Nigerian looking Faarax bootyclapping

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Yes but Somalis also have a word for Chinese (Shiino) and Indians (Hindi) alongside their “nicknames”.

We have no appropriate word for Bantus apart from describing their hair.

Inb4 you say madoow, I thought you guys said it’s a white created concept and you have no part in it.

Horrible take, for one, we call all indhoyars shiino, regardless of whether they’re chinese. Same with all south asians we also call them hindi. I dare you to call a pakistani an Indian or a korean a chinese. Let’s see what they say.

So your mental gymnastics of “we have other words for them” is invalid.

Using your logic, we do have appropriate words for bantu other than jar*er, we have the words “kenyaati”, “nigerian” etc. Funny how you were able to use nationalities as an example for chinese and indians but didn’t think of that for other Africans.

Finally, whether we have other “socially accepted” words for a group of people, doesn’t make our other words (i.e indhoyar, jarer) any more or less offensive. I don’t see where you got that logic from.

“hey we call you n*ggers but at least we have other words we may or may not use!”

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Horrible take, for one, we call all indhoyars shiino, regardless of whether they’re chinese. Same with all south asians we also call them hindi. I dare you to call a pakistani an Indian or a korean a chinese. Let’s see what they say.

So your mental gymnastics of “we have other words for them” is invalid.

Using your logic, we do have appropriate words for bantu other than jar*er, we have the words “kenyaati”, “nigerian” etc. Funny how you were able to use nationalities as an example for chinese and indians but didn’t think of that for other Africans.

Finally, whether we have other “socially accepted” words for a group of people, doesn’t make our other words (i.e indhoyar, jarer) any more or less offensive. I don’t see where you got that logic from.

“hey we call you n*ggers but at least we have other words we may or may not use!”

You really want me to respond?

:fantasia2:

If a word in a foreign language you don't even understand can make you upset that means you have the emotional maturity of a child.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Horrible take, for one, we call all indhoyars shiino, regardless of whether they’re chinese.

If you are referring to Asian people as "indhoyar" then no.

We call them "Aashiyaan" or "Aasiyaan" depending on which dialect or preference of spelling.

Shiino is literally only reserved for Chinese people.

Same with all south asians we also call them hindi. I dare you to call a pakistani an Indian or a korean a chinese. Let’s see what they say.

Firstly, even if this was the case, one could make an argument. Prior to 1947, almost the entirety of South Asia was part of a unified India. There is no ethnic difference between a native of Lahore, Pakistan and a native of Amritsar, India.

Regardless....

Somalis have names for Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc.

Sirilaankays is a nickname back home for Somalis that have Indian features.

Let's unpick this slowly.

For the Chinese, even in the English language, the term "Chinese" is used both to refer to the country and the prominent ethnicity (the Han Chinese).

As for Indians, one can argue that Somalis had relatively limited historic contact to have a name for every ethnic group in India. Yes, we had historic trade links but I highly doubt Somali merchants met many Tamils for instance, compared to Europeans/Arabs who settled there.

Using the case of a country in a different continent to justify why we have no appropriate name for an ethnicity that comprises approximately 10% of our population, is weak to say the least.

Inb4 you say I brought up India, let me ask you this:

I told a Pakistani Punjabi and Pakistani Pashtun that my language considers them both Pakistani with no distinction between either.

Then I told a Somali Bantu that my language has no name for him other than his hair type or his skin colour (which we both share).

Who will be more outraged and rightly so.

I said earlier in this thread that the term "indho yar" is unacceptable.

The term "j*reer" is only acceptable in the context of talking about hair type but not referring to a group of people.

That was my entire argument mate.

:snoop:

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Firstly, even if this was the case, one could make an argument. Prior to 1947, almost the entirety of South Asia was part of a unified India.

no you can’t make this argument wtf. Are you saying you can call pakistanis indians just because they were all colonized and placed under the same colony? Do you hear yourself? Even if in some crazy universe they were a country without bei forcefully colonized, they broke up for a reason nearly a century ago and you calling them hindi (which we all know is definitely not because the average Somali knows about the geopolitics and the history of the subcontinent lmao) is still horribly incorrect and offensive.

In no way can you possibly use that excuse, are you telling me the average Somali calls a pakistani a hindi because they know what went down a century ago and have that in mind?
There is no ethnic difference between a native of Lahore, Pakistan and a native of Amritsar, India.
You pick and choose two specific provinces, I’ll tell you there’s a difference between a pashtun pakistan and a punjabi pakistani, let alone a tamil indian and a punjabi pakistani and a gujarati indian. In fact the subcontinent is incredibly diverse.

You are very ignorant to even think they are all the same and it’s ironic you are lecturing anyone about ethnicities if you didn’t even know the ethnic diversity of India bot to mention pakistan as well.
Regardless....

Somalis have names for Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc.

Sirilaankays is a nickname back home for Somalis that have Indian features.
these names are no different than the ones we have for kenyans, nigerians and ugandans.

Then I told a Somali Bantu that my language has no name for him other than his hair type or his skin colour (which we both share).
Your direct ignorance is once again showing by one; feeling the need to have to tell Somali bantu anything about Somali culture as if they don’t share the same culture as us, and 2; telling a somali bantu “my” language as if it isn’t their language as well.

Do you not think Somali bantus know about this as well? I’m in xamar right now and somali bantus are probably 100 times more Somali culturally and linguistically than you’ll ever be. They know more somali than you and you having to explain anything to them about their language is laughable.

They call themselves jarerweyne and know exactly what it means, so you saying it’s not about the africans outside of Somalia but the 10% bantus in Somalia is stupid. This convo is about calling other africans jarers, the ones outside of Somalia and what they would think of such a word.

don't refer to Asian people as indhoyar then try lecture me about racist terms in the same post.
I owe nothing to asians, they have nothing to do with me or my people. I’ll call them indhoyar all I want whether it’s right or wrong, I don’t need to justify anything about that.

I don’t even call Somali Bantus Jarer unless I’m speaking in Somali with other Somalis in Somalia ironically enough. I only use it out of necessity because it is a genuine classifier.

World

VIP
First of all this kid looks 💯 Somali!,secondly there's nothing wrong with having African features,smh. Oh lastly,jare er is a derogatory word and only looser Somalis use it
Only looser Somalis use it? You do know that Bantus in Somalia call themselves jar*erweyne proudly right?

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
no you can’t make this argument wtf. Are you saying you can call pakistanis indians just because they were all colonized and placed under the same colony? Do you hear yourself? Even if in some crazy universe they were a country without bei forcefully colonized, they broke up for a reason nearly a century ago and you calling them hindi (which we all know is definitely not because the average Somali knows about the geopolitics and the history of the subcontinent lmao) is still horribly incorrect and offensive.

In no way can you possibly use that excuse, are you telling me the average Somali calls a pakistani a hindi because they know what went down a century ago and have that in mind?

I literally said, "even if that was the case, one could argue".

That phrase means, that I was not making that case but someone (that is not me) could make one.

You pick and choose two specific provinces, I’ll tell you there’s a difference between a pashtun pakistan and a punjabi pakistani, let alone a tamil indian and a punjabi pakistani and a gujarati indian. In fact the subcontinent is incredibly diverse.

You are very ignorant to even think they are all the same and it’s ironic you are lecturing anyone about ethnicities if you didn’t even know the ethnic diversity of India bot to mention pakistan as well.

I literally refer to the Pakistani Pashtun, Pakistani Punjab and Indian Tamil communities in my response to you.

Below are my references to ethnic groups you mention in my previous response to you.

Pakistani Punjabi and Pakistani Pashtun
I highly doubt Somali merchants met many Tamils for instance, compared to Europeans/Arabs who settled there.

I never stated that Indians were all the same.

You should re-read people's responses.

Last edited:

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
I think the fact that @Periplus grew up in racist Australia and dealt with the pressure of being the only dark skinned kid in the class. He is superimposing his own insecurities into the J word. I have a theory that Somalis who identify with the Nigerian Congoloid subset are infact deeply admixtured

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
these names are no different than the ones we have for kenyans, nigerians and ugandans.

You are again mistaken.

This argument was that Somalis have no appropriate word for Bantus, specifically those in Somalia.

There's a difference between not having a name in your language for an ethnic group in a different continent and not having one for an ethnic group that comprises 10% of your population.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Your direct ignorance is once again showing by one; feeling the need to have to tell Somali bantu anything about Somali culture as if they don’t share the same culture as us, and 2; telling a somali bantu “my” language as if it isn’t their language as well.

Do you not think Somali bantus know about this as well? I’m in xamar right now and somali bantus are probably 100 times more Somali culturally and linguistically than you’ll ever be. They know more somali than you and you having to explain anything to them about their language is laughable.

They call themselves jarerweyne and know exactly what it means, so you saying it’s not about the africans outside of Somalia but the 10% bantus in Somalia is stupid. This convo is about calling other africans jarers, the ones outside of Somalia and what they would think of such a word.

It's 2 am in Australia so I will quickly unpack this loaded statement.

At best this is a poor "reverse uno" attempt to portray me as prejudiced.

1. I refer to my language in that the Somali language was devised by ethnic Somalis and that the first language for most Somali Bantus is maay maay, not maxaa tiri.

2. I have said on numerous occasions on SSpot that I consider Somali Bantus in Somalia have more of a claim to Somalia than myself.

Attached below:

The vast majority of madoow Somalis have lived in Somalia during the war when they would have been accepted by their brothers in Tanzania/Mozambique etc. They're also the backbone of Somalia's construction boom as Somalis generally frown on construction.

Who am I to tell them that they have less of a claim to Somalia than me?

They call themselves j*reerweyn because that's the name they have in the Somali language, which is not their native language but rather those of their former slave masters.

In the English language, Somali Bantus are either called Somali Bantus or Mushunguli.

I owe nothing to asians, they have nothing to do with me or my people. I’ll call them indhoyar all I want whether it’s right or wrong, I don’t need to justify anything about that.

You have a right to, it's a free world.

However, don't refer to yourself as a good person for referring to them as such when you have other words in the Somali language at your disposal.

I don’t even call Somali Bantus Jarer unless I’m speaking in Somali with other Somalis in Somalia ironically enough. I only use it out of necessity because it is a genuine classifier.

Again, you walk right into my point.

We should have another term to describe this group in the Somali language.

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I think the fact that @Periplus grew up in racist Australia and dealt with the pressure of being the only dark skinned kid in the class. He is superimposing his own insecurities into the J word. I have a theory that Somalis who identify with the Nigerian Congoloid subset are infact deeply admixtured

Australia is pretty racist but I was not the only Black person in my class. As for admixture, I don't really care whether I am a 100% ethnic Somali or only 20%. I am happy if I was fully Bantu or fully Somali or a mix, alhamdulillah.

But if you want to see my hair, I already posted it on the "show your hair thread".

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I genuinely want to know what hair type I am, cos I feel like none of the categories fits my hair.

I'm not joking when I say it varies, probably cos I never took much care of it for years.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@Hot Ballah I am about to head to bed.

Please, please, please read through what I say before you respond again.

If you want my position in a nutshell, here is an earlier post I made on this very same thread.

There’s nothing wrong with the name j*reer but there’s a problem with the fact that is the only name we have for them.

Indho yar however, is completely racist.

In my family we only call Hair ja. Reer and we call black people madow, I ask my mum for her race and if she was madow and she’s said she is an arab 😂

Last edited:

Trending