Only Somalia is studying Turkish on Duolingo

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Turkish is beyond useless.

Bootyclappers.

Turkey is the country that offers Somalis back home visas, military scholarships and opportunities to study abroad en masse.

What reason does a Somali have to learn English if they have no hope of going to the Anglosphere in their life?

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Turkey is the country that offers Somalis back home visas, military scholarships and opportunities to study abroad en masse.

What reason does a Somali have to learn English if they have no hope of going to the Anglosphere in their life?
Good point about Turkey but Ingiriisi is the global lingua franca, abowe. Always useful to know it. Especially for such a commerce minded people as Somalis.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Of course only Somalis study Turkish, they don't even consider the fact Turkish is pretty much useless outside of Turkey.

You have to consider this.

When will a Somali high school graduate ever use English. He will never visit America or the UK.

But he has a good chance to study in Turkey or visit or even live there.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Good point about Turkey but Ingiriisi is the global lingua franca, abowe. Always useful to know it. Especially for such a commerce minded people as Somalis.

I agree with you but we’re not looking at this from the perspective of someone of back home.

Turkey is the biggest non-Arab foreign business partner back home. Even in Galkacyo, there are Turkish businessmen and language schools.

We also import a lot from Turkey like a lot of the Middle East.

Why should someone in Somalia learn English when no Anglosphere country ever reached out to them?

If the UK or the US gave Somalia even 1% of the same attention Turkey does then you’ll see English learning skyrocket.

Apollo

VIP
I highly doubt there are a lot of Somalis back home that use Duolingo. Would be surprised if there are more 1000 users.

They’re probably people that are preparing to study in Turkey.

It is free.

I noticed more and more fobs* on the internet lately. They are everywhere nowadays. No longer like the 2010s where it was rare to see plebs from Somalia on the internet.

*by fobs I mean Somalis still living in Somalia.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
It is free.

I noticed more and more fobs* on the internet lately. They are everywhere nowadays. No longer like the 2010s where it was rare to see plebs from Somalia on the internet.

*by fobs I mean Somalis still living in Somalia.

I know but the website is in English and using Duolingo takes a lot of data and bandwidth.

Furthermore, Somalis back home are more likely to use social media and read news articles. They’re less data intensive and more ‘hip’.

Apollo

VIP
English is still number one studied language in Somalia, according to that data.
Turkish is second , and it's most probably students who have received Turkish scholarships.
172+ Turkey Scholarships for Somali students 2022-23
like our Aussie geeljire said , I doubt many people know or use that app in Somalia anyway.

Everybody knows that English is the most studied language, so the #1 spot is not interesting.

The #2 and #3 spots show more interesting patterns.

I am surprised that Europeans are studying Spanish, which has kind of low prestige and isn't very useful here (economy of Spain is not impressive).

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I am surprised that Europeans are studying Spanish, which has kind of low prestige and isn't very useful here (economy of Spain is not impressive).

I may be biased but they’re better off learning French.

Somalis hate France cos of their policies and cos of Djibouti but most French speakers aren’t French.

Everybody knows that English is the most studied language, so the #1 spot is not interesting.

The #2 and #3 spots show more interesting patterns.

I know ,
but it seems to me like some fellas here are a little confused about that fact .
from the way they're arguing it seems like they thought Turkish was #1 lol .

Apollo

VIP
I may be biased but they’re better off learning French.

Somalis hate France cos of their policies and cos of Djibouti but most French speakers aren’t French.

For Somalia, I think the following when it comes to foreign languages:

Swahili should be really discouraged, all the Swahili countries speak good English. Doing business with them you don't need Swahili at all. Many Ugandans, Rwandans, Burundians, and even Kenyans don't speak Swahili as their first language and often have a better grasp of English than Swahili.

Italian should be killed off at the point with no institutional support, kind of cringe to still promote it (some institutions in Mogadishu still do).

Main foreign languages that should be encouraged by Somalia's government, IMO, should be English, Arabic, and French in that order.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

Swahili should be really discouraged, all the Swahili countries speak good English. Doing business with them you don't need Swahili at all. Many Ugandans, Rwandans, Burundians, and even Kenyans don't speak Swahili as their first language and often have a better grasp of English than Swahili.

Italian should be killed off at the point with no institutional support, kind of cringe to still promote it (some institutions in Mogadishu still do).

Main foreign languages that should be encouraged by Somalia's government, IMO, should be English, Arabic, and French in that order.
f*ck French. I don't care how many madows coon for it. No. Remove baguette immediately! But cosign the rest.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

1. Agree with Swahili. Apart from cadcads, no ethnic Somali in Somalia should be using it. Tbf it’s barely used in Somalia.

2. I think Somalia should offer limited support to Italian if there are massive incentives. If we get the same benefits we got before 1991 such as access to world class university lecturers and scholarships for Somali students, I have no issue in letting Somalis attend private Italian-language schools if they can afford it.

If Italy is unwilling to pay for these things then we should wipe the language from Somalia.

3. I think it should be Arabic, English, French for at least a decade to cement Arabic as a secondary language. Then we can continue having English first for the rest of time.

After all, Somalia is in an Arabic dominated region and it’s the easiest place to migrate to and from.

Apollo

VIP
f*ck French. I don't care how many madows coon for it. No. Remove baguette immediately! But cosign the rest.

You will be shocked to know this, but some Francophone African countries are language shifting to French as their native language, LOL. :mindblown:

Also, in Angola and Mozambique you got people language shifting to Portuguese as their L1. :dead:

Instead of promoting one of the many local languages, they now are becoming D-grade Franks and Lusitani.

:meleshame:

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You will be shocked to know this, but some Francophone African countries are language shifting to French as their native language, LOL. :mindblown:

Also, in Angola and Mozambique you got people language shifting to Portuguese as their L1. :dead:

Instead of promoting one of the many local languages, they now are becoming D-grade Franks and Lusitani.

:meleshame:
Madows. I will never cease to be heartbroken by their coonery. First they fervently follow a diin given to them by their conquerors, then they straighten their hair and wear wigs to imitate their conqueror's women and now this?

Walk Away Season 4 GIF by This Is Us

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

You earn more in the West when you speak both French and English. Somalia should focus on producing people that will be economically mobile.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You earn more in the West when you speak both French and English. Somalia should focus on producing people that will be economically mobile.
Why the hell should we be producing people who will "earn more in the west"? What country actually promotes brain drain?!

dead wink martindale GIF

Trending