Lets Talk Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Many on this forum have an iq lower than 40 expect your thread to die soon

Technically speaking if u can travel 1 kilometer in under 1 minute with a vehicle, it's established now that speed can be manipulated. The distance itself isn't going to change, like when u travel to your shop, it's always going to be a certain distance from where you are, but how you get there(speed) is changeable. This can also apply to the cosmos if it's applied to earth after all we are apart of the same cosmos!!! Now conditions maybe a factor to slow you down like a bad road can slow someone car from reaching a destination!!!! but a good road can also add to your speed since the conditions are good.

What are some of the cosmic conditions? Gravity will be one and any law in space. I consider a law anything that effects everything no1 escapes it and gravity is definitely one of those laws.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
So when I hear a star is like billions of years away, I am assuming they mean under the conditions we have now and the way we travel and the technology we have against the distance of that star. But technically speaking, we could pop up at that star the second we change our speed. So what is time still remains? If I reach that star in 2 seconds time hasn't really changed compared to reaching it billions of years later!!! So the time we seem to know is a mix of speed plus distance=when u arrive and if that is changeable then is there really even time becuz it's not fixed and can change with speed n distance?

So technically speaking, there could be 30 year old man on the most distant star and a 30 year old man on earth here at the same time. For us to reach one and another though is requires knowing how far we are from each other and what speed we are travelling at. Nothing else in my understanding

Thank u @BestCaseScenario. I am wondering about time though!!! another poster said light is a measure of time but not time itself. This makes sense because the sun-rays reach our earth whereas the rays of another star seems more distant. So is time a measure of distance? because if I take a car right now and go 1 kilometer in distance, I can reach there quicker then if I was walking yet everything around me is still the same nothing changed around me only the fact I went quicker!!! So the sun-rays if measured u could use that as base to see how long it takes to reach the earth and then move the sun further and further away from us to the most distant stars location untill you recognize the rays being emitted are the same and u can quickly work out what distance your looking at!!! But that sort of time is more about distance and I don't think this the true time at all but more of a measure of how far things are in distance only from us!!!

I hope I am looking at this correctly, any corrections would be appreciated and if someone can actually explain true time the actual ability to move, what gives that light the ability to even move across space that is nothing to do with the distance they are from earth!!! Now I know light bends and twists depending on cosmic conditions just like it bends and twists on earth depending on objects in it's path.

DrOsman, The poster will tell us what he meant by light being a measure of time. It is true that How fast/how long it takes the light of an object to reach earth depends on the object's distance. There will be a gap between seeing that light from earth's vantage point and when that light was released by the stars. Many of the stars you are looking at are dead long ago and don't really exist right now. What you see is not CURRENT. Only reason you see them now is because of how long their light took to travel and reach your eyes/earth. Interestingly, looking up at the sky is actually looking back in time or history. I think I mentioned this how this is the method by which they calculated how long the big bang happened, which was the creation of the Universe . They calculated how far the furthest stars are using their luminosity/brightness and the method of parallax . The past is up there in heaven and we are relatively new as human beings on earth. This jives in well with the Quranic story of Allah creating Adam after earths/heavens and everything else was already in existence long ago.

I am headed outside home right now, so I suggest you watch some videos about:

- Relationship between space and time
- Newtonian definition of Time
- Is time absolute or relative
- What is time?
- What is space?
- What is light?

Take notes and let us trade nuggets. I will do the same. It is very complex subject and my knowledge is very limited. I will share what I learned. Others with physics background can join also.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
DrOsman, The poster will tell us what he meant by light being a measure of time. It is true that How fast/how long it takes the light of an object to reach earth depends on the object's distance. There will be a gap between seeing that light from earth's vantage point and when that light was released by the stars. Many of the stars you are looking at are dead long ago and don't really exist right now. What you see is not CURRENT. Only reason you see them now is because of how long their light took to travel and reach your eyes/earth. Interestingly, looking up at the sky is actually looking back in time or history. I think I mentioned this how this is the method by which they calculated how long the big bang happened, which was the creation of the Universe . They calculated how far the furthest stars are using their luminosity/brightness and the method of parallax . The past is up there in heaven and we are relatively new as human beings on earth. This jives in well with the Quranic story of Allah creating Adam after earths/heavens and everything else was already in existence long ago.

I am headed outside home right now, so I suggest you watch some videos about:

- Relationship between space and time
- Newtonian definition of Time
- Is time absolute or relative
- What is time?
- What is space?
- What is light?

Take notes and let us trade nuggets. I will do the same. It is very complex subject and my knowledge is very limited. I will share what I learned. Others with physics background can join also.

I haven't watched any documentaries on it yet. I am trying to find a good one, if u have any suggestions please provide. A-lot of what I seen on youtube is speculation and not concrete!!! I have a question for you, if we are looking back in history through space using the stars, how do we determine that? is the last source of light or star in space the determination? can space still exist without light or stars? I honestly think space is independent of light, wat if the last light we see isn't the last one and appears to be? becuz space itself could continue beyond with no light and who knows after a long distance there might be more lights and stars!!!

What we could be seeing is intervals of space like swimming lanes in a pool, u might see one lane doesnt mean those other lanes aren't there. Hence why it's important to settle the matter of space and time itself and i dont mean the time of distance n speed but the time where space is actually expanding and moving.

A good experiment would be to see if the laws of physics still apply to even places where there is no matter like planet, stars, etc. Just a piece of dark space with nothing. If there is still the same laws present, then we know what we see isn't the full story of the universe and there is invisible things at play. If we can conclude there is no physical laws present there in those areas of dark space it can then help explain why it's dark place with no matter as the conditions aren't there for matter to arise!!! Kinda of like why a desert is a desert, there is no rain, the conditions for fertile land is simply not possible due to the conditions that piece of land is enduring. Could the space be a similar story? where there is patches of the right cosmic conditions and other areas don't have it and it's therefore dark!!!

I hope some of the brothers who studied physics, would come in. I never studied it, I just started to gain some interest in it the past few days. I must say though, I am not at all interested in the numbers and equations so save me that!!! unless it's simple like energy = mass

Last edited:
I haven't watched any documentaries on it yet. I am trying to find a good one, if u have any suggestions please provide. A-lot of what I seen on youtube is speculation and not concrete!!! I have a question for you, if we are looking back in history through space using the stars, how do we determine that? is the last source of light or star in space the determination? can space still exist without light or stars? I honestly think space is independent of light, wat if the last light we see isn't the last one and appears to be? becuz space itself could continue beyond with no light and who knows after a long distance there might be more lights and stars!!!

What we could be seeing is intervals of space like swimming lanes in a pool, u might see one lane doesnt mean those other lanes aren't there. Hence why it's important to settle the matter of space and time itself and i dont mean the time of distance n speed but the time where space is actually expanding and moving.

A good experiment would be to see if the laws of physics still apply to even places where there is no matter like planet, stars, etc. Just a piece of dark space with nothing. If there is still the same laws present, then we know what we see isn't the full story of the universe and there is invisible things at play. If we can conclude there is no physical laws present there in those areas of dark space it can then help explain why it's dark place with no matter as the conditions aren't there for matter to arise!!! Kinda of like why a desert is a desert, there is no rain, the conditions for fertile land is simply not possible due to the conditions that piece of land is enduring. Could the space be a similar story? where there is patches of the right cosmic conditions and other areas don't have it and it's therefore dark!!!

I hope some of the brothers who studied physics, would come in. I never studied it, I just started to gain some interest in it the past few days. I must say though, I am not at all interested in the numbers and equations so save me that!!! unless it's simple like energy = mass

A popular book that is written for a beginner is called "Brief Time in History". It is perfect start for you and it hardly has any math in it.

I bought the Original and the updated version long ago. I don't know where they are in the house or at work. If you like to read a PDF file version, I have a link below:

http://www.fisica.net/relatividade/stephen_hawking_a_brief_history_of_time.pdf

If you commute to work and take public transit, it is perfect preoccupation during your work trips. If you decide to read it, come back and we can discuss its chapters. two three weeks.

Or before that if you finish earlier than that time frame.

There are tons of YouTube videos that show how the speed of light is measured in a college lab. Nothing fancy but simple instruments are used. Light comes in tiny packets called photons. When you turn the light bulb on, streams of balls(photons) travelling at the speed of light(300, 000, 000m/s) come out . That is why you don't notice a time lag between when you turned the light switch on in a dark room and when the room went bright. What is making the darkness go away and be replaced with brightness/ifitiin, are these radiated photons, energized balls you can't see that number into the gazillions and your eyes detect them as visible light.

Here is a very short video that shows you how speed of light is measured in a lab.

Knowledge is a blessing. Curiosity in nature is beautiful. It is humbling. Allah is Great indeed. One comes to appreciate what Allahu Akbar means when they acquire knowledge of something amazing in nature. Their faith in the creator increases.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Well I know understand how planets bend space, but I still argue that space outside of that planet is not bended. The shape of the earth being round is obviously going to bend the shape of the space around it to be round. The bigger the planet obviously the bigger the bend of space and the smaller the planet the smaller the bend will be.

I see it like this now, you got all this black space going every direction and then you put a ball in there, obviously the space around that ball will curve around it. But that curvature is due to earth shape and it's impact is on earth not the surrounding space at all. The other thing I am confused about it is regardless how heavy earth is, it shouldn't cause a dip on space like this, because space is weightless so no matter how much earth weighed it shouldn't cause dips like that.

http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/files/2014/02/162571main_GPB_circling_earth3_516.jpg

Well I know understand how planets bend space, but I still argue that space outside of that planet is not bended. The shape of the earth being round is obviously going to bend the shape of the space around it to be round. The bigger the planet obviously the bigger the bend of space and the smaller the planet the smaller the bend will be.

I see it like this now, you got all this black space going every direction and then you put a ball in there, obviously the space around that ball will curve around it. But that curvature is due to earth shape and it's impact is on earth not the surrounding space at all. The other thing I am confused about it is regardless how heavy earth is, it shouldn't cause a dip on space like this, because space is weightless so no matter how much earth weighed it shouldn't cause dips like that.

http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/files/2014/02/162571main_GPB_circling_earth3_516.jpg
Space here is a mathematical construct which we use to explain phenomena. For example throwing a ball falling is said it be falling through space to explain what is occurring.spafe is defined to be a flat plane which is charectarised by physical laws. For example space bends in the presence of gravity , warps to keep the law of a constant speed of light and etc.

Space doesn’t have mass as it isn’t characterised as an object in our universe rather a plane, for example think fondly it like a canvas. You draw pictures on the canvas and then you keep the picture and throw away the canvas. You can still assume there is a canvas there and thus explain all the phenomena by assuming the canvas exists.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Space here is a mathematical construct which we use to explain phenomena. For example throwing a ball falling is said it be falling through space to explain what is occurring.spafe is defined to be a flat plane which is charectarised by physical laws. For example space bends in the presence of gravity , warps to keep the law of a constant speed of light and etc.

Space doesn’t have mass as it isn’t characterised as an object in our universe rather a plane, for example think fondly it like a canvas. You draw pictures on the canvas and then you keep the picture and throw away the canvas. You can still assume there is a canvas there and thus explain all the phenomena by assuming the canvas exists.

Space is real bro, it's not a mathematical equation. How it operates may-be or came to be might be. But space is clearly visible and observable at night. And obviously I don't look as it as an object either. Anyways I am reading up on hawkings first few chapters and might clear up my misunderstandings but if I can't reason it to myself, I won't accept it!!!

Space is real bro, it's not a mathematical equation. How it operates may-be or came to be might be. But space is clearly visible and observable at night. And obviously I don't look as it as an object either. Anyways I am reading up on hawkings first few chapters and might clear up my misunderstandings but if I can't reason it to myself, I won't accept it!!!
Space is a construct , it being “ real” doesn’t mean it’s affected by mass etc.

DrOsman, Space(in Astronomy) is defined as an area outside Earth's atmosphere and it starts from what they call the Karman line 100km Above sea level. As Canjeero alluded to, space is a construct, a concept people agreed upon with sets of defined boundaries and characteristics. It has objects floating in it, its environment is different from eath's. It is filled with radiation and celestial bodies. That is what space refers to. Earth is part of Space from a different vantage point. If someone was looking towards earth from mars or Jupiter, they would view earth as part of space. A planet with life and good environment.

There is one picture - an artist's render that captures what Space is according to Astronomy:

1280px-CMB_Timeline300_no_WMAP.jpg

From explosion to expansion, left to right, this picture captures space and everything in it based on Astronomy. Earth is somewhere there insignificant in size.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Ok I've read some of hawking stuff. Not all yet but briefly. Listen the time they are talking about is not what I was referring to at all. They talking about time in the sense of light. They are saying nothing can go faster then light, I can understand that. If I turn on my car light on a road, it has already covered a certain distance before I even moved. I don't dispute for one second nothing will travel faster then that, I see that and I can measure that also how long it takes a car light to cover that distance with a stop watch and then stop watch myself and there is a huge difference. That is measuring time!!! That however doesn't explain why that car light and I are even moving in the first place!!! If someone can explain why I am moving and anything around me is moving, that would be appreciated!!! I am not discussing who can move faster or slower!!!

The issue of gravity disturbs me also. I am not sure if I understood it and I stand corrected if I did misunderstand it. But according to how I understood gravity, the bigger the mass the greater the pull it has on other mass. So technically speaking the sun being so much bigger then earth, it attracts the earth through it's sheer mass. I am assuming that sheer mass bends space, the earth then rotates around that 'bended' space. This can explain why planets orbit each other in the way they do, it's cause of that bended space!!! It will be interesting to see how this works. I would like to see some sort of experiment where the light of the sun reaching earth shows a bend or some sort of dip as it travels from the sun to earth. This will show there isn't a straight path and it goes for a bit of ride before it reaches us. This will definitely convince me that if light can be effected by it, then obviously planets are also. So any experiments available would be useful to clear this up for me.!!!!

On the moon, it was demonstrated they dropped a hammer and a feather, two different weight, yet they reached the ground the same time. Now I like this, I can see it and measure it. There is no debating it reached the ground the same time. So it needs an explanation. Now I do believe that regardless of the size of the planet it will travel in space at the same rate becuz the feather and and hammer reach the ground the same time. So if I was in space I would travel at the same rate as anything in space regardless. Now an experiment to prove this would be good. For example those satellites in space and how fast it's travelling in any given time period compared to a planet would be a good experiment.

Now I am more leaning towards that gravity is really just space with dips and bends and it has nothing actually to do with mass unless I see an experiment where the dips and bends are lesser and greater depending on the mass surrounding it. I would assume Earth will exist just fine in space without a moon or sun and it would continue to float on even though there would be no life. Because honestly the first star had nothing attracting it and it managed to continue moving!!! So it seems gravity is more a property of space then it really is a result of mass.

I may be confused though and stand corrected!!!

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
DrOsman, Space(in Astronomy) is defined as an area outside Earth's atmosphere and it starts from what they call the Karman line 100km Above sea level. As Canjeero alluded to, space is a construct, a concept people agreed upon with sets of defined boundaries and characteristics. It has objects floating in it, its environment is different from eath's. It is filled with radiation and celestial bodies. That is what space refers to. Earth is part of Space from a different vantage point. If someone was looking towards earth from mars or Jupiter, they would view earth as part of space. A planet with life and good environment.

There is one picture - an artist's render that captures what Space is according to Astronomy:

1280px-CMB_Timeline300_no_WMAP.jpg

From explosion to expansion, left to right, this picture captures space and everything in it based on Astronomy. Earth is somewhere there insignificant in size.

I think it was a steady expansion more then an explosion. If you blow a balloon to hard it will fall in on itself, but a steady blowing it can grow. That's if the big bang is true!!! I have my suspicions!!! I don't disagree anything 'big' usually has small origins though. Logically that is true, but the universe isn't logical in it's design!!!

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I hope Somalia one day actually starts heading towards this field. It's not an extremely complicating area, it's simply just looking up at the sky and explaining it with tests. We know when we look up in the sky there is space which is black, there is planets, there is stars, light. We see movement as stars and planets move. We see stars die. Then you also look reverse on those things and explain what is causing it to do what it's doing which maybe visible or invisible which needs 'creativity' this part and once you have that you just prove it with a test. I think Somalia should start heading towards this field in the future rather then just all studying medicine constantly!!!

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
But gravity is funny thing, regardless how much something weighs, it will always be restricted to a constant speed. So you could take a feather into space and the biggest object on earth and it float at the same rate but the second it doesn't have 'weight' like light it goes so much faster. This is so illogical, you would think the bigger or smaller something is there would be a difference in how fast they go but that's not true cause we saw the test in the moon of a feather and hammer!!!

Something could weigh 0.111111 of a kilo and it's subject to the laws of gravity!!! but the second it doesnt weigh anything like light, it can zoom past like there is no time like when u turn on your car light and it's already covered a great distance before u even moved!!!

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
But gravity is funny thing, regardless how much something weighs, it will always be restricted to a constant speed. So you could take a feather into space and the biggest object on earth and it float at the same rate but the second it doesn't have 'weight' like light it goes so much faster. This is so illogical, you would think the bigger or smaller something is there would be a difference in how fast they go but that's not true cause we saw the test in the moon of a feather and hammer!!!

Something could weigh 0.111111 of a kilo and it's subject to the laws of gravity!!! but the second it doesnt weigh anything like light, it can zoom past like there is no time like when u turn on your car light and it's already covered a great distance before u even moved!!!

I read somewhere that only black holes can actually stop light and it sucks it in. So black holes apparently are from dead stars, all that energy in the sun basically de-converts into a hole. So technically speaking if the sun disappeared today, earth would continue around the outer side of that black hole but as soon as it gets stronger, it will suck it in. But I can't see that happening because the sun left a bend in space(gravity) and earth should orbit that bend as it normally as. Unless of course it is proven that gravity disappears the second mass disappears which I don't think is the case, but i'll need to read into it.

So imagine everyday waking up and in the suns place what we would see is this circular radiation I would assume. Imagine looking up at the sky where the sun used to be and its just a huge hole. It should be like that for a long time I would assume without it even sucking us in cause gravity should keep us station in our orbit!!!

I think it was a steady expansion more then an explosion. If you blow a balloon to hard it will fall in on itself, but a steady blowing it can grow. That's if the big bang is true!!! I have my suspicions!!! I don't disagree anything 'big' usually has small origins though. Logically that is true, but the universe isn't logical in it's design!!!

Yes, an explosion then a steady expansion. The Big bang theory was derived from the realization in labs that the Universe is expanding at a fast rate. People working in Observatory labs noted changing positions of galaxies in linear fashion. Edwin Hubble, an American astronomer made the discovery in California Observatory after he measured the red shifting of many galaxies. With the realization and verification of an expanding universe, came the idea of the universe having been small in its beginning. It became a race of finding out how small it was before it expanded. Hence, the single point origin of the Universe, Big Bang being its birth.

In the Quran(though I am not using it here as a science book), made an indirect reference to the one point origin of earth and heavens, and to the expansion.

"The heaven, We have built it with power. Verily. We are expanding it." And "Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Yes, an explosion then a steady expansion. The Big bang theory was derived from the realization in labs that the Universe is expanding at a fast rate. People working in Observatory labs noted changing positions of galaxies in linear fashion. Edwin Hubble, an American astronomer made the discovery in California Observatory after he measured the red shifting of many galaxies. With the realization and verification of an expanding universe, came the idea of the universe having been small in its beginning. It became a race of finding out how small it was before it expanded. Hence, the single point origin of the Universe, Big Bang being its birth.

In the Quran(though I am not using it here as a science book), made an indirect reference to the one point origin of earth and heavens, and to the expansion.

"The heaven, We have built it with power. Verily. We are expanding it." And "Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?"

Quran isn't a science book or it would tell us how to test it's claim the world was expanding rather then just saying it was expanding!!! That's the key difference between science, it says here is the claim now go test it or it does a test and says Ok I will have to explain that result!!! It's two different methods and shouldn't be even discussed in the same light!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending