Jamaican guy takes on "Are Somalis Black?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally identify as Somali only because if I'm going to accept a label that others have a 50% chance of denying or accepting then I'm going to spare myself the headache and take the label that I actually feel pride and investment in, that no-one can debate or impose on me
For real sxb, i only tick other & write in Somali. Always reppin.
:salute:

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
:salute::salute::salute:
Also:
Capture.PNG

I might be autistic but I noticed that your likes and messages are exactly the same so I took a screenshot :mjlol:

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Its only right that Somalis get their own box on census forms. Bengalis, chinese & pakis e.g have their own box. Its about time we get our own.
:manny:
In the UK a new "Arab" category has been rolled out that includes non-Arab populations that are in the Arab league like Kurds, Egyptians (they identify as Egyptian only) and Somalis. However Somalis have been filling out a separate Somali entry in the "Other" box so hopefully within the next few years we will have our own box :fittytousand:

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
When the 2011 Census was conducted, 37,708 residents in England and Wales wrote in "Somali" and 5,226 wrote in "Somalilander" under the "Black/African/Caribbean/Black British" heading in response to the ethnicity question. 6,146 wrote "Somali" and 826 "Somalilander" under the "Other ethnic group" heading. Others also wrote in "Somali" or "Somalilander" under the "White" (743 "Somali" and 151 "Somalilander"), "Mixed/multiple ethnic groups" (621 "Somali"), and "Asian/Asian British" (257 "Somali") headings.[72] In Scotland, 238 people wrote in "Somali" under the African heading

:damn::drakelaugh::dead1::deadmanny::deadrose:

@waraabe be honest that was all you

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
I believe it was @ChickenOriental that said "black" is kind of a redundancy and a little regressive to anyone who is already of African descent because that part is the only objective and tangible thing to identify with outside your specific ethnic group

She's making her point more and more by the day.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
I personally identify as Somali only because if I'm going to accept a label that others have a 50% chance of denying or accepting then I'm going to spare myself the headache and take the label that I actually feel pride and investment in, that no-one can debate or impose on me

Take a bow son.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
I believe it was @ChickenOriental that said "black" is kind of a redundancy and a little regressive to anyone who is already of African descent because that part is the only objective and tangible thing to identify with outside your specific ethnic group

She's making her point more and more by the day.
The "Black African" label is stupid, but it makes the perceived differences between North and Sub-Saharan Africa that much clearer. North Africans are lumped into the "White American" category in the U.S census, despite not identifying as white and having literally nothing in common culturally and not looking like Europeans. This North-South dichotomy is clear and obvious, which is why people from countries like Somalia and Ethiopia are an anomaly in terms of the "clean and efficient" Western racial terms. They're dark skinned Africans. So they're black, right? But they don't have "black" features, and their language doesn't sound "African". But they're muslim. So are they Arab? Wait, no, they're still dark skinned and don't speak Arabic. So are they black? But their country is near the Middle East, right? So are they Arab? And so on and so forth. It's stupid and you see this shit on the internet all the time, people arguing over what an ethnic group that they have no connection to is "racially". It's all bullshit discourse.
Capture.PNG

:snoop:
Race is a bullshit social construct and we are living proof of that.

It's one definition of Black according to Wikipedia.
"For example, in North America the term black people is not necessarily an indicator of skin color or ethnic origin, but is instead a socially based racial classification related to being African American, with a family history mainly associated with institutionalized slavery."
While some may see it as stupid it's no less valid or invalid than any other opposing view. For all we know there are people out there who consider the only black people to be African Americans and no-one else, with Africans being African and not black.
This is annoying to talk about because we're talking about something so abstract and man-made I can't even talk about it without mentioning dissenting opinions.
I agree it's abstract. But that should be accepted both ways. The people who sing to high heavens that they aren't black do so using made-up distinctions that group literally every subsaharan ethnic group outside of the Horn in one category and Somalis in the other.

VixR

Veritas
When the 2011 Census was conducted, 37,708 residents in England and Wales wrote in "Somali" and 5,226 wrote in "Somalilander" under the "Black/African/Caribbean/Black British" heading in response to the ethnicity question. 6,146 wrote "Somali" and 826 "Somalilander" under the "Other ethnic group" heading. Others also wrote in "Somali" or "Somalilander" under the "White" (743 "Somali" and 151 "Somalilander"), "Mixed/multiple ethnic groups" (621 "Somali"), and "Asian/Asian British" (257 "Somali") headings.[72] In Scotland, 238 people wrote in "Somali" under the African heading

:damn::drakelaugh::dead1::deadmanny::deadrose:

@waraabe be honest that was all you
This is gold. :damn:

It's esp funny, bc it's the individuals ethnicity that's being queried not their nationality, and both Somalilanders and Somalis are obviously plain Somali, hence I'm pretty sure there are a lot of Landers whom it didn't occur to make the distinction like 'the hardliners'.

In the UK a new "Arab" category has been rolled out that includes non-Arab populations that are in the Arab league like Kurds, Egyptians (they identify as Egyptian only) and Somalis. However Somalis have been filling out a separate Somali entry in the "Other" box so hopefully within the next few years we will have our own box :fittytousand:
About time lol. Yesterday I was asked what race I am by this cadaan lady i was filling out a form she was like are you Pakistani Asian? I said no I am Black African, I come from a country in Africa called Somalia. Then she was a bit confused and said you look Pakistani to me are you sure? Wtf, I told her just tick Black African.

TheLibertarianQuiche

Quintessentially negroid: Your problem?
About time lol. Yesterday I was asked what race I am by this cadaan lady i was filling out a form she was like are you Pakistani Asian? I said no I am Black African, I come from a country in Africa called Somalia. Then she was a bit confused and said you look Pakistani to me are you sure? Wtf, I told her just tick Black African.

No say I WAZ SOMALI and SHIEET.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Timo jileec is the number 1 thing that throws people off :bell:
Pakistani kulaha :mjlol:
Unless you're extremely pale I think Indian is the more accurate word :pachah1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts