Only Somalia is studying Turkish on Duolingo

Apollo

VIP
Ow42fuZ.png

The influence of Turkey is real. :mjlol:

Somalia always has these weird patterns on global maps showing how people use the internet. :dead:

Left out the #1 studied foreign language map, as that's English in most of the world as expected.

I contributed to Spanish for my country

Japan and Korea are too nationalistic, both have their own languages as 2nd
1642814052727.png

Ireland and Sweden having to relearn their native language lmao

I wonder why any African country especially Ethiopia and Kenya are bothering with French, useless language

Apollo

VIP
@Tambien

In some Western countries you got immigrants and refugees skewing the statistics (especially Sweden), usually the #2 language is what the natives are doing there. But then again.. English is #2 for the USA, likely Hispanic fobs, while #1 Spanish is what local Americans are learning.

In poor or low immigration countries, it reflects what the natives are doing (both the #1 and #2).

I'm genuinely surprised that fewer Nations are trying to learn English; South Sudan hasn't (institutionally) made significant inroads with supplanting Arabic with English but the interest from the general public is there.

Apollo

VIP
I'm genuinely surprised that fewer Nations are trying to learn English; South Sudan hasn't (institutionally) made significant inroads with supplanting Arabic with English but the interest from the general public is there.

French was #1 in South Sudan.

Usually English is #1 for African countries, but then #2 became English for South Sudan only.

@Tambien

In some Western countries you got immigrants and refugees skewing the statistics (especially Sweden), usually the #2 language is what the natives are doing there. But then again.. English is #2 for the USA, likely Hispanic fobs, while #1 Spanish is what local Americans are learning.

In poor or low immigration countries, it reflects what the natives are doing (both the #1 and #2).
For Sweden that's what I was presuming, they must have a lot of refugees like everyone says

Ireland's the opposite case, its cause of native Irish people wanting to learn their "native" language. They study Irish for 14 years from age 4 yet most cannot hold a basic conversation.
Its kind of embarrassing how shit at language learning they are compared to mainland Europe

Apollo

VIP
For Sweden that's what I was presuming, they must have a lot of refugees like everyone says

Ireland's the opposite case, its cause of native Irish people wanting to learn their "native" language. They study Irish for 14 years from age 4 yet most cannot hold a basic conversation.
Its kind of embarrassing how shit at language learning they are compared to mainland Europe

I think they hate their own ethnic language due to how backwards it has become (only spoken in a few towns on Ireland's west coast).

I don't think it is the case because it is hard to learn. Israel revived their dead liturgical language which was spoken only by a few Rabbis within a single generation.

The endangered status of the Irish language reflects what the Irish think of it.

I think they hate their own ethnic language due to how backwards it has become (only spoken in a few towns on Ireland's west coast).

I don't think it is the case because it is hard to learn. Israel revived their dead liturgical language which was spoken only by a few Rabbis within a single generation.

The endangered status of the Irish language reflects what the Irish think of it.
Yeah they do hate it, they'd always complain about learning Irish and said they hated it. Even their grandparents hated learning it in school.

Most say its because of how its taught, not necessarily because they hate Irish but even if they truly hated it I don't think most would admit it due to nationalism.

There's this thing where some students get sent to Irish speaking areas during the summer and most enjoy it, it doesn't really help push the numbers tho.

The Irish curriculum does suck when it comes to foreign languages, student's fluency rates in foreign languages are low. I learnt French for years and never grasped it in spoken form, but I can read it easily. Speaking is not really taught much.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Yeah they do hate it, they'd always complain about learning Irish and said they hated it. Even their grandparents hated learning it in school.

Most say its because of how its taught, not necessarily because they hate Irish but even if they truly hated it I don't think most would admit it due to nationalism.

There's this thing where some students get sent to Irish speaking areas during the summer and most enjoy it, it doesn't really help push the numbers tho.

The Irish curriculum does suck when it comes to foreign languages, student's fluency rates in foreign languages are low. I learnt French for years and never grasped it in spoken form, but I can read it easily. Speaking is not really taught much.
If you really want to teach the populous the language then just create a wide array of media in it like dubbing TV shows and animations en masse and incentivize parents to make their kids watch that stuff at a very young age. They'll already be conversational when they get to Kindergarten and from there you teach them to read and write and khalas. It's really that simple. You'd be surprised how quick kids pick up a language through media. Teaching through schooling almost always seems to fail. You'll at best make them literate in my experience.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I highly doubt there are a lot of Somalis back home that use Duolingo. Would be surprised if there are more 1000 users.

They’re probably people that are preparing to study in Turkey.

Last edited:

Trending

Latest posts