Major projects currently in Kenya

Somalis need to move into lamu, somali clans already live heavily in inland lamu and both neighbouring districts demographically taking over isn’t going to be that hard if there’s an incentive

We need to cultivate and develop the land we currently have instead of focusing on other regions. We don’t even have control of Hargeisa so no point focusing on Lamu.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Kenya has a Gini co-efficient(income distribution metric) better then America and is only a few points from the world average.

1 out 10 Kenyans own 40% of the entire economy. That's an unequal distribution according to the Gini co-efficient.

Here are the African nations with a better Gini co-efficient than Kenya: Tanzania, Senegal, Burundi, Gabon, Mauritius, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Niger, Guinea, Mali, Tunisia, Mauritania, Egypt, Algeria.

I can definitely tell you several of these countries are no-where near "lightyears" ahead of Somalia.

They are also a middle income country which is most definitely light years away from Somalia.

They're a lower middle income country, with around 1 in 3 employed people under the international poverty line.

Imagine what the figure would be if I used the middle-income country poverty line?

I'll spare you on that tho.

The smallest mindset is thinking we are “placing them on a pedestal” I want you and your fellow botdom to see what populists and corrupt leaders bring compared to checks and balances/devolution of powers.

If you think Kenya is where Somalia should be in 2 or 3 decades then that's a small mindset.

No country in Africa bar maybe Botswana is a good model for economic management because if they were good examples, Africa would be a lot better than it is today.

I am not wanting to be harsh on Kenya but I have to because ppl on this thread genuinely see them as a role-model (out of everyone else) for progress.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Some Somalis would rather die than admit that Kenyans are really doing a good job of developing their country and improving their living standards.

No-one is denying that they're improving their living standards but there other countries in Africa let alone the rest of the world that has better development success stories.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
You will find slums in every single major urban city, including Beijing. Just because there's shitty parts in a country doesn't make the whole country shit -- not sure why this has to spelled out...

When a quarter to a half of a capital city's residents live in slums or under-developed areas, that's an indictment on a country.

Does a quarter of Beijings residents live in Mathare or Kibera or other slums...

It's funny seeing some of the biggest Somalia-hating , qabiilsete and prominent FKD folks on this site, here defending Kenya as usual, they never miss an opportunity to twerk for Kenya .

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
"Chinese debt trap" you may call it, but I reckon ordinary Kenyan citizens don't mind enjoying this kind of world class infrastructure in their country. Just look at the state of these railway stations. Better than some Airport terminals in Africa.

You mean the Jim Crow-esque, loss-making, environmentally hazardous Chinese funded and operated railway.

It's not only bleeding money, most of the skilled jobs is reserved for the Chinese and nearly all the machinery and instructions are in Chinese.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 4.34.12 pm.png

As for Kenya's debt situation......

Kenya’s debt was 65.7% of its GDP by the end of June. In May, the International Monetary Fund raised the country’s risk of debt distress to “high” from “moderate” due to the impact of Covid-19, “which exacerbated existing vulnerabilities”, it said.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I didn't want to be this harsh on Kenya but people are claiming its lightyears ahead of Somalia and praising projects such as the Standard Gauge Railway without reading closely.

If Somalia wants to become successful, it shouldn't look to other African countries aside from maybe Rwanda and Botswana as examples for good economic management.

I actually very much like Kenya and I'm not delusional enough to claim its worse than Somalia or a horrible country but I draw the line at people looking to it as an example.

I didn't want to be this harsh on Kenya but people are claiming its lightyears ahead of Somalia and praising projects such as the Standard Gauge Railway without reading closely.

If Somalia wants to become successful, it shouldn't look to other African countries aside from maybe Rwanda and Botswana as examples for good economic management.

I actually very much like Kenya and I'm not delusional enough to claim its worse than Somalia or a horrible country but I draw the line at people looking to it as an example.

-Kenya is light years ahead of Somalia in development
-Kenya is not the ideal model of economic management in Africa

The two aren't mutually exclusive, both can be true, which is the case.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
-Kenya is light years ahead of Somalia in development
-Kenya is not the ideal model of economic management in Africa

The two aren't mutually exclusive, both can be true, which is the case.

To reach Kenya's level will only take a decade or two for a well-managed stable government.

Many of you forget that a fifth of Somalia is held by Al-Shabaab and that the government does not have full control of the country by any long shot.

As soon as the FGS has control of Somalia, the gap will be narrowed considerably.

You can argue with me all you want but Kenya is not "light years" ahead of Somalia. Rwanda's rapid economic development in less than 2 decades proves that Kenya isn't light years ahead of anyone.

To reach Kenya's level will only take a decade or two for a well-managed stable government.

No even close. In my opinion Somalia can expect to catch up to todays Kenya in about 17+ years only if security improves significantly in the next 2 years & everything goes smoothly.

Remember, Somalia has an almost entirely uneducated & illiterate population, we've had no public education for 30+ years. This is not postwar Germany, but more post Soviet Afghanistan. Somalia needs to rebuild not just roads and bridges but a new nationality identity. I don't even see Hargeisa under the control of Mogadishu in 10 years time. Lets not kid ourselves we've got a long road ahead...

edit: I saw the 'decade or two' after I wrote that, i agree closer to 20 years. That's still a really long time though lol (but more realistic unfortunately)

>You can argue with me all you want but Kenya is not "light years" ahead of Somalia. Rwanda's rapid economic development in less than 2 decades proves that Kenya isn't light years ahead of anyone.

I think we may have different opinions on what is 'light years'. Personally i think 20 years is a very long time....

>You can argue with me all you want but Kenya is not "light years" ahead of Somalia. Rwanda's rapid economic development in less than 2 decades proves that Kenya isn't light years ahead of anyone.

I think we may have different opinions on what is 'light years'. Personally i think 20 years is a very long time....

1 light year = 37,200 human years :mjpls:

Reborn
No even close. In my opinion Somalia can expect to catch up to todays Kenya in about 17+ years only if security improves significantly in the next 2 years & everything goes smoothly.

Remember, Somalia has an almost entirely uneducated & illiterate population, we've had no public education for 30+ years. This is not postwar Germany, but more post Soviet Afghanistan. Somalia needs to rebuild not just roads and bridges but a new nationality identity. I don't even see Hargeisa under the control of Mogadishu in 10 years time. Lets not kid ourselves we've got a long road ahead...

edit: I saw the 'decade or two' after I wrote that, i agree closer to 20 years. That's still a really long time though lol (but more realistic unfortunately)

Are you saying in 20 years Somalia will catch up with Kenya :mjlol:

You mean the Jim Crow-esque, loss-making, environmentally hazardous Chinese funded and operated railway.

It's not only bleeding money, most of the skilled jobs is reserved for the Chinese and nearly all the machinery and instructions are in Chinese.

View attachment 197003

As for Kenya's debt situation......

I would ignore all this fake news media noise . This is all bullshit propaganda being pushed by Western diplomats in Africa. They are not very happy with China making a foothold in Africa. Everywhere you look at any infrastructure project being done in Africa right now, there is equal arguments for and against the said development. I prefer to filter all the propaganda and noise and look at the big picture.

FFS the railway is not being built to generate profits from the word go. It's not a fucking private business. Heck even private enterprises don't have guaranteed profits from their first two years of operation.

How do you try to sell a story that a railway from one of the largest and busiest ports in Africa (Mombasa) through the capital city of Kenya is not a viable project? This railway is literally serving 100 million people in Kenya and Uganda alone, plus millions more to places like Rwanda & Eastern DRC.

How do you try to lie to people that a highway project being built to ease chronic traffic gridlocks is not a good project? Do those ridiculous p&l accounts from the fake news media capture and quantify the man hours and the fuel save by the new highway?

When analysing the viability of any infrastructure projects you should be looking at the long term overall impact on the economy. Don't come shouting at the top of your lungs to say that a new railway in operation for just two years has made a "loss". How about you come back after the railway has been in operation for 100 years and give us the true accounting.

Reborn
I would ignore all this fake news media noise . This is all bullshit propaganda being pushed by Western diplomats in Africa. They are not very happy with China making a foothold in Africa. Everywhere you look at any infrastructure project being done in Africa right now, there is equal arguments for and against the said development. I prefer to filter all the propaganda and noise and look at the big picture.

FFS the railway is not being built to generate profits from the word go. It's not a fucking private business. Heck even private enterprises don't have guaranteed profits from their first two years of operation.

How do you try to sell a story that a railway from one of the largest and busiest ports in Africa (Mombasa) through the capital city of Kenya is not a viable project? This railway is literally serving 100 million people in Kenya and Uganda alone, plus millions more to places like Rwanda & Eastern DRC.

How do you try to lie to people that a highway project being built to ease chronic traffic gridlocks is not a good project? Do those ridiculous p&l accounts from the fake news media capture and quantify the man hours and the fuel save by the new highway?

When analysing the viability of any infrastructure projects you should be looking at the long term overall impact on the economy. Don't come shouting at the top of your lungs to say that a new railway in operation for just two years has made a "loss". How about you come back after the railway has been in operation for 100 years and give us the true accounting.

It's true there are many issues surrounding this railway that can't be dismissed and it ain't fear mongering when pointing it all out :leon:

It's true there are many issues surrounding this railway that can't be dismissed and it ain't fear mongering when pointing it all out :leon:
I agree the railway project has got some issues that needs to be looked at. However it is a good project overall, looking at the big picture. Remember this is a work in progress. The railway is supposed to be built all the way to Uganda, a landlocked country that relies almost entirely on the port of Mombasa. Right now this railway project is halfway done.

I have looked at the figures for the Mombasa - Nairobi section of the railway. It is doing 1.5 million passengers and 5.5 million tonnes of cargo per year. Those are decent figures, almost reaching break even in terms of operational cost. Seriously speaking this railway is a viable project in the long-term.

I am SUPER impressed with Kenya, in 10 years time Kenya will be at a development stage where Somalia wouldn't be able to catch up in our lifetime.

Lamu-Southern Sudan-Ethiopia Transport Corridor (LAPSSET)

Konza smart city

Nairobi-Mombasa Express Highway

Kenya is like that because they threw any self respect that they had out the window and most of the citizens live in poverty and own none of their own land while most of the Somalis there thrive and have property in Kenya and Somalia.

There are a lot of the reasons that Somalia is the way it is today, like the natural resources we have which is why US and Saudi have been bombing us for 20+ years to cause enough instability between locals to fully invade the country

Other Somalis willingly go along with it because of qabil and jealousy/envy from poor people to those who prosper in the country so when their handed guns and bombs they absolutely will attack their people.

I hope Al Shabab will get punished by Allah SWT not only are they selling out their own people and killing innocent Muslim lives and women and poor children for a couple hundred bucks from the Saudis but they’re doing it with the name of Allah SWT and Islam in their dirty lips.

Reborn
Kenya is like that because they threw any self respect that they had out the window and most of the citizens live in poverty and own none of their own land while most of the Somalis there thrive and have property in Kenya and Somalia.

There are a lot of the reasons that Somalia is the way it is today, like the natural resources we have which is why US and Saudi have been bombing us for 20+ years to cause enough instability between locals to fully invade the country

Other Somalis willingly go along with it because of qabil and jealousy/envy from poor people to those who prosper in the country so when their handed guns and bombs they absolutely will attack their people.

I hope Al Shabab will get punished by Allah SWT not only are they selling out their own people and killing innocent Muslim lives and women and poor children for a couple hundred bucks from the Saudis but they’re doing it with the name of Allah SWT and Islam in their dirty lips.

1628762222216.png