New Nubian genetic study [Christian Early Medieval Period]

Yes, the president of Eritrea tried to fund rebels to make Sudan landlocked like Ethiopia but failed since they couldn't gain a large following. Bejas are historically high-class like Nubians and Sudanese Arabs so they run many important industries. They are not marginalized by the government, in fact some Beja towns and cities look even better than Khartoum - speaking of Khartoum, it was the Beja that nearly defeated the British to protect the capital.
Eastern Sudan was undermined and oppressed by the previous regime, or so I'm told. But let's not make this thread a political thing.:icon lol:

The Nilo-Saharans who conquered them probably looked like the Nara of Eritrea who are very likely Nilo-Cushites instead of full blood Nilotes.

The Nara possess E-V32, I am aware of that. FYI, they are categorised as Shanqalla (Madow) by the Habasha and were subjected to repeated slave raids. Many of the slaves exported to Arabia were from this ethnic group and the Kunama. I digress.

Neither you or I can speculate on how those ancient people looked as there is no doubting cultural and genetic exchange between Ancient Cushites, Nilo-Saharans and the ancestors of Egyptians occurred. If we go by how unadmixed Nilo-Saharans look today, it can be assumed that their phenotype was not as 'Caucasoid' as the Nara and Kunama. Nonetheless, Lord only knows.

Bejas and Nubians are genetically similar (basically identical) and look the same. No one in Sudan can distinguish the two, but if you think you can then tell me who's Nubian and who's Beja:
39nT7c9.png

kIuLnsF.png

lO4vhkw.png

vY31v23.png

5KItJdu.png

h6tkzCw.png

nubian,nubian,beja,nubian, beja, nubian

how i do :kanyehmm:

Eastern Sudan was undermined and oppressed by the previous regime, or so I'm told. But let's not make this thread a political thing.:icon lol:
The former regime was evil to everyone, in fact the majority of people tortured and imprisoned were from the Northern region and Khartoum. Infrastructure-wise Eastern Sudan benefited the most out of any state under the previous regime.

nubian,nubian,beja,nubian, beja, nubian

how i do :kanyehmm:
Only one of them correct. Hint: the men in last picture are neither Beja or Nubian. They live between Nubia and the Beja region, technically they have Beja roots but they identify as their own distinct tribe.

Som

VIP
View attachment 171890Nubian royal cemeteries in el-kurru show that they depicted themselves using a reddish hue.

View attachment 171891

Plus the ezana stone speaks of a red population fighting a black one.

Nubians have enslaved Nilotics and used them as soldiers even going into relatively modern history. There was aversion even until recently in having children with Nilotic concubines.
They were highly egyptianized so they depicted themselves like the egyptians did. Other people though openly described nubians as black

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
The Nara possess E-V32, I am aware of that. FYI, they are categorised as Shanqalla (Madow) by the Habasha and were subjected to repeated slave raids. Many of the slaves exported to Arabia were from this ethnic group and the Kunama. I digress.

Neither you or I can speculate on how those ancient people looked as there is no doubting cultural and genetic exchange between Ancient Cushites, Nilo-Saharans and the ancestors of Egyptians occurred. If we go by how unadmixed Nilo-Saharans look today, it can be assumed that their phenotype was not as 'Caucasoid' as the Nara and Kunama. Nonetheless, Lord only knows.

There are many more signs of Cushitic admixture besides E-V32. Cushites have over 20 different paternal lineages.

The Nara are linguistically the closest to the Nubians. That is what my theory is based on. Anyhow, about them looking down on blacker Nilotes. That could be a learned cultural trait from either Egyptians or Sudanese Arabs rather than something they came up on their own.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Bejas and Nubians are genetically similar (basically identical) and look the same. No one in Sudan can distinguish the two, but if you think you can then tell me who's Nubian and who's Beja:
39nT7c9.png

kIuLnsF.png

lO4vhkw.png

vY31v23.png

5KItJdu.png

h6tkzCw.png
First one looks Sri Lankan
Second one looks habesha
Third one looks somali
Fourth one looks Dominican
Fifth ones looks eritrean
Sixth ones look yemeni

the diversity on these people, they truly are a mystery

Som

VIP
Very interesting study. It raises many questions though.
How can modern nubians who are heavily arab admixed be less west eurasian than medieval nubians? Many arab clans in sudan are actually nubians and even they are about 40% west eurasian max 50% in some cases.
My guess is that there medieval nubian had high coptic admixture especially because the area were they lived is very close to Egypt. The Heart of the nubian medieval kingdom was Makuria wich is further south

Apollo

VIP
Very interesting study. It raises many questions though.
How can modern nubians who are heavily arab admixed be less west eurasian than medieval nubians? Many arab clans in sudan are actually nubians and even they are about 40% west eurasian max 50% in some cases.
My guess is that there medieval nubian had high coptic admixture especially because the area were they lived is very close to Egypt. The Heart of the nubian medieval kingdom was Makuria wich is further south

Still haven't read it entirely, lol, but in it they postulate theories that current Nubians and Sudanese Arabs have admixture from Nilotes and Arabians that those Medieval Christian Nubians did not have. It is somewhere in the study.

There are many more signs of Cushitic admixture besides E-V32. Cushites have over 20 different paternal lineages.

The Nara are linguistically the closest to the Nubians. That is what my theory is based on. Anyhow, about them looking down on blacker Nilotes. That could be a learned cultural trait from either Egyptians or Sudanese Arabs rather than something they came up on their own.

Yes, there are many Cushitic paternal lineages, but the dominant one in the Horn and Sudan is E-V32.

Despite being more admixed than some Western Nilo-Saharans, modern Nara and Kunama look more 'Madow' hence why they are labelled as 'Shanqalla' by the Habasha. Prior to admixture with the more 'Caucasoid' Cushites or Ethio-Semites, it is not inconceivable to assume that they looked more 'Madow'. Just an unscientific guess.

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Yes, there are many Cushitic paternal lineages, but the dominant one in the Horn and Sudan is E-V32.

Despite being more admixed than some Western Nilo-Saharans, modern Nara and Kunama look more 'Madow' hence why they are labelled as 'Shanqalla' by the Habasha. Prior to admixture with the more 'Caucasoid' Cushites or Ethio-Semites, it is not inconceivable to assume that they looked more 'Madow'. Just an unscientific guess.
I heard the amharic word for Madow/adoon “barya” came from the Nara ethnic group and later on shifted to mean slave after anharas enslaved the naras

Som

VIP
They don't have big noses. These look more like typical Nubians (see video).

Many of them look more Arab/North African than even Northern Habeshas do.

Honestly it's kinda like if you used benadiris as an example of how somalis look.
Most nubians are distinct from arabs, those who look arab are actually mostly recently admixed people.
For example Anwar al sadat was nubian, but he was mixed
Nubian people:
images
sudan-nubian-desert-high-nubia-nahr-an-nil-province-meroe-children-CPY5DX.jpg

Som

VIP
He's not Arab he's Nubian, some have stronger Egyptian(Coptic)/Arab features like this man:
FtpyUxy.jpg
I didn't say he isn't nubian. I said he had arab blood like most nubians. Some have more some have less.
Anwar Al sadat was nubian (half sudanese) but it's obvious he had arab admixture as well
Anwar-Sadat.jpg

Apollo

VIP

It is only dominant in Somalis due to a paternal founder effect and even there it is just a 2.7k version called E-Y18629. The Cushitic language family is 5 to 7 thousand years old (2 to 3 times as old as that lineage). Somali paternal frequencies have nothing to do with what the proto-Cushites carried. Just like the E-V6 founder effect in Afars or the E-V22 founder effect in Sahos, there is no one single Cushitic paternal lineage. There are multiple ones and through random chance some took off here and others took off there.

it is not inconceivable to assume that they looked more 'Madow'. Just an unscientific guess.

Lol, well my theory is that they looked like the Nara who are already kinda Nilo-Cushites and then mixed with proto-Bejas along the way to the border to Southern Egypt. Nubians probably looked like Cushites for a very long time. My two cents.

Trending