Racism in egypt

I feel sad for the sudanese. They are in someways the equivalent of black people in the americas, they remind me of Dominicans actually. Dominicans are mostly black looking of mixed but lost their language and culture and only speak Spanish. They deny being black but they realize how black they are when they travel to other latin countries. It's the same with Sudan, they lost their language to adopt arabness but they face abuse by other arabs.
Some Arab sudanese call darfurians and South sudanese " abid" but the truth is that darfurians, Dinkas and nuers are not slaves to a foreign culture, they know who they are and they know their language.
Why would you feel bad for people that have their own country? Black Americans are a marginalized minority within America, and relative to the rest of the Caribbean Dominicans are doing fine. Also, Sudanese people identify as their tribe more so than Arab or non-Arab (even Nubians and Beja identify as tribe followed by Sudanese rather than their ethnicity), and Darfur itself has many Arab tribes (some of them look just like Khaleejis/pure bedouins too). Sudanese people are very prideful so it's really not as deep as you're trying to make it. Lastly, some tribes did "lose" their language but language shifts happened a lot throughout history. Sudanese Arabic is a lingua-franca and has unified the country (along with Islam) despite previous linguistic and religious divides during medieval times when the country was constantly at a state of civil war.

Nalaaye floxks

Life is like a sandwich, the bread comes first💰💯
Karma against who? You would've faced the same thing in Egypt that the Sudanese is experiencing.
Northerners have oppressed the dinkas for decades so how am I supposed to feel bad? No wonder why south sudanese hate sudanese people

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
How is that even possible dude? Unless you are half Yemeni there's no way the average Somali would be mistaken as an Arab Egyptian. Only a few of us may pass as dark skinned Egyptians. Most somalis would be mistaken as Nubians if they are fluent in Arabic and we know Nubians face racism in Egypt just like the sudanese

Idk bro, it’s not as if I asked them why they assumed I speak Arabic.

It’s just my guess as to why they thought I did.

I used to have Egyptian friends because I born and lived in Middle East..they are very colourist and Hates everything dark even their own darker people. They call someone if he or she light skinned or blond " ابن الناس أو بنت الناس" as if other people came from subhuman ..but class is above racism or skin colour so If you are at least have money or western passport you may not have big issue there. Also the reason somali don't see racism there because somali don't seek validation and acceptance from other races. But this is country is shithole and their men sexual harass any living things 🙄

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
How do you know it was all somali nomads? Also why would they stop dogs would be very useful for nomads.
The man who made the accounts travelled all over Woqooyi and a good chunk of Galbeed (I believe some of Koonfur too on different expeditions) and met and stayed with people from all four major clans of Hawiye, Isaaq, Darood and Dir and noted how ubiquitous dogs were. They were so common that you could tell a Somali nomad camp or reer tuulo village was nearby through the barking of dogs.

And it's fairly obvious why they stopped:

The settled Somal have a holy horror of dogs, and, Wahhabi-like, treat man’s faithful slave most cruelly. The wild people are more humane; they pay two ewes for a good colley, and demand a two-year old sheep as “diyat” or blood-money for the animal, if killed.

What seems to have happened is that the attitude of reer magaals from back then slowly became mainstream as Somalis urbanized more and more and, more importantly, became more hyper religious. Got to a point where even the nomads developed the same attitude toward dogs when they clearly liked them about a Century ago.

I already semi qarxiised myself recently but it seems the mods or admin deleted it like I'm not allowed to do so or maybe the thread was deleted, rofl.

But anyway, I am Dishiishe on my aabo's side and Majeerteen on my hooyo's side if we're talking about paternal lines. If we're talking about maternal lines then my paternal awoowo's hooyo was Warsangeli, my dad's hooyo was Warsangeli with a Habar Yoonis hooyo, my maternal awoowo's hooyo was Mareexaan and my maternal ayeeyo's hooyo was Maalin Weyn (Raxanweyn).
Interesting, so you're a mix of different qabils from the North, central and South MashaAllah. You're a Somali with blood from every parts.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Interesting, so you're a mix of different qabils from the North, central and South MashaAllah. You're a Somali with blood from every parts.
Indeed. But, to be honest, even if they don't show it terms of recent geneoalogy, most Somalis have ancestry from all over Somaliweyn. 23andme shows as much. You'll see a reer Koonfur dude with distant relatives as far afield as Jabuuti and Harar. Somalis have some of the highest IBD sharing I've ever seen among ethnic groups.

Probably because our ancestors practiced a fair amount of clan and subclan exogamy on the maternal side. Y-DNA frequencies vary across Somaliweyn but regardless of region the same mtDNA lineage diversity pops up. It's beautiful, really. The hooyos are the glue of the nation.

The man who made the accounts travelled all over Woqooyi and a good chunk of Galbeed (I believe some of Koonfur too on different expeditions) and met and stayed with people from all four major clans of Hawiye, Isaaq, Darood and Dir and noted how ubiquitous dogs were. They were so common that you could tell a Somali nomad camp or reer tuulo village was nearby through the barking of dogs.

And it's fairly obvious why they stopped:

The settled Somal have a holy horror of dogs, and, Wahhabi-like, treat man’s faithful slave most cruelly. The wild people are more humane; they pay two ewes for a good colley, and demand a two-year old sheep as “diyat” or blood-money for the animal, if killed.

What seems to have happened is that the attitude of reer magaals from back then slowly became mainstream as Somalis urbanized more and more and, more importantly, became more hyper religious. Got to a point where even the nomads developed the same attitude toward dogs when they clearly liked them about a Century ago.
That book is fascinating. In some parts I felt like our ancestors from the 1800s were unrecognizable from modern Somalis and in other parts I felt like there were certain aspects that are still practically the same. Also, when you think about it the mid 1800s wasn't that long ago, that is our grandparents' grandmothers and fathers. Yet, we've lost 60% of their culture and the average Somali is very ignorant when it comes to the cultural attitudes of that time period.

@Shimbiris, from reading the book, what would you say suprised you the most about 19th century Somalis?

Last edited:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
They are themselves discriminated against by Khaleeji. They are stereotyped as criminal and untrustworthy. So this is their way of "kicking down".

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Quick question does the Somali constitution allow a person to hold dual Somali citizenship with, for example,my British citizenship

The 1960 constitution does not but more recent constitutions allow for it.

Most of our politicians are dual citizens

Egypt is super racist not even because of Arabs but the Copts that live there bring a insidious mindset Copts Greeks

the ancient Greeks viewed black Africans with racial prejudice and introduced racism that divided the world between white and black to the world

Its also funny how many of the black people the Greeks met in Africa were were superior to them militarily and technologically up until the Macedonians conquered the world

Trending