President of Puntland travelling to the UAE says "the two countries will strengthen ties"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaegal

I have no proof, only whispers
We have no military bases and there are none planned and the port deal was approved by the FGS.

So even though Somaliland declares itself to be its own country, anything that happens has to be approved by the FGS? Who does the money that comes in from the port go to?

As for the military bases, I've read on here multiple times that the UAE would be opening a military base.

Farm

VIP
So even though Somaliland declares itself to be its own country, anything that happens has to be approved by the FGS? Who does the money that comes in from the port go to?

As for the military bases, I've read on here multiple times that the UAE would be opening a military base.

I’m talking about Puntland not Somaliland.

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
So they can allow ports, military bases to be built, use the land in other ways, engage with other countries to make deals but they have no control over the oil?
He is talking about Puntland bro not Somaliland. The only reason for a foreign military base being built in Somaliland is because the IC is aware that Somaliland operates like a de-facto country.

Difference with Puntland is that they are still currently a federal state so they are in a position where the government of Somalia still holds some influence over them. I don't know for how long they will stay like that tho, seems like they want out :holeup:

Aaegal

I’m talking about Puntland not Somaliland.
He is talking about Puntland bro not Somaliland. The only reason for a foreign military base being built in Somaliland is because the IC is aware that Somaliland operates like a de-facto country.

Difference with Puntland is that they are still currently a federal state so they are in a position where the government of Somalia still holds some influence over them. I don't know for how long they will stay like that tho, seems like they want out :holeup:
My bad.

My point still stands though, like you say Somaliland acts like a country and is treated as such by the IC yet that place hasn't seen much improvement. Will Puntland have it easier than them in gaining international recognition if they were to secede?

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
My point still stands though, like you say Somaliland acts like a country and is treated as such by the IC yet that place hasn't seen much improvement.
The reason why it hasn't seen much improvement is because it is not recognized and doesn't have access to international financial institutions and being unrecognized has many consequences that in turn lead to a very slow development process. Somaliland also spends most of its funds on security rather than development because of Somalia.

Aaegal

The reason why it hasn't seen much improvement is because it is not recognized and doesn't have access to international financial institutions and being unrecognized has many consequences that in turn lead to a very slow development process. Somaliland also spends most of its funds on security rather than development because of Somalia.

Fair point. How soon do you think until they get international recognition?

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
Will Puntland have it easier than them in gaining international recognition if they were to secede?
Yes, they will have it a lot more easy because of the Somaliland struggle for recognition for more than 3 decades that will indirectly legitimizes Puntland quest for international recognition. (If they decide to claim independence from Somalia).

The international community would be absolutely mad to ignore both SL and PL. Puntland declaring for independence would indeed benefit SL and vice versa since SL would have then paved the way for more tolerance of a de-facto country.

Aegal don't take their word literally.

Everything has to be approved by the Federal Government of Somalia.

Such as new airport or large infrastructure projects.

Somaliland sends middlemen to get those documents signed concerning aid agencies and governments.

Examples include Kuwait fund to upgrade Egal International Airport and Hargaysa Water supply extension.

The same with Garowe Airport and Makhir Universiy Kuwait Fund grant $10 Million.

Some Prime Ministers can refuse to sign the deal which is what happened to Garoowe but after new PM was named Farah Shirdoon Saacid Puntland had the signature it needed.

Aaegal

Yes, they will have it a lot more easy because of the Somaliland struggle for recognition for more than 3 decades that will indirectly legitimizes Puntland quest for international recognition. (If they decide to claim independence from Somalia).

The international community would be absolutely mad to ignore both SL and PL. Puntland declaring for independence would indeed benefit SL and vice versa since SL paved the way for more tolerance of de-facto statehood.

I still feel the best course of action is to work together. Who knows when recognition will come for Somaliland and Puntland.

Look at Switzerland, the crazy history they have had, the 4 languages spoken in the region, different customs, religious sects and they still manage to have one of the best countries in the world.

The current political situation in Somalia sucks (how people are elected) Why not have Somaliland, Puntland, South Somalia work together to come up with a system that allows for some level of autonomy like cantons in Switzerland and elect a leadership that represents the will of the people.

Lordilord the FGS has to approve first before region or federal state can sign as sovereignity lies with the federal government in Mogadishu.

They complained because the UAE violated the sovereignty of the country and it is no brainer that they had to watch their steps and use the right channels.

They have been humbled by the FGS not only one occasion but multiple.

Lordilord the FGS has to approve first before region or federal state can sign as sovereignity lies with the federal government in Mogadishu.

They complained because the UAE violated the sovereignty of the country and it is no brainer that they had to watch their steps and use the right channels.

They have been humbled by the FGS not only one occasion but multiple.
What are you talking about? The parliament in Muqdisho voted against the deal but it's still going in Berbera. They couldn't do anything to stop it so they cried for help from the UN and the Arab league and they refused to do anything.

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
This thread is about Puntland, let's keep it that way.. I simply responded to @Aaegal question where he thought a military base was being built in Puntland etc...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
@Lordilord @Farm Are the Somaliland and Puntland gov more progressive than the Somali government?
Both have stagnant development currently because of the predicament we are in. The corruption in the government of Somalia has affected all regions.

I would say they are overall more progressive than Somalia because they control more land and there is stability and peace in both states.

Lordilord I wonder how you are going to explain this one below.

Screenshot_20190409-192541.png

embarrassing they won't get it. Somaliland just recently stopped to call Foreign country Ambassadors to Somalia as Ambassadors to 'Somalia and Somaliland' though they presented their credentials to President Farmaajo.

The UN split up aid/development into three areas South Central, Somaliland and Puntland with the latter two at the development stage and assignation by the dual track policy by Obama administration whereby they dealt with Puntland and Somaliland separately. A special arrangement was also in place for Somaliland in the Somalia Compact New Deal.

Now as other States are emerging those old arrangements are no more applicable. Somaliland and Puntland got it because they were seen as stable and ready for the development stage.

Recently the Education Ministers opted to scrap the three zones aid division for education provisions in Somalia.

The FGS was also scrapping and demanding that arrangements go through them. They pressured aid agencies and were accused by the States of politicising aid especially by Somaliland.

After fall out FGS withheld $1 million intended for Jubaland State as a political and financial measure to penalise 'rogue' administration and bring it in line with FGS policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending