Linguistic diversity

Should minority languages be protected?

• Total voters

VixR

Veritas
Really bad example.

Spanish police was beating up Catalan independence protesters not long ago.

But Catalan isn’t a dialect of Spanish. It’s completely unintelligible to them.

What you guys are talking about are basically types of Somali, which is ridiculously meta to worry about, especially when conventional Somali is so dominant.

I will say one thing, you’re not boasting pridefully that it should 100% be protected even though your family speaks it, which is interesting, and definitely rare for a Somali.

If it is the “white world”, then Canada, Belgium and Switzerland come to mind. Not long ago, Belgium was on the brink of breaking up and Spain is too fragile with the Basque and Catalan problem. like Spain, France has the Basque problem too. Switzerland is more successful because of the cantons having equal political voice. That has never been extended to those grieving in Spain, France and Belgium.

If it is the “white world”, then Canada, Belgium and Switzerland come to mind. Not long ago, Belgium was on the brink of breaking up and Spain is too fragile with the Basque and Catalan problem. like Spain, France has the Basque problem too. Switzerland is more successful because of the cantons having equal political voice. That has never been extended to those grieving in Spain, France and Belgium.
Here's a fun fact. When the Anglo-Saxons invaded the British isles & encountered the Native Celts/Britons, they labelled them the "Welsh" which means Alien/foreigner in old English/Anglo-Saxon, since they spoke an alien language to the Germanic Anglo-Saxons.

Till this day, there's an ethnic group in Britain that has adopted the slur "Welsh" as their ethnic name :icon lol:

Just curious to know if people think it's worth preserving the minority languages back in Somalia.

@SOMALI GENERAL ]

A mature and civilised nation preserves everything that is historical including the languages of its inhabitants. Australia is spending tens of millions of dollars to persevere many Aboriginal languages, even some are taught today in primary schools where it’s voluntary and becoming popular with the upper middle class, but if we are talking about Somalia, preserving human lives from wars and continuous droughts takes precedence and we are failing on both fronts. The people will preserve to whatever they speak.

Wow, never thought that’s how they got the name ‘Welsh’.

@Apollo

Tanzania’s official language is Swahili and English is the de facto official language. You can’t have multi languages as an official language in a country like Tanzania. But people are not forced to speak Swahili within their communities like Franco forced the Catalans and Basques in Spain.

@SomaliWadaniSoldier

A mature and civilised nation preserves everything that is historical including the languages of its inhabitants. Australia is spending tens of millions of dollars to persevere many Aboriginal languages, even some are taught today in primary schools where it’s voluntary and becoming popular with the upper middle class, but if we are talking about Somalia, preserving human lives from wars and continuous droughts takes precedence and we are failing on both fronts. The people will preserve to whatever they speak.

@Apollo

Tanzania’s official language is Swahili and English is the de facto official language. You can’t have multi languages as an official language in a country like Tanzania. But people are not forced to speak Swahili within their communities like Franco forced the Catalans and Basques in Spain.
Im not @SomaliWadaniSoldier lmao

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
@SOMALI GENERAL ]

Wow, never thought that’s how they got the name ‘Welsh’.

@Apollo

In all my years of primary school I've had the delight of having all sorts of Australian teachers trying to make a buck and everytime we asked them about aboriginals the answer was they either didn't know much or they were treated like utter shit.

A few quick searches show their indeed treated atrociously and their culture is trampled on. Couldn't even spare a fucking sacred tree

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...d-djap-wurrung-trees-as-police-deadline-looms

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12...me-cultural-preservation-in-australia/9269956

A report in the National Indigenous Times claims in NSW between 2005 and 2009, the State Government approved 541 permits to destroy or disturb Aboriginal heritage sites.

In Tasmania, vandals destroyed hand stencils that traditional owners estimate are up to 8,000 years old.

They scratched the hand stencils out on the eve of the anniversary of the Bringing Them Home report on the experiences of people from the Stolen Generations.

And there's a whole host of other issues if we're going to look at the treatment of the aborigines, not their culture.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/ILB/2003/47.html

Australia is most certainly not an example of a country preserving its old heritage, hell I wouldn't be surprised if Canada or the US was slightly better at it.

In all my years of primary school I've had the delight of having all sorts of Australian teachers trying to make a buck and everytime we asked them about aboriginals the answer was they either didn't know much or they were treated like utter shit.

A few quick searches show their indeed treated atrociously and their culture is trampled on. Couldn't even spare a fucking sacred tree

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...d-djap-wurrung-trees-as-police-deadline-looms

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12...me-cultural-preservation-in-australia/9269956

A report in the National Indigenous Times claims in NSW between 2005 and 2009, the State Government approved 541 permits to destroy or disturb Aboriginal heritage sites.

In Tasmania, vandals destroyed hand stencils that traditional owners estimate are up to 8,000 years old.

They scratched the hand stencils out on the eve of the anniversary of the Bringing Them Home report on the experiences of people from the Stolen Generations.

And there's a whole host of other issues if we're going to look at the treatment of the aborigines, not their culture.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/ILB/2003/47.html

Australia is most certainly not an example of a country preserving its old heritage, hell I wouldn't be surprised if Canada or the US was slightly better at it.

@Yukon_Niner

Look, my intention is never to understate the negative experiences the indigenous people faced and still face to overcome. However, there are always cultural wars raging between the Liberals (Labour party and other smaller left leaning parties) and the Conservatives whom those days were energised by the politics of the Alt.right. Having said that, somethings are still the same and others are evolving. I don’t have time right now, but I will get into details with sources later on.

Linguistic diversity is a good thing and has no tangible influence on economic performance. That is Neoliberal claptrap. Personally, even though I'm a reer waqooyi, I would like to preserve Af-Maay. It also sounds more beautiful than Af-Maxaa.

@Yukon_Niner

I wrote an essay and somehow deleted by accident.

Four things to clarify here.

Absolutely, you are right that the American, Canadian or even New Zealander Indigenous people do enjoy economic sovereignty of land ownership than Australian Aborigines. Here, the Australian High Court ruled that the Australian Aborigines have Rights to their land after an Indigenous man named Eddie Mabo took the Australian government to the highest court of the land and successfully argued that his people the Torres Strait Islanders always farmed and owned their land. He was granted his wish and the genie was out of the bottle because this landmark decision became a major prior legal precedent. Aborigines all across the country claimed the Native Title of their lands and most were granted their lands. The conservative government rushed a bill through the parliament and they distinguished any economic Native Title Rights to their lands except for cultural Rights like hunting. The funny sad thing in all out of this was the government admitted the pre-ample of the Australian Constitution that stated this land (Australia) was Terri Annulus (no one lived here before white people settled) was wrong and thereby revoked by a statue of parliament. Children knew Aborigines lived here before the European settlement. The Indigenous people are still fighting on this issue.

Secondly, the Stolen Generation was another sad chapter on Australia's treatment of it's Indigenous people. It was a race based government policy where they took 'mixed blood' Aboriginal kids from their mothers and from their Aboriginal relatives and placed them in Institutions where these children were abused and treated inhumanely. There is a wonderful movie called 'Rabbit Proof Fence' which captures this saga. It is on YouTube. Here is a trailer.

Thirdly, Australia landscape politics changed in 2007 when a new prime minister (Labour) did what no other leader before him ever dared to do. In a speech in parliament live to millions of people gathered in city centres, parks, churches and etc. publicly apologised to the Stolen Generation. Starting from 5.33 (below video), I (as an 18 year) was one of the 500,000 people who gathered in the city centre (Melbourne) to hear that speech. I chuckled when few white people hugged me and apologised to me thinking that I was an Indigenous person. Beginning from 6.06 is the prime minister's apology speech.

Finally, As for preserving Indigenous Languages by the Federal and State governments, I would argue this was an honest commitment from both tiers of governments, although much of the lobbying was done by the Academia and UNESCO. I will take you straight to the Bills and legislations of both parliaments rather than to a secondary source.

First, the Federal Parliament of Australia.

House of Representatives Committees

Chapter 3 Indigenous languages policy

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...ttees?url=atsia/languages/report/chapter3.htm

The State of Queensland's parliament.

Preserving Aboriginal languages

https://www.qld.gov.au/atsi/cultura.../culture-arts/preserving-aboriginal-languages

Indigenous Languages Grants

The Queensland Government Indigenous Languages Grants Program supports a range of activities across the state that are dedicated to the preservation, research, and revitalisation of Indigenous languages in Queensland.

https://www.datsip.qld.gov.au/news-media/grants/indigenous-languages-grants

People here discuss history passionately, what is history good for when you only hear a lopsided version and not both sides? The Indigenous people should tell their own narratives exactly the way they heard on their native tongue from their ancestors and not a version said or written in someone else's language. Richard Burton's. That is why the Australian government (federal and States) are funding these programs of preserving Indigenous languages. One positive thing out of many negatives. Somalis should do it because we have different experiences and should celebrate not one but all of them..

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
@Yukon_Niner

I wrote an essay and somehow deleted by accident.

Four things to clarify here.

Absolutely, you are right that the American, Canadian or even New Zealander Indigenous people do enjoy economic sovereignty of land ownership than Australian Aborigines. Here, the Australian High Court ruled that the Australian Aborigines have Rights to their land after an Indigenous man named Eddie Mabo took the Australian government and successfully argued that his people the Torres Strait Islanders always farmed and owned their land. He was granted his wish and from that day on, the genie was out of the bottle because this landmark decision became a prior legal precedent. Aborigines all across claimed the Native Title of their lands and most were granted their lands. The conservative government rushed a bill through parliament and distinguished any economic Rights to their lands except cultural Rights like hunting. The funny sad thing in all out of this was the government admitted the pre-ample of the Australian Constitution that stated this land (Australia) was Terri Annulus (no one lived before white people settled) was wrong and thereby revoked by a statue of parliament. Children knew Aborigines lived here before the European settlement. They are still fighting.

Secondly, the Stolen Generation was another sad chapter on Australia's treatment of it's Indigenous people. It was a race based government policy where they took 'mixed blood' Aboriginal kids from their mothers and Aboriginal relatives and placed them in Institutions where these children were abused and treated inhumanely. There is a wonderful movie called 'Rabbit Proof Fence' which captures this saga. It is on YouTube. Here is a trailer.

Thirdly, Australia landscape politics changed in 2007 when a new prime minister (Labour) did what no other leader before him ever dared to do. In a speech in parliament live to millions of people gathered in city centres, parks, churches and etc. publicly apologised to the Stolen Generation. Staring from 5.33, I (as an 18 year) was one of the 500,000 people whom gathered in the city centre (Melbourne) to hear the speech. I chuckled when few white people hugged me and apologised to me thinking that I was an Indigenous person. Beginning from 6.06 is the prime minister's apology speech.

Finally, As for preserving Indigenous Languages by the Federal and State governments, I would argue this was an honest commitment from both tiers of governments, although much of the lobbying was done by the Academia and UNESCO. I will take you straight to the Bills and legislations of both parliaments rather than to a secondary source.

First, the Federal Parliament of Australia.

House of Representatives Committees

Chapter 3 Indigenous languages policy

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...ttees?url=atsia/languages/report/chapter3.htm

The State of Queensland's parliament.

Preserving Aboriginal languages

https://www.qld.gov.au/atsi/cultura.../culture-arts/preserving-aboriginal-languages

Indigenous Languages Grants

The Queensland Government Indigenous Languages Grants Program supports a range of activities across the state that are dedicated to the preservation, research, and revitalisation of Indigenous languages in Queensland.

https://www.datsip.qld.gov.au/news-media/grants/indigenous-languages-grants

People here discuss history passionately, what is history good for when you only hear a lopsided version and not both sides? The Indigenous people should tell their own narratives exactly the way they heard on their native tongue from their ancestors and not a version said or written in someone else's language. Richard Burton's. That is why the Australian government (federal and States) are funding these programs of preserving Indigenous languages. One positive thing out of many negatives. Somalis should do it because we have different experiences.
Honestly I'm just glad attitudes are changing there. The treatment of aborigines was one of the most disturbing parts of history I learnt. If my first post did come across as rather brash I'm sorry I've just had too many experiences with Australian's on the internet justifying it and then talking about the unfair privileged treatment the Aboriginals of Australia are getting all while ignoring that no amount of millions will ever fully revive their culture or bring back their sacred sites. I don't know much about the politics of Australia but if news sites and general attitudes on the internet are a perfect reflection then I guess there's very little hope considering the responses now are already lackluster.

According to Zuckermann’s most recent figures, only 13 of the 330 Aboriginal languages spoken when Australia was colonised remain “alive and kicking”, by which he means spoken by children.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2014/september/1409493600/anna-goldsworthy/voices-land

At this point their languages are endangered and if the government doesn't do something effective we're gonna see the exact same situation Hebrew was in if it even gets revived. Their culture and lifestyle is something that has had my interest since I was 7, I truly hope they're able to salvage it.

Honestly I'm just glad attitudes are changing there. The treatment of aborigines was one of the most disturbing parts of history I learnt. If my first post did come across as rather brash I'm sorry I've just had too many experiences with Australian's on the internet justifying it and then talking about the unfair privileged treatment the Aboriginals of Australia are getting all while ignoring that no amount of millions will ever fully revive their culture or bring back their sacred sites. I don't know much about the politics of Australia but if news sites and general attitudes on the internet are a perfect reflection then I guess there's very little hope considering the responses now are already lackluster.

According to Zuckermann’s most recent figures, only 13 of the 330 Aboriginal languages spoken when Australia was colonised remain “alive and kicking”, by which he means spoken by children.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2014/september/1409493600/anna-goldsworthy/voices-land

At this point their languages are endangered and if the government doesn't do something effective we're gonna see the exact same situation Hebrew was in if it even gets revived. Their culture and lifestyle is something that has had my interest since I was 7, I truly hope they're able to salvage it.

@Yukon_Niner

I'm a subscriber to the monthly and read that article and the problem lies that most of these languages are spoken by very few people and that is why they are recorded and encouraging their progeny learn and revive it. I was very active on Indigenous politics during my Uni days and I still visit an Aboriginal friend from Uni in Central Australia. Things aren't as bad, there are more Aborigines graduating from Universities, more representation in Federal and State Parliaments and soon, they will have an advisory panel that can veto decisions made for Indigenous people in the Federal Parliament. The minister for Indigenous Affairs is Indigenous (that is a first).

Those redneck Aussies you met are right, billions and billions of dollars were allocated for Indigenous affairs, but they are wrong because 99% of that money were spent on (white) bureaucracy and professionals both in Canberra and the State levels. They don't need money, let them utilise their land for economic gains. Full Land Rights.

Linguistic diversity = Economic inefficiency and social division (can lead to secessionist movements in the future).

Linguistic homogeneity = Efficiency and political stability.

Visionary. Majority should decide what is best for our ethnic group. Majority of somalis speak standard somali so it must remain the official language somalis speak in official capacity and to represent our country and people everywhere. All other dialects or languages should remain as they are - exclusive to particual somalis and without putting burden on them to give up their tribal language. They can speak and use it as they wish whether on media they run or in their enighbourhoods. Standard somali is our national language. As long as they don't seek official status for their tribal dialect, all are well.

I wouldn't accept a non-may somali to be forced to speak Af-maay. I have zero interest in learning it as well.

Trending

Latest posts