Question for Reer Waqooyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cumar

Ilaahay Gargaaryeey Gabiley Qurux Badanaa
VIP
This man is not speaking af maay he is speaking with strong banaadir accent , all the native clans speak like this.

Af maay is a completely different dialect , go to YouTube and type af maay and you will hear how it sounds. Most somalis speak af mahaa tiri and and very few people understand af maay.

Is it true that Af-Maay is influenced by Oromo?

I can understand all the regional accents, people who say they don't are either lying or just don't understand Somali well as it is.
Although I have to actively listen to some of the strong accents like this or some reer waqooyi accents. Everything else sounds normal to me and I can hardly tell them apart.

Cumar

VIP
I don't know much about the maay dialect walaaley but it has much less loanwords from Arabic , Italian or English .

You are right, Reer Waqooyi for example has a lot of arabic loanwords.

Cumar

VIP
I can understand all the regional accents, people who say they don't are either lying or just don't understand Somali well as it is.
Although I have to actively listen to some of the strong accents like this or some reer waqooyi accents. Everything else sounds normal to me and I can hardly tell them apart.

I can't really understand Af-Maay but the standard regional accents are all fine for me.

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar

Sis it depends if you have spent time around people who speak different accents. Growing up in London I had really difficult time understanding my reer waqooyi friends in primary/high school because I'm from xamar and speak with banaadir accent. Now I can easily understand them.

I can't really understand Af-Maay but the standard regional accents are all fine for me.
I meant regional accents of af-maxa, I don't understand af-maay either but if I listen closesly I can pick up some words.
Sis it depends if you have spent time around people who speak different accents. Growing up in London I had really difficult time understanding my reer waqooyi friends in primary/high school because I'm from xamar and speak with banaadir accent. Now I can easily understand them.
Both my parents are from Xamar but don't have the accent of the guy in the video they have the generic Somali one. Most of the people from waqooyi I know irl don't speak much different except the pronunciation of some letters. There are only two that I feel sound different everything else sounds pretty much the same to me. And not everyone from those regions have the accent I have in mind so idk what to call it lol.

Gambar

VIP
I understood some parts of what he said like what you wrote but other parts was straight gibberish I didn’t even understand. He’s a got a strong accent of whatever he’s from.
I remember in another topic when I said reer waqooyi dont understand these kind of accents and you tried to claim you guys do. :icon lol:

Jeesto

VIP
That's not af maay. He just has some maay dialect influences in his hadal but other than that, he sounds like a normal reer Koonfur to me:manny:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
Loool at the people making fun of his diaclect. You guys can't even put two sentences together, miss me with that shit.

He's NOT speaking af maay, and his somali is pure, mashallah. All somali dialects are beautiful, cuqdada iska daaya, yaa ciyaal fish and chips.:icon rolleyes:

Waqooyi is not the standard it is Mudug
The standardisation of Somali was indeed a political act . What was the scientific logic or linguistic influence behind the decision other than Mudug was located in the middle of the country and Samales becoming dominant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending