Muslims are being oppressed by Ethiopian Orthodox Christians in Aksum

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's against the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian religion for a mosque to be built in Axum, then the Muslim residents should just move elsewhere.
That claim derived from public consensus. It's not written in their bible. So no, it's not against the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian religion to build a mosque in Axum.

World

VIP
That claim derived from public consensus. It's not written in their bible. So no, it's not against the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian religion to build a mosque in Axum.
Senior clerics of the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian religion said, so not public consensus.

There are mosques less than 10 miles outside the city which the Muslim residents are free to go to. That's closer than the nearest mosque to me, yet you don't see me complaining. If they don't like it in Axum, then they're free to leave.

Christians are not allowed to enter let alone build a mosque in Makkah and Madinah, so we Muslims should not be hypocrites.

Senior clerics of the Ethiopian Orthodox Christian religion said, so not public consensus.

There are mosques less than 10 miles outside the city which the Muslim residents are free to go to. That's closer than the nearest mosque to me, yet you don't see me complaining. If they don't like it in Axum, then they're free to leave.

Christians are not allowed to enter let alone build a mosque in Makkah and Madinah, so we Muslims should not be hypocrites.
"In Christianity, the holy places are significant because they are the place of birth, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus, the Savior or Messiah to Christianity."

Axum is not even considered a holy city in Christianity following their own specific methodological guidelines.

Would you also support the people of Harar banning churches as many of them believe it to be one of the holiest sites in Islam? It’s also a holy and historic city for Muslims.

Edit: I just read the posts after your last comment to me, seems the point has already been made. What do you think?

That is false equavalcy. Axum is to Ortodox Christians what Mecca is to Muslims and the Vatican to Catholics. It's not a feeling. I just told you the city contains a sacred artifact which is why it is considered Holy. The more appropriate comparison would be Lalibela and there are mosques in that city.

"In Christianity, the holy places are significant because they are the place of birth, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus, the Savior or Messiah to Christianity."

Axum is not even considered a holy city in Christianity following their own specific methodological guidelines.

Axum has the arc of covenant. Which is why it is considered Holy.

That is false equavalcy. Axum is to Ortodox Christians what Mecca is to Muslims and the Vatican to Catholics. It's not a feeling. I just told you the city contains a sacred artifact which is why it is considered Holy. The more appropriate comparison would be Lalibela and there are mosques in that city.
Orthodox Christian’s don’t believe it does. *Ethiopian* Orthodox Christians do. Same way Horn of Africa Muslims feel about Harar. False equivalence where?

Mind you these Axumite Muslims are indigenous to the city, the Christian’s in Harar came from other regions.

Orthodox Christian’s don’t believe it does. *Ethiopian* Orthodox Christians do. Same way Horn of Africa Muslims feel about Harar. False equivalence where?

Mind you these Axumite Muslims are indigenous to the city, the Christian’s in Harar came from other regions.

ETHIOPIAN Orthodox is the literally the oldest in the world. We are not getting dictated by outside Orthodox on what we consider Holy or not. We say the arc is in Axum therefore it is there. We say it's holy therefore it's holy. Outide orthodox can accept it or not their feeling are not relevant. Within Ethiopia both Axum and Lalibela are a place of pilgrimage but only one contains the arc while the other has the replica. Hence mosque can be built in Lalibela but not Axum.

Another thing you cannot with certainty say the Christians in Harar are not indigenous and if you read the article it is actually people not leaving in Axum push the most for the mosque.

Axum has the arc of covenant. Which is why it is considered Holy.
rsz_5d1261243381a.png

ETHIOPIAN Orthodox is the literally the oldest in the world. We are not getting dictated by outside Orthodox on what we consider Holy or not. We say the arc is in Axum therefore it is there. We say it's holy therefore it's holy. Outide orthodox can accept it or not their feeling are not relevant. Within Ethiopia both Axum and Lalibela are a place of pilgrimage but only one contains the arc while the other has the replica. Hence mosque can be built in Lalibela but not Axum.

Another thing you cannot with certainty say the Christians in Harar are not indigenous and if you read the article it is actually people not leaving in Axum push the most for the mosque.
There're Harari sufi's who consider Harar a holy city. So using your analogy there shouldn't be any churches in Harar.

I don't think they consider it as holy as Mecca but still holy.

Okay then my point still stands. There are other place in Ethiopia considered Holy by orthodox but does not have the same restriction. I think you guys are underestimating the place Axum holds in Ethiopian Orthodoxy.

Okay then my point still stands. There are other place in Ethiopia considered Holy by orthodox but does not have the same restriction. I think you guys are underestimating the place Axum holds in Ethiopian Orthodoxy.

You are just trying to justify oppression, we consider Jerusalem holy and it always had mosques, churches and synagogues because everyone there are not muslims. There isnt any christians or non muslims in Mecca and Madina hence there isnt any churches. It isnt a rocket science but common sense.

Ethiopias constitution guarentees that every religion is equal under the law. If muslims of Axum own the land they can build a Mosque in it. There isnt any legal arguments to deny these muslims their right to practice their religion, infact what is happening in Axum is unconstitutional. Any decent lawyer would win this case in a fair trial.

I'm not sure what the first half of your post is in response to. I simply corrected that its an *ethiopian orthodox christian belief and not an orthodox christian belief like you stated. I didnt say whether it was the oldest (its of course not) nor did I say you should be dictated to by others. I said, it's said to be holy by Ethiopian* orthodox only, similiar to how Horn muslims believe Harar is holy.

Youre talking in circles. Clearly just biased against your fellow Ethiopian Muslims. Its cool im not surprised.

Yeah I can say with certainty the Christians within Harar now migrated there, unless you can show me otherwise?

And no, a Christian man in the article *claimed* that people outside of Axum were pushing for it while the article itself quotes Muslims from Axum expressing their desire to build a mosque, the hardships they face and the tension and hostility they feel from the Christians there.

You are just trying to justify oppression, we consider Jerusalem holy and it always had mosques, churches and synagogues because everyone there are not muslims. There isnt any christians or non muslims in Mecca and Madina hence there isnt any churches. It isnt a rocket science but common sense.

Ethiopias constitution guarentees that every religion is equal under the law. If muslims of Axum own the land they can build a Mosque in it. There isnt any legal arguments to deny these muslims their right to practice their religion, infact what is happening in Axum is unconstitutional. Any decent lawyer would win this case in a fair trial.

Are you saying if there were Christians in Mecca they will be allowed to build a church? The answer is no.

Are you saying if there were Christians in Mecca they will be allowed to build a church? The answer is no.

Christians are not allowed into Mecca, because it is holiest city same with Medina. The fact that there is muslims in Axum means it isnt as holy as you want us to believe.

Besides Saudi Arabias constitution doesnt pretend to be fair. In Saudi constitution Islam is the only religion they accept unlike in Ethiopia where there is freedom of religion. Your arguments are void and null, they make zero sense. Just admit it that what is happening in Axum is infact oppression.
:bell:

I'm not sure what the first half of your post is in response to. I simply corrected that its an *ethiopian orthodox christian belief and not an orthodox christian belief like you stated. I didnt say whether it was the oldest (its of course not) nor did I say you should be dictated to by others. I said, it's said to be holy by Ethiopian* orthodox only, similiar to how Horn muslims believe Harar is holy.

Youre talking in circles. Clearly just biased against your fellow Ethiopian Muslims. Its cool im not surprised.

Yeah I can say with certainty the Christians within Harar now migrated there, unless you can show me otherwise?

And no, a Christian man in the article *claimed* that people outside of Axum were pushing for it while the article itself quotes Muslims from Axum expressing their desire to build a mosque, the hardships they face and the tension and hostility they feel from the Christians there.

You are actually the one going in circles. You always talk like you have deep knowledge of Ethiopia but don't seem to understand the simple fact of Ethiopian Ortodoxy being is it's own thing. It's not like Russian or Egyptian orthodoxy. It has similarity but goes by its own rules. You pointed out that it was only an Ethiopian Orthodoxy belief and somehow the other orthodox not believing in it made it less holy. I was trying to explain why it doesn't work that way.

I am assuming you guys are comparing it to Islam which is were you are getting confused. As for the rest neither of us can prove otherwise so the point is moot.

Btw I am not even Orthodox. I was just trying to explain their position.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

We do not care what is holy for you. If christians are allowed to build a church in Godey, which is 99% muslim, we are allowed to build a mosque in the center of Aksum. If an entire city is off limits to the construction of mosques, then all of Somali region is off limits.

Ethiopia as a state has avoided religious tensions largely because the state has been even handed. The government allows muslims and christians to build wherever they want. I do not want ethiopians muslims to become radicalized and this is precisely the kind of thing that stirs up the religious pot. Incredibly stupid of Tigray region that they have allowed this.

btw Harar is known as "the fourth holy city of Islam". If no churches can be built in Aksum non should exist in Harar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts