I'm going to compile a list of quotes about somali's, oromo's, etc, from the perspective of European travelers

''The Somalis occupy the eastern peninsula of Africa which extends into the Indian Ocean, and extend their commercial operations over Arabia and far into Africa. They are a pastoral and trading people and hold the proud honor of being the only one which can live in peace with the Oromo people. They are remarkable for beauty of features and ease of address, though they have a hideous habit of frizzing their hair to resemble the fleece of a sheep and staining it yellow with ocher.
Great fairs are held in their province, caravans bringing to them gum-Arabic, myrrh and incense, and African princes sending them gold, ivory, melted butter, slaves, camels, horses, mules and donkeys. What of these valuables they cannot dispose of at their fairs they carry abroad their own vessels. The Somali land includes the once famous kingdom of Adal, the unrelenting and destructive Muslim foe of Christian Abyssinia. They also divide much of the coast region with the Oromos.''
[Races, by Edward Sylvester Ellis, pages 62-63]

''For centuries, the somali in the ogaden and juba and wabe shabelle regions have been in close contact with the oromo. starting from the harar region, all the way down to the lower juba and tana rivers in the south, both seem to have competed with each other ''for water, grazing, and agricultural land.'' Around el wak in kenya, this has resulted in a significant oromo-somali assimilation, particularly between the warra daayya oromo and the somali.''

also below:

''Another Somali group called sab, or rahanwin, who live in southern somalia, have also blended with oromos. thomas wakefield, who collected traditions from the region in the 1860's and 1870's, writes of the sab, ''they are evidently much mixed with oromos, who formerly occupied a portion, at all events, of this country.'' There is also considerable assimilation between the somali and gabra. many somalis have adopted borana oromo culture and the gadaa system. L Aylmer writes, ''Intermingled with them, the borana, are to be found MANY Ajuran Somalis, of the Hawiya division, and Gurreh, another large division of the Somali race.''

[Integration and Peace in East Africa: A History of the Oromo Nation
By T. Etefa, Attitude toward and relations with non oromo]

The port of Mogadishu and the Oromo merchants: In the times before Ethiopia existed.

''Johann L. Krapf stated in the mid-19th century that those in Mogadishu's port traded with the people of Oromia. He writes: 'On the 23rd of November 1843 we passed the towns of Mukdisha, the Magadoxo of the maps, and Marka, each of which has some 5,000 inhabitants, who trade with the Oromo countries in the interior, fetching from them chiefly gum, ivory, horses, slaves and hides.'' The exports of the port came partly from Oromia and partly from the immediate Somali coastal area. The products of the interior included: ivory, rhinoceros horns, hippo's teeth, slaves, and horses; hides, gum, and grain were the main commodities originating from the coastal area. These items were exported to Arabia and down to Zanzibar. The Mogadishu port had been in close contact commercially with the interior throughout the 19th century. Prior to the advent of the steamboat, Mogadishu was visited by dhows owned by Arabs. J. Kirk, who also visited the port, observed: ''I was much struck with the number of large dhows at anchor, and volunteered as interpreter to the boats sent to examine them. We found 20 vessels, from 50 to 200 tons, all filled with or taking in native grain, which I learnt is largely grown on the river behind, near Geledi.''

[Integration and Peace in East Africa: A History of the Oromo Nation
By Tsega Endalew, Tsega Etefa; pages 116-117]

Attachments

• 11875190_10153540801861624_5677997216586042905_o.jpg
    11875190_10153540801861624_5677997216586042905_o.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 73
''Most Adjuran in northern Kenya are bi-lingual, speaking both Afaan Oromo and the Somali language, while two Adjuran groups, the Walmegga-Gashe and the Walmegga-Gelberis, are primarily Oromo speakers. During the colonial administration, both the Adjuran and the Garri were known as ''Half Somali.''
This situation is an indication of the fluid ethnic boundary between the Oromo and Somalis, in spite of the fact that traditionally the two groups are hostile. When the invading Somalis attached themselves as clients of the Oromos, most of them retained their Somali identity, but probably some came to be identified as Oromos. Today, substantial portions of all the ethnic groups in Northern Kenya have accepted Islam and more people are identifying as Somali.''

[Some aspects and implications of the development of grazing blocks in Northeastern Province, Kenya; pages 24-26]

''While the Adal empire was getting ready to administer the defeated Abyssinians, the Oromo engaged the army of the Adal empire in a fierce battle. At the end of the day, the Oromo army destroyed a huge army of the Adal empire which was equipped with the latest weapons of the times namely fire arms in a famous battle of Hazaloo in 1559. Once the Adal empire was cleared out of the way, the Oromo found it relatively easy to deal with the Abyssinian peoples because they were badly hit and weakened by the Adal army and hence were incapacitated to put up any effective resistance. The Oromo drove away the Adals and the Abyssinians to any furthest possible secure limits.''

[Ethnicity, Politics, and Society in Northeast Africa: Conflict and Social Change; pages 123-124

I like All Somali's. But some of my favorite groups are the ones who border oromo in the east and helped spread Islam among the Oromo there. Marehan Shaykh's, and others.

The Somaali and Cafaar ethnicities have a confederation called Jabarti, which includes clans and subconfederations such as Xarla and Gari. Does the great and populous Qoti nation have a Jabarti lineage? They genealogy doesnt have to match the Somaali Jabarti genealogical order which is different from the Cafar Jabarti geneology which is also different from the Yemenite Jabarti genealogy. The still share certain names but they differ on where each clan or subconfederation fits into the Jabarti genealogy.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
''Several, certainly, but probably many, centuries before Christ Semites from Yemen in South Arabia left their lands on the shores of the Red Sea and crossed over into Africa. Among these people the tribe called ''Habashat'' was the most important, and as already said, the name ''Abyssinia'' is derived from ''Habesh'', a form of Habashat. With the Habashat Semites, or perhaps following them, several other tribes migrated from Arabia into Africa; these were known as the ''Ag'aziyan,'' or ''the free'' and the Ethiopic language is called ''Ge'ez'' after them. The Habashat when they entered Africa found that the people they intended to settle among, and probably to conquer, were to all intents and purposes savages and barbarians, who knew nothing about working in metals, who lived in huts, and whose agricultural methods were of the most primitive civilziation into Abyssinia.''

[A History of Ethiopia: Volume I (Routledge Revivals): Nubia and Abyssinia; pages 128-130

The Somaali and Cafaar ethnicities have a confederation called Jabarti, which includes clans and subconfederations such as Xarla and Gari. Does the great and populous Qoti nation have a Jabarti lineage? They genealogy doesnt have to match the Somaali Jabarti genealogical order which is different from the Cafar Jabarti geneology which is also different from the Yemenite Jabarti genealogy. The still share certain names but they differ on where each clan or subconfederation fits into the Jabarti genealogy.

I am not sure to be honest with you. I'll try to do some research on that.

''After conquering Harar in 1887, Ethiopian forces under the command of Ras Makonnen started coercing the Isa, Gadabursi, Habr Awal and the Somalis of Haud and Ogaden. The Ethiopians opened a post in 1891 at Bio-Kaboba among the Gadabursi Somalis who on paper lived under British protection. The frequency and intensity of Ethiopian raids had increased so much that the India office complained to the Foreign Office in early 1893 about ''the oppressive proceedings of the Abyssinians'' in regard to the levy of a daily tribute of sheep on the Yunus Jibril section of the Jibril Abokr Somalis and also of the repeated devastation of the Ogaden country. Moreover towards the south the Ethiopians had penetrated the Juba river and Lugh and in the north they claimed authority over the Isa Somalis.''
[Anglo-Ethiopian Relations, 1869 to 1906: A Study of British Policy in Ethiopia, page 121]

cow

VIP
I like All Somali's. But some of my favorite groups are the ones who border oromo in the east and helped spread Islam among the Oromo there. Marehan Shaykh's, and others.

thats interesting, are you from harar, negele or baabile? by any chance. MX use to live on those areas.

thats interesting, are you from harar, negele or baabile? by any chance. MX use to live on those areas.

Nah man. My parents were mostly raised in Adoola, [Kebre Mengist in Amharic], it is close to Negele/Negele Borana though, but Adoola, is Guji land, and Guji land does border Somali's. But, my grandparents, on both sides, are from Jimma, our sub clan is Sadacha, and the overall clan is Maccaa, and I do have a large Silte presence in my family [my mother's great grandmother is full Silte]. Strangely enough though, people tell me that I look very Somali, not sure what that means, or if maybe down the line of ancestors, I may have some Somali blood, who knows?
But, marehan were/are very respected by many Oromo, and I suspect it's because of some marehan and other somali shaykh's/shuyookh who spread Islam in our areas.

from a reliable Somali brother, who is Marehan:
''A little history between Marehan and Oromo, when the Ethiopians came to Marehan at Walwal, during the fighting when Marehan soldiers were behind enemy lines, it was Oromo soldiers that let them go, my grandfather told me the army consisted mainly of Oromo and Amhars during Haile Selassi time, the Oromo soldiers would not allow Marehan captured behind enemy lines to be killed, this was close to a hundred years ago in the period of 1919-1920 in Doollo area todays Wardheer woreda, my grandfather was captured by Amhara soldier when he was in a group of Somalis from various clans, they asked everyone their clan, the other Somalis told him not to say his clan they will kill him, but he said his clan because Marehan we do not hide from death, the same Amhara soldiers started arguing among themselves, it turned out that one of them was Oromo and he knew Marehan clan and refused to allow Amhara to kill, there are many Marehan in Oromia as scholars in Islam that is possibly where he knows Marehan from.
Another important interaction we had with Oromo was in southern Ethiopia during the same time 1890-1920s, the same Oromo soldiers allowed us to operate deep into Ethiopia to launch attacks on the British in Serinley post and attack the Camel corps(Khalid Ali's people) who served the british faithfully. Alot of Somali clans today in Kenya is a result of Marehan kicking them out of Jubaland a 100 years ago, we do not differentiate between Muslim as Marehan anyone who attack us is the enemy.''

''As a geographical term 'Oromo-land' is now used mainly to denote the south-central regions of the Ethiopian empire, the country in which the Oromo are numerically the strongest. There is no sharp dividing line between the territory occupied respectively by the Oromo and by the Somali.
In any case the Oromo must be regarded as members of that vast eastern Hamitic family which includes their neighbors, the Somali, the Afars, and the Abyssinians. As in all the eastern Hamites, there is a perceptible strain of Negro blood in the Oromo, who are, however, described by Sir Frederick Lugard as a ''wonderfully handsome race, with high foreheads, brown skins, and soft wavy hair quite different from the wool of the Bantus.'' As a rule their features are quite European. Their color is dark brown and milk tint. The finest of them are found in Limmu and Guduru on the river Abay.''
[The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General Literature, Volume 11 : pages 412-414]

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
''The Somalis occupy the eastern peninsula of Africa which extends into the Indian Ocean, and extend their commercial operations over Arabia and far into Africa. They are a pastoral and trading people and hold the proud honor of being the only one which can live in peace with the Oromo people. They are remarkable for beauty of features and ease of address, though they have a hideous habit of frizzing their hair to resemble the fleece of a sheep and staining it yellow with ocher.
Great fairs are held in their province, caravans bringing to them gum-Arabic, myrrh and incense, and African princes sending them gold, ivory, melted butter, slaves, camels, horses, mules and donkeys. What of these valuables they cannot dispose of at their fairs they carry abroad their own vessels. The Somali land includes the once famous kingdom of Adal, the unrelenting and destructive Muslim foe of Christian Abyssinia. They also divide much of the coast region with the Oromos.''
[Races, by Edward Sylvester Ellis, pages 62-63]

Do you agree with the belief some Oromo's have that they have a right to some of Somalia's land.

Do you agree with the belief some Oromo's have that they have a right to some of Somalia's land.

They already occupy much of gedo ,bay and bakool even today they trade with the Ethiopian bir in most bay and parts of gedo . The Ethiopian oromos belive all of Somalia is there's

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
They already occupy much of gedo ,bay and bakool even today they trade with the Ethiopian bir in most bay and parts of gedo . The Ethiopian oromos belive all of Somalia is there's
I know there are some boran in gedo but are there actually oromos in bay and bakool? What are they called and where exactly do they live

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
Oromo need access to sea port more than land, and we aim to compete with Lamu port by building the Kismaayo corridor. We know they are oppressed but right now we can not engage in political economic struggle with Ethiopia over Oromo, so we choose the horn collaboration to offset the Lamu corridor. We cannot have a bantu mega power being born next door to us. We have racial and ideological inconsistencies with Kenya that we do not have with Ethiopia, today Kenya is biggest threat in Somalia, even Farmaajo who is level headed and refused to call UAE an enemy was quite clear about Kenya being an enemy state. Majority of Ethiopia economy is from the south Oromos, and different nations/peoples of the south produce the coffee and many other exports.

reer

VIP
No. But the Oromo there in somalia do deserve basic human rights. They're your kin in blood and more importantly, religion. Plus they're hard workers.
muslim oromos who believe in oromuma are compromised by their kinship with amharified menelik agents aka christian oromos. we should beware.