GENETICS New Nubian genetic study [Christian Early Medieval Period]

Apollo

Staff Member
The egyptians themselves believed they originated in nubia or punt. The predynastic egyptians had some stronger cultural ties with nubia
I think the further back you go in time in Egypt the more similar they become to this population:

Oldest North African genomes around.

I don't think they will ever be like Somalis because Somalis have Nilo-Saharan admixture from North Sudan/Eritrea/Ethiopia border area and hunter-gatherer admixture from paleolithic peoples of Somalia.

I think the further back you go in time in Egypt the more similar they become to this population:

I don't think they will ever be like Somalis because Somalis have Nilo-Saharan admixture from North Sudan/Eritrea/Ethiopia border area and hunter-gatherer admixture from paleolithic peoples of Somalia.
These people were in modern day morocco though which explains why they were part natufian and part west african (maybe ancestors of bantus?). Egypt/Sudan is on the other side of northafrica so I would except any prehistoric egyptian to have nilotic as a subsaharan african component. For example the nabta playa people in southern egypt are believed to be Subsaharan african based on bones and dental structure, some scholars say the were nilo-saharian speakers. If this is true it's likely they were 'nilotic' or similar to nilotic peoples.
These ancient people had advanced astronomical knowledge and built a stonehenge like temple observatory in egypt, it is believed that they influenced the ancient Egyptian religion a lot.

The egyptians themselves believed they originated in nubia or punt. The predynastic egyptians had some stronger cultural ties with nubia
Egyptians along with other Afro-Asian groups originated in the Lower Nubia/upper Egypt region. So they were not wrong, in a way.

What do you think Somalia's admixture is really? Nilote + Eurasian? Or Nubian + Nilotic.
Somalians are Euroasian+Nilotic just like the Nubians. My guess is that the Nile river was the route for this back Euroasian migration, and hence Nubia might very well been the Urheimat of Cushitic speakers/Cushitic people before it was assimilated by Nilo-Saharan speakers, with Somalis being predominantly E3b1 as a result of founder effect.

so I did some further reading the other day and it turned out that what seemed as a reasonable theory to me (Nile being the route for the back migration) is actually the most accepted hypothesis by archaeologists/linguists backed by evidence from both fields, but I also found this:

while it says that somali E3b1 probably came from the nile valley during the time period when Cushitic culture started appearing in the archaeological record (10-6ka) it also says that HOA people at least on their matrilineal side have way older non-African dna, so somalis might actually have an older non-cushitic euroasian ancestry on their matrilineal side. thought I should share it because I wouldn't like to spread any misinformation.

Somalians are Euroasian+Nilotic just like the Nubians. My guess is that the Nile river was the route for this back Euroasian migration, and hence Nubia might very well been the Urheimat of Cushitic speakers/Cushitic people before it was assimilated by Nilo-Saharan speakers, with Somalis being predominantly E3b1 as a result of founder effect.
I would add pre-dynastic Upper Egyptians to that list too.

Egypt has never been a monolith. It is not one entity.
Pre-dynastic upper Egyptians always clustered closer to Lower Nubians in almost every test done. Unfortunately there hasn't been any conclusive DNA tests done on upper Egyptians, let alone pre-dynastic UE.
New Kingdom - Ptolemaic DNA tests are the only thing that we have to go by which is not representative in any way.

World

VIP
Well regular Egyptians look distinct from Arabs. Copts are basically the original Egyptians, not Bedouin settlers.
The only difference between Copts and other Egyptians is that the latter have more SSA admixture due to the slave trade.

The only difference between Copts and other Egyptians is that the latter have more SSA admixture due to the slave trade.
Those DNA tests cannot be used as defintive per the study itself. If you read the entire study it mentions clearly in the conclusion that the sample size is not conclusive in any way and the study was derived mainly from a small area in Lower Egypt.
To pretend that as conclusive is being academically dishonest.

In order to learn anything more about the Ancient Egyptians, there would have to be huge studies and samples from:
i) Upper Egypt
ii) Territory between the 1st and 2nd cataracts (origin of pre dynastic and dynastic Egyptians).

Trending