Mohammed Siyad Barre appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'm following your line of logic. It wasn't under Barre that the massive chimpout and looting of Mogadishu took place.

It was exactly because of him. Didn't you know over 100 Somali Politicans, ex-SYL members, businessmen and higher ups signed a petition in 1990 calling for the peaceful step down of Barre, followed by a true democratic election? This was due to his inability to lead the nation, his exploitation of qabiil tensions, his massacres of civilians, stealing of livestock and raping of women. Even Aden Abdulle Osman, the first president of the Somali Republic, had signed this manifesto, called Mogadishu Manifesto.

And Barre took a huge shit on this petition that was supported by the majority of Somalis. He would then, shortly after massacrering dozens of demonstrators in a football stadium, arrest over half of the signatories and sentence them to death. The public became furious and assembled around the court and around Mogadishu to protest the sentence, virtually stooping all activity in the city. Barre, who was shook, released the people he had sentenced to execution. Still he didn't step down. This was before the Civil War, USC and SNM.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There is no defending Barre. He was a traitor to the Somali people and the Somali Republic.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
:heh:

Forget step down, he was thrown out and "died on a toilet" in Nigeria.

What happened after that? Where's the land of milk and honey we were promised?

:hemad:

Maxaa ku geeyay the ends of the earth?

waraabe

Your superior
:heh:

Forget step down, he was thrown out and "died on a toilet" in Nigeria.

What happened after that? Where's the land of milk and honey we were promised?

:hemad:

Maxaa ku geeyay the ends of the earth?
Why didn't he just step down?

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Why didn't he just step down?

Because he was a dictator, what kind of question is that? :icon lol:

I'm not telling you it was wrong to fight against him and overthrow him. Hell, if I were around I'd be the first to say he should go.

All I'm saying is if you're gonna go ahead with a coup, make sure you do better than the guy before you, or at the very least make sure you don't end up with a failed state :icon lol:

waraabe

Your superior
Because he was a dictator, what kind of question is that? :icon lol:

I'm not telling you it was wrong to fight against him and overthrow him. Hell, if I were around I'd be the first to say he should go.

All I'm saying is if you're gonna go ahead with a coup, make sure you do better than the guy before you, or at the very least make sure you don't end up with a failed state :icon lol:
By that time it was too late. It was a full blown civil war

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
By that time it was too late. It was a full blown civil war

Siad Barre lost the civil war decisively. The coup, from a military perspective, was wildly successful.

Politically?

:damn:

There have been two successful coups in Somalia: 1969, leading to a 21 year military regime that experienced modest success, and 1991, leading to 26 years and counting of anarchy.

:damedamn:

waraabe

Your superior
Siad Barre lost the civil war decisively. The coup, from a military perspective, was wildly successful.

Politically?

:damn:

There have been two successful coups in Somalia: 1969, leading to a 21 year military regime that experienced modest success, and 1991, leading to 26 years and counting of anarchy.

:damedamn:

1991 wasn't a coup but a civil war that started in 88

The somalia people deserve better than what they have now. The civil war was a waste of blood and stability for a few men's arrogant project that continues to this day :tocry:

The civil war was the start to the suffering that we are experincing to this day, and you'd have to be a masochist to enjoy:susp:

waraabe

Your superior
The somalia people deserve better than what they have now. The civil war was a waste of blood and stability for a few mens arrogant project that continues to this day :tocry:

The civil war was the start to the suffering that we are experincing to this day, and you'd have to be a masochist to enjoy:susp:

What bullshit most Somalis are better off than under siyaad barre and that is a fact. The only difference now is that al Shabab is killing people rather than siyaads army

The somalia people deserve better than what they have now. The civil war was a waste of blood and stability for a few mens arrogant project that continues to this day :tocry:

The Civil War happened because of suffering and human rights abuses under Barre. It could have been spared had he stepped down like everyone wanted.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
1991 wasn't a coup but a civil war that started in 88

The president and his government were forcibly removed from power by the victorious rebels.

What do you call that if not a coup? It was a rousing success, all of Somalia united against the hated dictator and his brutal regime that they were finally rid of, and then they all lived happily ever after, right?

:mjkkk:

It was exactly because of him. Didn't you know over 100 Somali Politicans, ex-SYL members, businessmen and higher ups signed a petition in 1990 calling for the peaceful step down of Barre, followed by a true democratic election? This was due to his inability to lead the nation, his exploitation of qabiil tensions, his massacres of civilians, stealing of livestock and raping of women. Even Aden Abdulle Osman, the first president of the Somali Republic, had signed this manifesto, called Mogadishu Manifesto.

And Barre took a huge shit on this petition that was supported by the majority of Somalis. He would then, shortly after massacrering dozens of demonstrators in a football stadium, arrest over half of the signatories and sentence them to death. The public became furious and assembled around the court and around Mogadishu to protest the sentence, virtually stooping all activity in the city. Barre, who was shook, released the people he had sentenced to execution. Still he didn't step down. This was before the Civil War, USC and SNM.

There is no defending Barre. He was a traitor to the Somali people and the Somali Republic.
I understand that but when you look at the greater good deposing Barre achieved. Revolting was not worth it in the first place

waraabe

Your superior
The president and his government were forcibly removed from power by the victorious rebels.

What do you call that if not a coup? It was a rousing success, all of Somalia united against the hated dictator and his brutal regime that they were finally rid of, and then they all lived happily ever after, right?

:mjkkk:

Lol coup is illegal seizure of power but the throwing out of afwayne was anything but illegal

Allah will not hold Barre accountable for the evils hawiye committed after he was ousted. Its 2017, and you savages have not stopped looting, raping, murdering, bombing etc. There are African countries who toppled their leaders and did not go on mass, rape, murder, looting land and wealth of other clans. You can blame him on earth but you will not blame him for your evils in akhira.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Lol coup is illegal seizure of power but the throwing out of afwayne was anything but illegal

You can call it what you want, the outcome is the same. There have been countless dictators far far worse than MSB overthrown by rebels, yet only one Somalia.

The anarchy has lasted 5 more years now than his entire regime ffs.

waraabe

Your superior
You can call it what you want, the outcome is the same. There have been countless dictators far far worse than MSB overthrown by rebels, yet only one Somalia.

The anarchy has lasted 5 more years now than his entire regime ffs.

he killed his own people, there is no justification no matter what unless you don't consider other clans as your people

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
he killed his own people, there is no justification no matter what unless you don't consider other clans as your people

Wtf are you talking about? Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't have fought the guy. Without the benefit of hindsight, I'd fight against his deeply flawed regime myself. What I'm saying is yall fucked up after lmao.

The new order in Somalia is apparently not to the liking of all the opposition rebel movements.

Yesterday, Ali Mahdi Mohamed became interim president 3 days after USC [United Somali Congress] rebels took control of Mogadishu following four weeks of street fighting in the city.

President Siyaad Barre is apparently on the run but Omar Arteh, who was made prime minister by Siyaad Barre last week, keeps his job.

The new administration is telling government soldiers to surrender to the local rebel movements, the SNM [Somali National Movement] in the north; the USC in central Somalia; and the Patriotic Movement in the south.

But the SNM seems to be disgruntled about events in Mogadishu with its nose rather put out of joint.

Robin White asked senior SNM member Ahmed Silanyo what they were unhappy about:

[Silanyo] Well, after all, it is not a question of being unhappy. It is, first of all, a question of principle. Let me say right from the start, I know at least seven of those people and they are very admirable people and we have a great deal of respect for them. And we can understand the situation in which Mogadishu is, but the principle is that there has been an agreement between the organizations, the liberation movements themselves, long before Siyaad Barre was gone, that organizations will liberate certain areas in which they have much support and that any future government – temporary or otherwise – would come only through consultation between the various liberation movements and that has not happened.

[White] But Ali Mahdi Mohamed, the new president has said that he is willing to talk to you about anything you want to talk about now. Are you going to talk to him, negotiate with him, or what will you do?

[Silanyo] Well, a president is appointed by organizations or elected by the people of the country. So, SNM has not been consulted on that, how could they possibly accept it?

[White] So, are you refusing to recognize the new president, the prime minister?

[Silanyo] Well, it is quite clear, there is no question of recognition of that. SNM is controlling part of the country, and so are the other liberation movements. We are very much in support of USC, for instance, to establish [words indistinct] to make peace and order, law and order, and to establish security in the Mogadishu area, or areas under their control, and that is a very, very admirable thing. That is exactly what we want to do in the areas which are under our control, but we obviously cannot accept a government that has been established by either Siyaad Barre or established by a single organization or individuals who have elected themselves.

[White] Many people outside Somalia will find it pretty hard to believe that now you have got rid of Siyaad Barre and already you are quarreling amongst yourselves.

:dead::dead::dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending