I can't speak Somali

Helios

Certified Liin Distributor
AQOONYAHAN
VIP
As you can read in the title of this thread I am completely incapable of speaking Af Somali. I understand a few words but my parents who were both fluent in English by the time I was born never really taught me. I live in a white neighborhood in Canada at least an hour away from relatives (also all fluent in english) and I had no need growing up speaking the language. I've already braced myself for the xabashi accusations like our ethiopian friend @Waaqo of Punt. I would love to be able to speak Somali as I feel incomplete without it.

As you can read in the title of this thread I am completely incapable of speaking Af Somali. I understand a few words but my parents who were both fluent in English by the time I was born never really taught me. I live in a white neighborhood in Canada at least an hour away from relatives (also all fluent in english) and I had no need growing up speaking the language. I've already braced myself for the xabashi accusations like our ethiopian friend @Waaqo of Punt. I would love to be able to speak Somali as I feel incomplete without it.
I was gonna help until u threw in the Ethiopian accusation. :trumpsmirk:

Also, don't bother asking these people. Even if u speak Somali they'd brand u as a kaafir xabesha if u disagree with their backward 68IQ views. Just speak your mind.

Happy_

Laa ta aamin nin wa law kaana ninkaaga- bom!
This is what happens when somalis think they‘re progressive, it’s alway ilbaxnimo xun. Why wouldn‘t they teach you somali? I mean ppl can grow bilingual even trilingual and speak all languages fine. I learnt english as my fourth language alx. Do your parents have issues with somalis? What happened? :cosbyhmm:

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
This is what happens when somalis think they‘re progressive, it’s alway ilbaxnimo xun. Why wouldn‘t they teach you somali? I mean ppl can grow bilingual even trilingual and speak all languages fine. I learnt english as my fourth language alx. Do your parents have issues with somalis? What happened? :cosbyhmm:
Idk I guess they focused on me learning English well and not going to brag but I have a pretty good handle on the language. My Mom spent a lot of time in Kenya as a kid and her younger sisters don't speak Somali well so my maternal side speaks Swahili mostly. I make fun of them for it. My Dad is also fluent in english and somali but you can tell its not his first language. Also my mom speaks English as well as any white person can and without any accent

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
One thing I may add, Two of my paternal cousins live in the same neighborhood as their his mom moved to djibouti as a kid. They speak fluent French and English and have some understanding Somali but can't speak

Happy_

Idk I guess they focused on me learning English well and not going to brag but I have a pretty good handle on the language. My Mom spent a lot of time in Kenya as a kid and her younger sisters don't speak Somali well so my maternal side speaks Swahili mostly. I make fun of them for it. My Dad is also fluent in english and somali but you can tell its not his first language. Also my mom speaks English as well as any white person can and without any accent

Oh my, this hurts my soul. :noneck: I mean im not fluent in somali but i will make sure my kids (if Allah blesses me with them) speak the language of their ancestors. I feel like it‘s important, how else will you feel connected to your people and country? Don’t worry, there’s still hope for you. Ask someone to teach you somali.

Happy_

One thing I may add, Two of my paternal cousins live in the same neighborhood as their his mom moved to djibouti as a kid. They speak fluent French and English and have some understanding Somali but can't speak

Wait they live in djibouti and don‘t speak somali? :ayaanswag:

Helios

AQOONYAHAN
VIP
Oh my, this hurts my soul. :noneck: I mean im not fluent in somali but i will make sure my kids (if Allah blesses me with them) speak the language of their ancestors. I feel like it‘s important, how else will you feel connected to your people and country? Don’t worry, there’s still hope for you. Ask someone to teach you somali.
Ye I feel pretty disconnected but then again the Somalis in the Toronto area and beyond don't inspire me much either. I will try and visit their and immerse myself to learn it inshallah

Happy_

Ye I feel pretty disconnected but then again the Somalis in the Toronto area and beyond don't inspire me much either. I will try and visit their and immerse myself to learn it inshallah

I feel you, may you succeed! Your parents can teach you some somali aswell, no?

Luciddreamer

Certified bakhti
My advice is to walk in a somali coffe shop and let the geezers roast your sht to oblivion. It will develop a wrath inside you and your resolve to learn af somali will become a priority.

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
I'm the same. Grow up in a none Somali mostly mostly white and Asian area but able to speak at a toddler level Somali but I can't write shit in Somali. Be happy you didn't grow up in the ghetto surrounded by thugy.

Luciddreamer

Certified bakhti
I'm the same. Grow up in a none Somali mostly mostly white and Asian area but able to speak at a toddler level Somali but I can't right shit in Somali. Be happy you didn't grow up in the ghetto surrounded by thugy.

Found your snobby ass warya

w3so7zj.jpg