Linguistic diversity

Should minority languages be protected?

• Total voters

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@Samaalic Era

All languages are perfect and should be protected. What about Jiboutian.

Ninyaho Samaalic waxaan ka iri kan Timo Jaleec, qaado waxay iga tiri, @saredochani10 ayan kugu dacweyn, bal eeg.

That’s the Somali we would like to be the standard Somali. From reer waqooyi to mushungulli would understand it. Not this galti Mudug accent.

No reer Mudug says "waxan kaa iri", except perhaps in Xarardheere district.

People who believe Af maay is Somali because of “political reasons” or I can’t even understand” are Totally wrong and might be delusional. You may not understand it but that doesn’t mean it isn’t part of Somali.

An Arab may not understand another Arab speaking a different dialect but it’s still doesn’t change the fact that it’s Arabic. Classic Arabic is different from Modern standard Arabic but they both share the same language.

Af maay is just a Somali dialect spoken in Southwest Somalia by the rahanweyn, another Somali clan.
There is no doubt that it is a Somali language, I think they mean that it's a Somali language and not a Somali dialect. Af Maay and Maxaa are equally Somali.

But I also remember reading that Maay has become so influenced by Maxaa that it has become a lot more intelligible to Maxaa speakers then it used to be.

Like I personally can understand what is being spoken about generally in this and my Somali isn't that great.

Apollo

VIP
Linguistic diversity = Economic inefficiency and social division (can lead to secessionist movements in the future).

Linguistic homogeneity = Efficiency and political stability.

Linguistic diversity = Economic inefficiency and social division (can lead to secessionist movements in the future).

Linguistic homogeneity = Efficiency and political stability.

You suggesting we put some languages to the chopping block all for the sake of economic prosperity?
:cosbyhmm:

Apollo

VIP
You suggesting we put some languages to the chopping block all for the sake of economic prosperity?
:cosbyhmm:

Yes.

It's not like this is rare. It happened all the time in the past. French used to be restricted to the area around Paris but is now the main language of all of France.

Yes.

It's not like this is rare. It happened all the time in the past. French used to be restricted to the area around Paris but is now the main language of all of France.
That sounds like a Chinese thing to do and they haven't even done that.... yet.

By the way, my family speaks Af-Maay, it's a useless shit language that needs to die off. I can shit on it because of personal ties to it.
You're a ray of sunshine, aren't you? :gucciwhat:
Plus on the topic of linguistic diversity reduction didn't the Soviets try to get rid of non-Russian languages only for it backfire on them?

VixR

Veritas
Swahili is a written language. :gnzbryw:

About Somali part, just because Somalia waa hellhole does not mean my language die kkkk. Other exist (Djibouti, land, region of Aidstopia).:)

We live as well, a might die but we live on god willing. Except region because Oromo. ;)
Whether or not the Somali region in Ethiopia is at risk of being overrun by Oromo, which I’m not sure what the voracity of that claim even is, I don’t think any Somali territory can be kept to the task of keeping the language alive.

Somali is only one of the many languages spoken in their respective countries, and it isn’t close to the dominant one in either Kenya or Ethiopia.

That leaves Djibouti and Somalia. If we’re prudent, we can admit that at this time, Djibouti, which has a ton of national languages alongside Somali (at least its dominant there), is the only real hope so long as Somalia remains in its current predicament.

I wouldn’t even count us Diaspora Somalis, who will forget their Somali, and already are.

VixR

Veritas
There is no doubt that it is a Somali language, I think they mean that it's a Somali language and not a Somali dialect. Af Maay and Maxaa are equally Somali.

But I also remember reading that Maay has become so influenced by Maxaa that it has become a lot more intelligible to Maxaa speakers then it used to be.

Like I personally can understand what is being spoken about generally in this and my Somali isn't that great.

It’s like you can understand some nouns, but the supporting framework is different?

This is what I got:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

126 languages are spoken in Tanzania and it’s one of the most stable governments in Africa and economically, they do far better than countries with far fewer languages. It is more than a language why nations become failed states, look no further than us, Somalis.

Apollo

VIP
126 languages are spoken in Tanzania and it’s one of the most stable government in Africa. It is more than a language why nations become failed states, look no further than us, Somalis.

Tanzania is a shithole. There are not many examples of linguistically diverse first world countries except maybe Switzerland.

Even in Canada, it almost got split up in the 90s by a margin of 0.5% in a referendum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Quebec_referendum

Tanzania is a shithole. There are not many examples of linguistically diverse first world countries except maybe Switzerland.

Even in Canada, it almost got split up in the 90s by a margin of 0.5% in a referendum.

Switzerland is a good example of linguistic diversity being respected, however i believe that German is used as the lingua-franca between the different Swiss Ethnic groups & is taught as a second language in non-German Cantons.

Also the official status & legal requirement to learn French in order to hold public office has enabled French Canadians to dominate the political scene, since most are bi-lingual & English Canadians are too lazy to learn French.

Last edited:

@Apollo

There is no correlation between languages and economic and security success. Look at Yemen, Arabic is the only language spoken there, Tanzania is far better than Yemen in every field.

You're a ray of sunshine, aren't you? :gucciwhat:
Plus on the topic of linguistic diversity reduction didn't the Soviets try to get rid of non-Russian languages only for it backfire on them?
Ottoman Empire suffered a similar fate as they tried to Turkify their non-Turkish subjects & to embrace Ottoman Turkish identity.

Apollo

VIP
Switzerland is a good example of linguistic diversity being respected, however i believe that German is used as the lingua-franca between the different Swiss Ethnic groups & is taught as a second language in non-German Cantons.

The young generation of Swiss mostly use English to communicate with other Swiss people of a different linguistic community. Especially the French ones don't like to learn German.

@Apollo

There is no correlation between languages and economic and security success. Look at Yemen, Arabic is the only language spoken there, Tanzania is far better than Yemen in every field.

Why do you like to look at shitholes? Instead look at first world countries, the vast majority of them only have one major language. Even if they have major immigrant populations (like the US) government/business affairs are still conducted in just one.

PS. Swahili is more or less the national language of Tanzania. Practically everyone speaks it there and Tanzania only recognizes Swahili through its government.

The young generation of Swiss mostly use English to communicate with other Swiss people of a different linguistic community. Especially the French ones don't like to learn German.

Why do you like to look at shitholes? Instead look at first world countries, the vast majority of them only have one major language. Even if they have major immigrant populations (like the US) the government/business affairs are still conducted in just one.

PS. Swahili is more or less the national language of Tanzania. Almost everyone speaks it there.
Spain is first world with multiple languages.
:browtf:

VixR

Veritas
What about the US. We have no official language.

English is merely the de-facto language, and like most first world countries, we have people from all corners of the globe speaking their languages without threat. Beyond that, our population of Spanish speakers is actually catered to.

I don’t think you have to kill off the dialects and at-threat languages. I have to assume they learn the dominant language, just like everywhere else. Somali is the clear dominant language in a way most countries can only dream of, especially in Africa, so it just seems like hysteria and another example of being too willing to operate on extremes to fail to be satisfied with that.

Trending

Latest posts