QUESTION: Do you guys find that you get treated differently from other black people?

You actually think trump supporters would prefer a muslim terrorist n!gger whose country was responsible for black hawk dawn and 9/11 over their own Christian countrymen who they lived with for centuries.:chrisfreshhah:

My identity isn't as pronounced as an African American's. I could fall under a few different ethnic groups, so unless I tell someone I'm a Muslim-Somali they wouldn't even know my background. But I've never had a issue at Uni/Work with whites and honestly my politics aren't much different from theirs I'm a fiscal conservative and a traditionalist at heart. Our differences are quite minuscule at best. So I might be an outlier for this sort of question.

World

VIP
My identity isn't as pronounced as an African American's. I could fall under a few different ethnic groups, so unless I tell someone I'm a Muslim-Somali they wouldn't even know my background. But I've never had a issue at Uni/Work with whites and honestly my politics aren't much different from theirs I'm a fiscal conservative and a traditionalist at heart. Our differences are quite minuscule at best. So I might be an outlier for this sort of question.
Are you reer xamar cad cad? Because there is no way people don’t know who somalis are in ohio when it hosts the second largest Somali population in America. And if you have to hide your identity and religion from racist whites, then are you really getting treated better?

The hatred that trump supporters have for ilhan omar is multitudes more than what they have for any black person. And who do you think is going to receive backlash other than the Somali community?

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Ive been thinking about this a lot lately, but I find in Canada its alot easier for me to get things like jobs and internships compared to my other black friends. I recently graduated from my program and immediately got 3 job offers while my other black friend hasn't gotten a single call back, she sometimes makes sarcastic jokes about how I look more acceptable than she does but now im wondering how true that is?

Canada isn't a great example. Those cadaans are too tolerant.

In America you get the same treatment even with your Arabic sounding name.

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
You guys are so shameful and delusional.:chrisfreshhah:

If anything Somalis are treated much worse than Madows because not only are we black, but we are also Muslim and we are just as criminal as them, if not worse. Many Madow parents tell their children to stay away from Somalis because we are a bad influence.

Gosol gariir you are waffling mate. I’d like to see hear how Somalis suffer more than others.

In my experience, Somalis actually benefit from being Muslim. For example, every Ramadan I used to organise fundraisers with a couple of charities. The one thing that stood out was that the biggest contributors to Somali causes are not even the Somalis themselves. It’s Asian/Arab and African Muslims.

Do you know how embarrassing it is when random Muslims are dropping thousands of pounds to help drought stricken Somalis and when you pitch the cause to a room full of Somalis, they ask you what region the money is going to:bell:

I’ve never heard of Somalis being disproportionately targeted by the police or discriminated against in the workplace/education. Must be a figment of your imagination.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
You actually think trump supporters would prefer a muslim terrorist n!gger whose country was responsible for black hawk dawn and 9/11 over their own Christian countrymen who they lived with for centuries.:chrisfreshhah:
Somalis aren’t known widely in the US like they are in the UK. even when I went to Columbus which has a large Somali population, people assumed I’m biracial when they saw my curly hair and the few who are more familiar with african immigrants label me as Ethiopian at best if they tried to guess my ethnicity.

Most Americans don’t know a thing about Somalis

Are you reer xamar cad cad? Because there is no way people don’t know who somalis are in ohio when it hosts the second largest Somali population in America. And if you have to hide your identity and religion from racist whites, then are you really getting treated better?

The hatred that trump supporters have for ilhan omar is multitudes more than what they have for any black person. And who do you think is going to receive backlash other than the Somali community?

You'd be surprised sxb Ilhan is an individual and her negative press has not caused any backlash for my community whatsoever I can attest to that, not everything you see on CNN is real life. America is an individualistic country, if you lead a diligent and progressive life no one can stand in your way here. There are some communities that allow their victim-complex to lead their interactions and biases but as a Somali I don't believe that anyone has more of an opportunity to succeed than I do. Which is why I've outcompeted them for many things in my life.

Also it's not that I'm hiding my religion or anything from people if they ask I'd be more than happy to tell them. However I won't go out of my way to talk about my religion or identity as no one else does. It's like a white person for instance randomly telling me they have roots in Ireland and practice catholicism, something like that will rarely every happen.

But no, I am Marehan tribe wise not reer hamar, however my family is lightskin so some ajnabis are unsure of my background. There is also a large habesha population in Ohio so many times people will mix somalis and them up. The state is pretty large, so there are segments of the population who have never even met a somali.

VixR

Veritas

I’d be very surprised if any Somali in America is suffering irl from Ilhan Omar’s online hatred/backlash.

Ilhan’s “hatred” (more like political vitriol) is usually part of a foursome that includes a Latina, Palestinian, and Black congresswomen.

Idk I dont wear hijab so people dont know im muslim, I thought at least for the men its the same way? No one knows your muslim unless you say something??

Or you have a muslim name. Dont sleep on white people...they know if you are somali straight away. In general we have it harder cause we black and muslims

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I’d be very surprised if any Somali in America is suffering irl from Ilhan Omar’s online hatred/backlash.

Ilhan’s “hatred” (more like political vitriol) is usually part of a foursome that includes a Latina, Palestinian, and Black congresswomen.

Ilhan's getting more love from the right than AOC recently.

Fortunately, most ignorant right wingers identify her with Islam more than Somalis.

However, it doesn't help that she's disliked by both the right and more importantly the establishment left.

Hate from the right doesn't impact us as much as the left thinking that they can't rely on us to play ball.

VixR

Veritas
Ilhan's getting more love from the right than AOC recently.

Fortunately, most ignorant right wingers identify her with Islam more than Somalis.

However, it doesn't help that she's disliked by both the right and more importantly the establishment left.

Hate from the right doesn't impact us as much as the left thinking that they can't rely on us to play ball.
I don’t think it’s that serious. You’re exaggerating her impact. It’s bigger than Ilhan.

There’s a sizeable contingent of Dems in the WH who don’t want “moderation”, and want to run on all cylinders regarding policy and even impeachment (which I think is not politically smart, though warranted, bc not addressing it weakens the judicial branch), but the leading establishment, ie, Nancy Pelosi, know it isn’t politically expedient at the moment, and she knows how to keep them in tow.

Not really people are usually nice to me. Depends on the day I guess sometimes way too kind. But I don’t think in comparison to a meadow person it’s different.
Depends on how one carries themselves.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I don’t think it’s that serious. You’re exaggerating her impact. It’s bigger than Ilhan.

There’s a sizeable contingent of Dems in the WH who don’t want “moderation”, and want to run on all cylinders regarding policy and even impeachment (which I think is not politically smart, though warranted, bc not addressing it weakens the judicial branch), but the leading establishment, ie, Nancy Pelosi, know it isn’t politically expedient at the moment, and she knows how to keep them in tow.

That's the game the other four are playing but even they stick to party lines.

Even the most rabid of the left seem like a well behaved mouse compared to Ilhan.

Although I do I agree with a lot her points; I don't see any benefits for her to put herself out there.

She had a safe seat and political backing from some higher ups in her state but all of that is put into doubt now.

Whether she likes it or not she represents us on the national stage.

She could've gotten a lot more done if she wasn't so problematic.

Now all her efforts would be sabotaged just out of spite.

land owner

Welcome to the yaab zone
VIP
Somalia wasn’t responsible for 9/11 :ileycry: the hijakers were mainly saudis

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
In many places in Europe, Arabs are hated way more than 'Blacks'. Especially in France I hear.

They are universalizing the black experience. It is never the same and people are treated better for having a certain skintone and features. The shark differences in treatment have been studied thoroughly. And even contributed to disparities in economic opportunities and mating choices among AAs and Caribbean groups.

Also, Somalis are in that ambiguous spot between Brown and Black so no one really quite knows where to place them lol. It's all based on presentation, look and is subjective from person-to-person.

Last edited:

World

VIP
@World is right though in many places Somalis are treated much worse for being Black and Muslim
And it is because we are a criminal ethnicity that refuses to integrate.

In the UK, Somalis are the least liked immigrants.

yl3UniB.png

Apollo

VIP
And it is because we are a criminal ethnicity.

In the UK, Somalis are the least liked ethnicity.

yl3UniB.png

Same in Scandinavia where they did similar polls.

It is primarily because of Islamophobia and perceived ''low work ethic'', not race (IMO).