribute.
In 1897 the territory of the Borana was invaded, and an emissary of Menelik-M. Darragon, made a huried but futile visit to the Borana in 1890.
It is not known what efforts have been made by the Abyssinians to consolidate their conquests, but it is known that besides the province of Harar and the British sphere are governed by Ras Makonnen (father of Haile Selassie), the Oromo territories between Harar and the British sphere are governed by Ras Darge (uncle of Menelik) and Ras Walda Gabriel, and that another Ras resides at Daraza, in the district where the Juba (Ganale Gudda) rises in the territory of the Sidama and the Guji Oromos.
It seems probable, therefore, that, notwithstanding the loud claims to vast territories which have been too much heard of, the effective occupation of the Abyssinians has been confined within proper limits.''

[Travel & Sport in Africa, Volume 3
By Sir Alfred Edward Pease, Pages 3-6]

They not only captured the Hererghe but also assimilated the Somali tribes with full force .A Qeero guy informed the existence of Ormosied Geri and Merahan in the midst of Afran Qallo tribes .I would roughly guess half of Afran Qallo being of Somali origin .
Let us embark on eugenecism and ethnic cleansing my friend. Oromos will be a great experimental guinea pig. Not only do I plan on sterilizing all the men, I am also planning on assimilating all the women and kids as a distinct somali tribe. Slowly but surely we will clean them from the impure non cushitic phenotypes and completely somalize them. Our ancestors did the same that is kill the men take the women and children

''It is true that the Somali people and the Oromo people are ethnic cousins. They share a lot of cultural and linguistic features in common [Lewis 1988: 263]. They can be great neighbors if the Somalis respect and recognize the collective identity, freedom and sovereignty of the Oromo nation. The Somalis can contribute a great deal for the emancipation of the Oromo nation. The emergence of a strong independent Oromo nation can in turn help the Somalis to regain their lost territories. In this way, the Somali and the Oromo peoples may establish good neighborly relations and brotherhood. The two nations can form strong alliance which has the potential to establish political equilibrium and thereby contribute substantially for creating lasting peace in the region. [Markakis 1987: 191-234, Halliday and Malyneux 1981: 97, Ottaway 1978: 93]. Ethnicity, Politics, and Society in Northeast Africa: Conflict and Social Change, by Mohammed Ali, pages 140-141]
Oromos are a great danger. I actually know do support Amharas, Abiy Ahmed, Tigrayans over you. Just wait a little until shabaab is defeated in the near future. I will go back to Somalia and educate the people on the dangers of Oromos and why they should be deported

Oromos are a great danger. I actually know do support Amharas, Abiy Ahmed, Tigrayans over you. Just wait a little until shabaab is defeated in the near future. I will go back to Somalia and educate the people on the dangers of Oromos and why they should be deported

It's okay bro, I've already read enough of your posts to know that you're not all up there in the head. So, say what you wish, I understand.

It's okay bro, I've already read enough of your posts to know that you're not all up there in the head. So, say what you wish, I understand.
I know all about oromos, I have read up on oromos on jstor, google scholar, even used scihub to read information behind paywalls, I have read the works of an Oromo Hassan Mohammed. I know about oromo origins, I know abouf the gadaa system, I know about how they ethnically cleansed and forcefully assimilated Somalis like Akisho, Jaarso, Akisho, Gurgura, Garre and Karanle, I know about my own ethnic origins and history, I know what is mine. You people are an imminent threat who genocides my people women, children who live in Hararghe or close to the ethnic borders between us, not only that you also participated in the 1977 war on the side of Ethiopians, you invaded and slaughtered my people in the 2006 invasion. You people are expansionist and claim anything as yours. I see oromos as a bigger threat than Amharas and Tigrayans. Do you know why the Oromo male was lynched in Bossaso? Because he said that Bossaso and all the Somali cities belongs to Oromos. Even if we give you asylum you treat us like this. All this is apparent when you try to revision our history.
I will go back to Somalia and educate the people on the dangers of you gog and magogs.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Don’t take this site seriously brother, Somalis both in Galbeed and Somalia proper see Muslim Oromo as our closest kin as Somalis, both culturally and genetically. I personally know of Oromos in Xamar who have married into my clan and vice versa, even my own uncle has an Oromo mother born and raised in Xamar.

However there is wrongdoings on both sides, with hararghe being the main one. Once we address those and deal with them effectively I have no doubt we can coexist as well as dominate the horn together in the long run once we dethrone the Abyssinians

Trending