Jarahoroto (ancient) town in Awdal named after King and Queen of the Harla people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grant gurey (you need a Somali name ) ,
Please elaborate on the DNa comment and what it has proved .

What do you think of "Beendiid"?

I am not sure of the reference. Do you mean:

"As far as it can be reconstructed by our historical field enquiries, the Harla most
probably represented an Islamized population of mixted Harari/Somali stock
which partly survived in the ethnic body of the Galla conquerors - a fact which can"

If this is the reference, then the author is confused and probably talking about a late period.. The Harari, together with some other smaller groups, are what was left of the Harla after the Adal wars and the Oromo invasion. There probably were some Samaale additions. But the Harla themselves were Ethio-Semitic and descend from an independent kingdom with it's own language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harari_people

"The Harla people are considered, the precursor to the Harari people.[2] Upon the arrival of Arab cleric Abadir in the 10th century, he was met by the Harla, Gaturi and Argobba tribes.[3] By the thirteenth century, Hararis were one of the administrators of the Ifat Sultanate.[4] In the fourteenth century raids on Harar town of Get (Gey) by Abyssinian Emperor Amda Seyon I, Hararis are referred to as Harla Arabs.[5] In the sixteenth century, walls built around the city of Harar during the reign of Emir Nur, helped preserve Harari identity from being assimilated by the Oromo.[6] According to Ulrich Braukämper, Harla-Harari semitic group were most likely active in the region prior to the Adal Sultanate's Islamic invasion of Ethiopia. During the Abyssinian-Adal war, some Harari militia settled in Gurage territory forming the Silt'e ethnic group.[7] Hararis were furious when Muhammad Jasa decided to move the Adal Sultanate's capital from Harar to Aussa in 1577. In less than a year after its relocation Adal would collapse.[8]"

As you can see from the balance of Garad's argument, he and other Somalis like to incorporate Harla and Himyarite history into their own.

I found this in reading over the thread:

"The DNA studies have put the nail in the coffin of the North-to-South migration claim."

If this is the reference:

The studies have shown no general ethnic connection to Arabia and a high rate of connection to the Berber E1b1b. This connects through the Nile valley migration route and Namoratunga in Kenya to the Kushitic homeland surrounding Napata and Meroe in the Sudan.

Prince of Hobyo is the one with the best grasp of the DNA results. See his post: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/the-purest-khoisan-are-9-cushitic-new-study.26246/page-2

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Yo Octogenarian, why are you hell bent on contrarianism? How do an old fart such as yourself conclude Harla people were Ethio-Semitic, and do not quote me your false sources? No one is sure what they were but look at their location, not the highlands, where Habashi/Yemini miscegenation brought forth Semitic language to the Horn at a relatively later stage, but were closer to their Cushitic brethrens who lived in the said region for thousands of years before.

Indeed, Harla people were pre-Islamic (so were Somalis) but that in and of itself does not prove they were Semitic. Your premise and extrapolation begs for an answer.

As for the Adal Wars, your quote, "some Samale" is dismissive of an entire Somali population that existed in the area, and were the bulk of the force that conquered the Abyssinian highlands and brought a new culinary dish to their diet -- kitfo.

Somalis do not incorporate others history as their own. You as a group are the masters of cultural appropriation throughout history!

Yo Octogenarian, why are you hell bent on contrarianism? How do an old fart such as yourself conclude Harla people were Ethio-Semitic, and do not quote me your false sources? No one is sure what they were but look at their location, not the highlands, where Habashi/Yemini miscegenation brought forth Semitic language to the Horn at a relatively later stage, but were closer to their Cushitic brethrens who lived in the said region for thousands of years before.

Indeed, Harla people were pre-Islamic (so were Somalis) but that in and of itself does not prove they were Semitic. Your premise and extrapolation begs for an answer.

As for the Adal Wars, your quote, "some Samale" is dismissive of an entire Somali population that existed in the area, and were the bulk of the force that conquered the Abyssinian highlands and brought a new culinary dish to their diet -- kitfo.

Somalis do not incorporate others history as their own. You as a group are the masters of cultural appropriation throughout history!

My sources disagree, but I would be pleased to see any material you have to offer.

As far as I am aware, no DNA work has been published for the Yibir. When the topic came up on Somnet, the real Gurey noted that Somalis are 77% E1b1b1, as are 25% of Jews. Links to ancient Israel have been found for the Ethiopian Beta Israel and other African groups:

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...-jewish-roots-of-beta-israel-ethiopian-jewry/

The Yibir are included among African Jewry:

https://www.geni.com/projects/African-Jewry-A-Microcosm-of-the-Jewish-Diaspora/12510

The assumption has been that they would have come from Ethiopia:

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...ews-in-somalia-tracing-remnants-of-the-yibir/

Note that "the coffin" only referred to the north to south direction of migration for the Samaale clans. It is abundantly clear the presence of the Yibir preceded those migrations and the formation of the clans. See Sada Mire and the excavations at Aw Barkhadle.

Last edited:
^^No evidence for Yibir Jewry or their DNA being different from that of other Somalis .also, most Jews belong to different haplogroups than cushites . You really are clutching at straws .

^^No evidence for Yibir Jewry or their DNA being different from that of other Somalis .also, most Jews belong to different haplogroups than cushites . You really are clutching at straws .

It would be interesting to know where that quote mark came from because I don't think you found it in the literature. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence where the necessary tests have not been performed.

You didn't get the part about 77% of Somalis and 25% of Jews being E1b1b? There's no T or J in Samaales? Moses' wife wasn't "dark" and Joseph didn't marry an Egyptian? Come on, Chicken Soup, there's more to this than just E and J.

Also, again, this has nothing to do with the north to south migration claim. It's the archaeology, not the DNA, that places the Yibir in the North prior to the formation of the Samaale clans. There are straws, but it is you grabbing them.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Then what are the 30-35% of Somalis who are haplogroup T such as myself if we are not Samaales? We got to the actual Somali peninsula before E-V32 cut the umbilical cord from Oromos.

Then what are the 30-35% of Somalis who are haplogroup T such as myself if we are not Samaales? We got to the actual Somali peninsula before E-V32 cut the umbilical cord from Oromos.

T is supposed to originate in the Zagros mountains of Iran. Descendants in Somalia would be Somalis, but not Samaales.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/topic/the-founders-of-moqdishu-the-persian-bazrangids/

"Colonies of Iranian peoples settled extensively on the East African coast and established commercial settlements on the islands during pre-Islamic times.[2] Due to the dominance the Bazrangids had over East Africa, the area they settled became known as Bazrangibar, which means “Bazrangi coast”. The name was eventually shortened to Zangibar and was slightly altered etymologically to produce the word “Zanzibar”. The African slaves that were marketed from Bazrangibar were known as zangi or zingi, which means “a native from Zangibar”. Today, both words are seen as pejoratives for black Africans who speak Middle Eastern languages.

In East Africa, the Bazrangids founded many colonial cities in the Zanzibar archipelago, as well as on the mainland. The cities of Zangibar and Manda were soon rivaled and surpassed by cities like Mombasa, Malindi, Brava, Mogadishu, Kisimayu, and the Bazrangi colonial capital of Kilwa Kisiwani. The capital city was located south of modern-day Dar es Salaam. The Kilwa Empire stretched from the Horn of Africa to Mozambique and included settlements from Madagascar, the Comoros, the Seychelles, and the Zanzibar archipelago."

https://sonsofsunnah.com/2015/01/03/historical-ties-between-persia-and-somalia/

I'd like to see documentation for 30% T. If Somalis in general are 77-85% E1b1b, that doesn't seem to allow room.

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Grant, the only worthwhile response to your post is the last sentence. 30% of ethnic male Somalis comprise of haplogroup T. This is just a conjuncture due to dearth of any statistical data of Somalis in general. Small samples by few academicians notwithstanding, it could very well be more if actual, unbiased data was collected from Soomali-Galbeed.

What's Persians, Mogadishu, Zanzibar etc., have to do with haplogroup T. All these things you mentioned happened in the last 500 to 800 years ago, perhaps -- a blink of the eye in genetic terms. No zenji in my neck of the woods, don't mistake us for Jubba or Jamame residents.

Last edited:
Grant, the only worthwhile response to your post is the last sentence. 30% of ethnic male Somalis comprise of haplogroup T. This is just a conjuncture due to dearth of any statistical data of Somalis in general. Small samples by few academicians notwithstanding, it could very well be more if actual, unbiased data was collected from Soomali-Galbeed.

What's Persians, Mogadishu, Zanzibar etc., have to do with haplogroup T. All these things you mentioned happened in the last 500 to 800 years ago, perhaps -- a blink of the eye in genetic terms. No zenji in my neck of the woods, don't mistake us for Jubba or Jamame residents.

The links are self-explanatory. The Persian Bazrangids settled the East African coast from the Horn to Zanzibar, Zanzibar being named for them. They morphed into Himyar and the Zanzibari Sultanate and long had control of the Red Sea trade. The Samaale clans themselves are only about 800 years old. The Rendille, a close Samaale relative, have no T. The Hawiyya have less than 1%. The Isaaq are also low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_T_(mtDNA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_T-M184

"T1 is the most common descent of T-M184 haplogroup, being the lineage of more than 95% of all Eurasian T-M184 members. One of their descent lineages is found in high frequencies among northern Somali Clans. However, it appears to have originated somewhere around the northern Mediterranean Basin, perhaps somewhere between Greece to the Zagros mountains.

The basal subclade, T1* appears to have expanded, probably from northeastern Anatolia, into the Levant at least, with the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B culture (PPNB). Although it is rare in modern populations, T1* has been found in a Berber individual from Tunisia, a male in Syria, and one sequence among ethnic Macedonians in Macedonia.[2][20][21]"

Africa
Population Language Location Members/Sample size Percentage Source
Notes

Somalis (Dir clan) Somali (East Cushitic) Djibouti 24/24 100% [17] Dir Somali clan members in Djibouti. Also, T1a-M70 has been found in only 1 sample belonging to a member of the Hawiye clan (1/1), and in 0/9 (0%) samples belonging to the Isaaq clan.
Somalis (Dire Dawa) Somali (East Cushitic) Dire Dawa 14/17 82.4% [16] Dire Dawa Somalis.

Honestly, I am blown away. The Dir are not E1b1b and your assertion as to numbers may very well be correct. This puts a monkey wrench in the ethnic totals for Somalia, big time. It also points to more in-migration from the north, i.e. non-Samaale.

Yes, Maraq, that is what the data indicates. From somewhere between Greece and Iran, and 100% is pretty darn indicative. The Dir are not Cushites. Now I think we are all going to have to cogitate on that a bit.

The links are self-explanatory. The Persian Bazrangids settled the East African coast from the Horn to Zanzibar, Zanzibar being named for them. They morphed into Himyar and the Zanzibari Sultanate and long had control of the Red Sea trade. The Samaale clans themselves are only about 800 years old. The Rendille, a close Samaale relative, have no T. The Hawiyya have less than 1%. The Isaaq are also low.

"T1 is the most common descent of T-M184 haplogroup, being the lineage of more than 95% of all Eurasian T-M184 members. One of their descent lineages is found in high frequencies among northern Somali Clans. However, it appears to have originated somewhere around the northern Mediterranean Basin, perhaps somewhere between Greece to the Zagros mountains.

The basal subclade, T1* appears to have expanded, probably from northeastern Anatolia, into the Levant at least, with the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B culture (PPNB). Although it is rare in modern populations, T1* has been found in a Berber individual from Tunisia, a male in Syria, and one sequence among ethnic Macedonians in Macedonia.[2][20][21]"

Africa
Notes

Somalis (Dir clan) Somali (East Cushitic) Djibouti 24/24 100% [17] Dir Somali clan members in Djibouti. Also, T1a-M70 has been found in only 1 sample belonging to a member of the Hawiye clan (1/1), and in 0/9 (0%) samples belonging to the Isaaq clan.
Somalis (Dire Dawa) Somali (East Cushitic) Dire Dawa 14/17 82.4% [16] Dire Dawa Somalis.

Honestly, I am blown away. The Dir are not E1b1b and your assertion as to numbers may very well be correct. This puts a monkey wrench in the ethnic totals for Somalia, big time. It also points to more in-migration from the north, i.e. non-Samaale.

Yes, Maraq, that is what the data indicates. From somewhere between Greece and Iran, and 100% is pretty darn indicative. The Dir are not Cushites. Now I think we are all going to have to cogitate on that a bit.

Can you explain the highlighted bit above? Also, I thought that the Dir were the 'original' Somalis.

Can you explain the highlighted bit above? Also, I thought that the Dir were the 'original' Somalis.

I thought so too, which is why I am so blown away. E1b1b has seemed like the answer to all questions. This puts a whole new perspective on many issues and raises questions for which I have no answers. T is normally a very small part of a larger population. 82-100% is nothing short of startling, and has to represent a major migration.

IMG_7728.jpg

Africa
Notes

Grant

You are quite to quick to make sweeping statements about Somali y-dna when the scientific evidence is limited to say the least.

For example, you keep throwing around the idea that Somalis are 77% E-V32 carriers when it has not been scientifically established. One of the earliest studies (Sanchez et al) on Somali y-dna which is often quoted by individuals such as yourself to support their erroneous claim did not use a representatiave sample:

The very high frequency of the E3b1 cluster
glyph.gif
in our Somali population sample could be due to ascertainment bias or special clan or family relationships in the present sample of Somali immigrants to Denmark. No reliable information on geographic origin or clan relationship in the present Somali population sample was available.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v13/n7/full/5201390a.html

No study has also been conducted into Dir subclans that reside in Somalia proper, NFD and the Southern regions of K5 so it is too soon to assume that haplogroup T is the definitive marker of the Dir clan. The evidence from private test results and the Djiboutian/Dire Dawa studies suggest that HG-T might be the dominant Dir ancestral haplogroup but wihout further research, you are clutching at straws. Furthermore, how representative of the Ciise and the Samaroon subclans are the Djiboutian Dir samples?

The same goes for other Somali clans. You state that Hawiye and other Samaales are predominately E-V32 when there is no academic study that backs up your statement. Only one academic study the tested Tuuf Garres from Marsabit County can be referenced to support an argument that some Samaales are E-V32. Private test results on 23andme partially corroborate your argument as several Habargidirs, Abgaals and a Gaaljecel Samaale are E-V32. However, no study has been conducted among Somaliland Isaaqs and your claim that they are predominately E-V32 has no supporting academic evidence. Only 9 individuals were tested and the Isaaqs that have a historical presence in Djibouti are the Habar Awal Sacad Muuse. They are predominately E-V32 based on private test results. In contrast, more than ten Garxajis clan members that have been tested privately on 23andme and FTDNA are haplogroup T. Both sets of private test results and the study you have referenced are not conclusive because they are not necessarily representative of the subclans of the above clans.

You also seem to ignore the fact that E-V32 has been stimated to be around 7000 years old. We do not know how closely the different E-V32 Somalis are paternally related until y-full tests are conducted but they are too expensive for academic researchers to conduct them on a widescale. Only then will we be able to consider confirming or rejecting your theory that non T haplogroup Somalis split from Oromos in Southern Ethiopia. Some might be related to Northern Beja, Tigre E-V32 carriers whilst others might be related to Southern Ethiopian Oromo, Sidamo E-V32. Lord Only Knows Mr Grant.

In regard to Samaale, have you ever considered it is a confederacy united by a common Xeer system and not a genetically uniform ethnic group? Dir have a historical presence in Northern Somalia and they are by Somali tradition considered to be the prototype Samaale/Somalis. If as it seems that they are unique in being predominately haplogroup T, it still does not support of dismiss your South to North migration theory because it has not yet been etsbalished whether the Haplogroup T subclade that they belong to is Middle Eastern or African in origin. Even if it turns out to be Middle Eastern in origin, we are not talking about a recent migratory event such as the Arab/Iranian Haplogroup T presence in coastal Southern Somalia.

Last edited:
Grant

You are quite to quick to make sweeping statements about Somali y-dna when the scientific evidence is limited to say the least.

For example, you keep throwing around the idea that Somalis are 77% E-V32 carriers when it has not been scientifically established. One of the earliest studies (Sanchez et al) on Somali y-dna which is often quoted by individuals such as yourself to support their erroneous claim did not use a representatiave sample:

The very high frequency of the E3b1 cluster
glyph.gif
in our Somali population sample could be due to ascertainment bias or special clan or family relationships in the present sample of Somali immigrants to Denmark. No reliable information on geographic origin or clan relationship in the present Somali population sample was available.

http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v13/n7/full/5201390a.html

No study has also been conducted into Dir subclans that reside in Somalia proper, NFD and the Southern regions of K5 so it is too soon to assume that haplogroup T is the definitive marker of the Dir clan. The evidence from private test results and the Djiboutian/Dire Dawa studies suggest that HG-T might be the dominant Dir ancestral haplogroup but wihout further research, you are clutching at straws. Furthermore, how representative of the Ciise and the Samaroon subclans are the Djiboutian Dir samples?

The same goes for other Somali clans. You state that Hawiye and other Samaales are predominately E-V32 when there is no academic study that backs up your statement. Only one academic study the tested Tuuf Garres from Marsabit County can be referenced to support an argument that some Samaales are E-V32. Private test results on 23andme partially corroborate your argument as several Habargidirs, Abgaals and a Gaaljecel Samaale are E-V32. However, no study has been conducted among Somaliland Isaaqs and your claim that they are predominately E-V32 has no supporting academic evidence. Only 9 individuals were tested and the Isaaqs that have a historical presence in Djibouti are the Habar Awal Sacad Muuse. They are predominately E-V32 based on private test results. In contrast, more than ten Garxajis clan members that have been tested privately on 23andme and FTDNA are haplogroup T. Both sets of private test results and the study you have referenced are not conclusive because they are not necessarily representative of the subclans of the above clans.

You also seem to ignore the fact that E-V32 has been stimated to be around 7000 years old. We do not know how closely the different E-V32 Somalis are paternally related until y-full tests are conducted but they are too expensive for academic researchers to conduct them on a widescale. Only then will we be able to consider confirming or rejecting your theory that non T haplogroup Somalis split from Oromos in Southern Ethiopia. Some might be related to Northern Beja, Tigre E-V32 carriers whilst others might be related to Southern Ethiopian Oromo, Sidamo E-V32. Lord Only Knows Mr Grant.

In regard to Samaale, have you ever considered it is a confederacy united by a common Xeer system and not a genetically uniform ethnic group? Dir have a historical presence in Northern Somalia and they are by Somali tradition considered to be the prototype Samaale/Somalis. If as it seems that they are unique in being predominately haplogroup T, it still does not support of dismiss your South to North migration theory because it has not yet been etsbalished whether the Haplogroup T subclade that they belong to is Middle Eastern or African in origin. Even if it turns out to be Middle Eastern in origin, we are not talking about a recent migratory event such as the Arab/Iranian Haplogroup T presence in coastal Southern Somalia.

Anonimo,

I don't think I said much about V-32. We are agreed that studies out of context have little value. This study includes but does not rely on the Denmark bit that you quoted:

Notes
Dir (clan) Issa/Gadabuursi Somali (East Cushitic) Djibouti 24/24 100% [17] The main sub-clans of the Dir (clan) in Djibouti are the Issa and Gadabuursi. Also, T1a-M70 has been found in only 1 sample belonging to a member of the Hawiye clan (1/1) and in 0/9 (0%) samples belonging to the Isaaq clan.
Northern Dir tribes Northern Somali (East Cushitic) Dire Dawa 14/17 82.4% [16] Dir sub-clans of Dire Dawa are Issa, Gurgura and Gadabuursi.
Somalis (Djibouti) Somali (East Cushitic) Djibouti 30/40 75% [196] This sample is only 25% E-M215. Clan not specified.
Anteony Antemoro (Plateau Malagasy) old Antemoro Kingdom 22/37 59.5% [197] The Anteony are the descendants of aristocrats, from whom the Antemoro king is chosen. Can be grouped into the Silamo, because they have the right to undertake the ritual slaughter of animals (Sombily)
Northern Dir tribes and Afars Northern Somali and Afar(Cushitic) Djibouti 30/54 56.6% [198] Mixed sample of Somali and Afar individuals.
Somalis (Ethiopia) Somali (East Cushitic) Shilavo (woreda) (Ogaden) 5/10 50% [17] The geographic location of this Ethiopia sample as seen in Fig.1.
Aushi Aushi Zambia 1/2 50% [199]
Toubou Toubou Chad
31% [200] All belonging to the T1a-PF5662 subclade
Afars Afar language (East Cushitic) Djibouti 5/20 25% [17]
Akie Akie people (Nilotic) Tanzania 3/13 23.1% [Hirbo et al.] Akie people have remnants of a Cushitic language
Somalis Somali (East Cushitic) Jijiga (Ogaden) 19/83 22.9% [16] Jijiga Somalis.
Arabs from Somalia Somali (East Cushitic) immigrants in Yemen 7/33 21.2% [201]
Lemba Venda and Shona (Bantu) South Africa 6/34 17.6% [2] Exclusively belong to T1a2* (old T1b*). Possible recent founder effect. Low frequency of T1a2 has been observed in Bulgarian Jews and Turks but is not found in other Jewish communities. Y-str Haplotypes close to some T1a2 Armenians.
Rangi Rangi Language (Bantu) Tanzania 5/32 15.6% [Hirbo et al.]
Multiple ethnicity - Somalia 15/105 14.3% [202][203]
Iraqw Iraqw language (Cushitic) Tanzania 6/47 12.8% [Hirbo et al.]
Wachagga Kichagga (Niger-Congo) Dār as-Salām 3/24 12.5% [164] Mixed with Rift Southern Cushites.
Somali Somali (Cushitic) immigrants to Norway 12/104 11.5% [204]
Bench Bench(northern Omotic) Bench Maji Zone 14/126 11.4% [16]
Kores (Cushitic) SNNP 2/18 11.1% [16]
Oromo Afaan Oromo language (Cushitic) Oromiyaa 1/9 11.1% [205]
Fulbe Fula northern Cameroon 3/27 11.1% [206][207]
Gorowa Gorowa language (Cushitic) Tanzania 2/19 10.5% [Hirbo et al.]
Somali Somali (Cushitic) immigrants to Denmark 21/201 10.4% [208][7]
Upper Egyptians Egyptian Arabic Luxor Governorate 3/29 10.3% [23][209]
Kontas Konta language (Omotic) Konta special woreda 11/107 10.3% [16]
Rendille Rendille language (Cushitic) Marsabit County 3/31 9.7% [Hirbo et al.]
Datogs Rendille language (Cushitic) Tanzania 3/31 9.7% [210]
Gewadas Gewada language (east Cushitic) SNNP 11/116 9.5% [16]
Antalaotra Antemoro (Plateau Malagasy) old Antemoro Kingdom 4/43 9.3% [197] The Antalaotra are in charge of the magical and religious domains; they have the ability to read and write Sorabe. Can be grouped into the Silamo, because they have the right to undertake the ritual slaughter of animals (Sombily)
Upper Egyptians Egyptian Arabic Aswan Governorate 1/11 9.1% [211]
Subiya Subiya/Kuhane (Bantu) Zambia 1/11 9% [199]
Upper Egyptians Egyptian Arabic Assiut Governorate 6/70 8.6% [211]
Konsos (Semitic) Konso special woreda 2/24 8.3% [16]
Somali Somali (Cushitic) immigrants to Sweden 12/147 8.2% [212]
Arabs and Berbers Egyptian Arabic and Siwi Lower Egypt 12/147 8.2% [18]
Upper Egyptians Egyptian Arabic Sohag Governorate 4/52 7.7% [211]
Egyptians Erythraic (Cushitic) Egypt 7/92 7.6% [203][205] If the K* sample is M184+ then 8.7%
Oromo (Semitic) SNNP 2/28 7.1% [199]
Tigrayans Tigrinya (South Semitic) SNNP 2/30 6.7% [16]
Dirashas Dirasha (east Cushitic) Dirashe special woreda 5/79 6.3% [16]
Canarians Canarian Spanish Tenerife 11/178 6.2%

Omo Valley Omotic languages Ethiopia 6/98 6.1% [199]
Kordofanians Kordofanian Kurdufan 4/69 5.8% [193]
Upper Egyptians Egyptian Arabic Qena Governorate 3/52 5.8% [211]
Tuareg Tuareg (Berber) Gorom-Gorom 1/18 5.6% [213]
Afars Afar (East Cushitic) Afar Region 6/111 5.4% [16]
Ethiopians Ethiopian languages Ethiopia 4/74 5.4% [173]
Mashiles Mashile language (Cushitic) SNNP 7/130 5.4% [16]
Gurages Gurage languages (South Semitic) SNNP 6/118 5.1% [16]
Canarians Canarian Spanish Gran Canaria 4/78 5.1% [199]
Oromo Afaan Oromo language (Cushitic) Oromiyaa 4/78 5.1% [199]
Oromo Afaan Oromo language (Cushitic) Adis Abeba 2/40 5% [199]
Turu Nyaturu (Bantu) Tanzania 1/20 5% [210]
Moroccan Jews Haketia (Romance) Israel 1/20 5% [214]
Gedeos Gedeo (east Cushitic) SNNP 6/122 4.9% [16]
Wairak Iraqw (Cushitic) Tanzania 2/41 4.9% [18]
Western Libyans Libyan Arabic (Semitic) Tripoli region 7/142 4.9% [215]
[216]

Tunisians Tunisian Arabic (Semitic) Sfax 5/105 4.8% [217]
Libyans Libyan Arabic (Semitic) Tripoli area 3/63 4.8% [218]
Kanuri Kanuri Cameroon 1/21 4.8% [Hirbo et al.]
Iraqw[219] Iraqw (Cushitic) Tanzania 2/43 4.7%

Yems Yemsa (Omotic) SNNP 5/107 4.7% [16]
Jews (Semitic) Ethiopia 1/22 4.5% [17]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will notice multiple Somali studies, along with sample sizes and locations. The 77-85% in Somalis is E1b1b1a1 (M78), not V-32, which is a specific subclade. The clans are clearly confederacies, with the Isaaq even split between T and E.

There appear to have been multiple admixture events bringing T from the north, but the most recent work places one at 3000 YA, associated with the beginnings of Semitic languages in the Horn.

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004393

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalis

"According to Y chromosome studies by Sanchez et al. (2005), Cruciani et al. (2004, 2007), the Somalis are paternally closely related to other Afro-Asiatic-speaking groups in Northeast Africa.[167][168][169] Besides comprising the majority of the Y-DNA in Somalis, the E1b1b (formerly E3b) haplogroup also makes up a significant proportion of the paternal DNA of Ethiopians, Sudanese, Egyptians, Berbers, North African Arabs, as well as many Mediterranean populations.[168][170] Sanchez et al. (2005) observed the M78 (E1b1b1a1) subclade of E1b1b in about 77.6% of their Somali male samples.[167] According to Cruciani et al. (2007), the presence of this subhaplogroup in the Horn region may represent the traces of an ancient migration from Egypt/Libya.[169]

After haplogroup E1b1b, the second most frequently occurring Y-DNA haplogroup among Somalis is the West Asian haplogroup T (M184).[171] The clade is observed in more than 10% of Somali males generally,[167] with a frequency peak of 82.4% among Somalis in Dire Dawa.[172] Haplogroup T, like haplogroup E1b1b, is also typically found among other populations of Northeast Africa, the Maghreb, the Near East and the Mediterranean.[173][174]"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The background T in the large number of southern and non-Somali groups is typically around or less that 10% and probably does represent an ancient migration or influx from coastal merchants. But scores in the 82-100% range would seem to be something else. I think it is time to look a lot more closely at T, which is not likely to have been part of the migration from Egypt/Libya at these high levels, and is clearly concentrated in the area of Aksumite/Himyarite influence in the North.

IMO it is not at all too early to start looking at this stuff. New research areas are already indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending