Islam vs western values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one thing I have been battling with. When you grow up in the west, their values will be ingrained in you which might lead to you having conflicting ideologies. For example cutting the hand of thief's and cousin marriage. Have any you had any similar issues?

No I haven't cos I don't let others affect me.
You're either a real geeljire or you not, not everybody can be built straight metal :manny:

This one thing I have been battling with. When you grow up in the west, their values will be ingrained in you which might lead to you having conflicting ideologies. For example cutting the hand of thief's and cousin marriage. Have any you had any similar issues?

Why would cousin marriage bother me when it’s non-existent in Somali culture? And cutting of a theif’s hand rarely happens in Muslim countries. No one’s got the nerve to commit the crime in the first place :manny:

By the way, it’s really unfair to compare the Western world with the current Islamic world. One of them has peace, prosperity and stable politics, whilst the other one is overrun with extremist militias, corrupt politicians, poverty and regressive cultural practices. People in the Islamic world have been under so much hardship for so long that they have understandably given up on this world and focus too much on readying themselves for the next, which has made them lazy and unwilling to make things better for themselves.

When Islamic society was at its peak, we were the envy of the world. We made great advancements in culture, science, mathematics, the arts, medicine and politics. Women were empowered and protected, poor children were given an education, and literacy was at near 100%. We used to laugh and look down on Europe, blaming their savageness and backwardness on their religion (Christianity). Oh, how the tables have turned.

No not really, once you truly have that conviction that this is divine law than nothing else matters. I mean, Ilahi is the only one Who knows what's best for us. We can't be dependant upon morals an values set by humanbeings. It's very unstable and changes throughout history.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Cutting hands off thieves is not some sort of divine injuction that can be done willy nilly. You need expert scholars and righteous leaders to discern when to use it.

Today we have Wahabbi KSA only applying these rulings on the poor. Which is exactly what Islam came to fight against, injustice.

Cutting hands off thieves is not some sort of divine injuction that can be done willy nilly. You need expert scholars and righteous leaders to discern when to use it.

Today we have Wahabbi KSA only applying these rulings on the poor. Which is exactly what Islam came to fight against, injustice.
What is with people and wahabi. Do you follow islam or wahabi. Islam say cut people hands if they steal. What is so difficult. Dont blame your wants and desires on wahabi.

Samira

Illuminated Xalimo
Any religion which prescribes "law" and considers "values" has nothing to do with God. This world and everything in it, is an empty space. This is by design. God, who is chaos and disorder, has nothing to do with culture insofar as the perverse pleasure He gets from observing his imbecilic creations trying hopelessly to control their environment

No not really, once you truly have that conviction that this is divine law than nothing else matters. I mean, Ilahi is the only one Who knows what's best for us. We can't be dependant upon morals an values set by humanbeings. It's very unstable and changes throughout history.
No I haven't cos I don't let others affect me.
You're either a real geeljire or you not, not everybody can be built straight metal :manny:
You misunderstood me. I'm talking about things that has been ingrained from childhood.

Like the cousin stuff. I have seen many muslims with the same feelings towards it even though it's halal.
Cousin marriage is accepted in islam and somali culture.
Lakiin its not forced. U know what i mean.
But its not islam vs west type dilemma . It happens in eastern europe, most of asia and africa.

Cousin marriage is accepted in islam and somali culture.
Lakiin its not forced. U know what i mean.
But its not islam vs west type dilemma . It happens in eastern europe, most of asia and africa.
Let me put it in another way. If you today met a 9 years old girl who fulfilled all the criterias of Aisha and she was everything you wanted in women, would you still marry her?

Wtf. Child marriage is not allowed in Islam.

Exactly. Muhammad’s marriage to Aisha was purely an Arabian cultural practice not ingrained in Islam. People like to call out the Prophet’s marriage to Aisha 1,300 years ago but never talk about obese, bloated and crazily violent 55 year old Henry VIII’s marriage to 16 year old Katherine Howard in 1540 (whom he beheaded 2 years later). Talk about double standards...

The west does not have a monolithic ideology. It does not exist. I think you are referring to liberal values, right? But liberty and islam are not mutually exclusive.

Did you know that nobody got stoned the first thousand years after the prophet's death? It is used as a deterrent and is a complicated process that is nearly impossible to reach, because the requirements are hard to fit. This notion that people that steal gets their hands chopped off, and people that does adultery gets stoned to death is a grossly misinterpretation and simplification that skew the real reason as to why the law was written in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts