How tf was Mogadishu a Swahili city state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Apparently it was known as "Mji wa Mwisho" (Kulaha that's where the name came from) and was the oldest Swahili cities founded by local Bantu speaking population. :mindblown:

IMG_1397.JPG

Look at this bullshit map. Why do these illiterate Afrocentric idiots think Mogadishu was a Swahili city state?

IMG_1396.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg

:donkey::donkey::donkey::donkey:

Apollo

VIP
Shangaani or whatever the old centre of Mogadishu is called sounds very Bantu/Swahili.

The cad cads of Somalia = used to be Swahili.

The Swahili of Kenya and Tanzania are more Negroid. The ones in Somalia are more mixed race/middle eastern.

I was watching a crash course about Islam and Africa, at one point they brought up Somalia but instead of bringing up anything about Mogadishu they just said it was a Swahili city state...I was like what?

I hate how our history is constantly being stolen by Kenyans or Eritreans, fucking pathetic.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
It's from 12-13th century so that time Mogadishu was multi-ethnic trade port. It was ruled by Somalis but you would also find Arabs and maybe Swahilis. So perhaps in Swahili it could be called that. But it is wrong to call it a Swahili trading states.

Shangaani or whatever the old centre of Mogadishu is called sounds very Bantu/Swahili.

The Swahili of Kenya and Tanzania are more Negroid. The ones in Somalia are more mixed race/middle eastern.

Yeah but just because historically a large portion of Cadcads lived there doesn't mean it is their city. Otherwise, Esfahan belongs to Jews and Miami belongs to Cubans.

I've read Swahili oral traditions and they claim cadcads as their ancestors, I kid you not. Some have similar tribal names and carry similar haplotypes:

"(E1b1b-V22, E1b1b-M123, F*(xF2, GHIJK), G2a, I, J1, J2, L1, Q1a3, R1*, R1a*, R1a1 and R2 (29.7%)),[56]and Southeast Asia (O1 (6%))".

The above are results of Swahili speakers in general. Around 30~ carry Eurasian haplotypes but tbh, the sample also included none ethnic Swahilis so the percentage of Swahilis who carry Eurasian haplotypes is likely to be higher.

So far I've seen cadcads with J1, J2, G, R1a1a, T, L (South Iranian markers), E (M78), E (M123) & E3B1 (Somali).

You're right though cadcads are more Middle Eastern. The Swahilis are probably less pure versions of cadcads (since they have a high level of Bantu DNA, some South East Asian & European ancestry, etc).

Last edited:
I don't know. Mogadishu looks very similar to other Swahili-Arab trading ports. You can tell by the similarities in architecture with other port cities like Lamu and Mombasa.

Last edited:
The city of Xamar was founded approx in 9th or 10th century by Somali sultan. In those days it was known as the Sultanate of Mogadishu & the inhabitants were primarily Somali. As it expanded some small number of ajnabis came over and assimilated. It was never a "swahili" city.

I was watching a crash course about Islam and Africa, at one point they brought up Somalia but instead of bringing up anything about Mogadishu they just said it was a Swahili city state...I was like what?

I hate how our history is constantly being stolen by Kenyans or Eritreans, fucking pathetic.
The only dispute we have with the Eritreans is where Punt was located.
:heh:

https://historyinthehorn.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/when-himyar-ruled-the-banadir/

"Muqdisho
is a very old city, older than most people even realize. The first dynasty to rule Muqdisho was the Tubba’ dynasty of the Himyar kingdom, with the king “Ascad Karb“. Ascad Karb is most likely As’ad Abu-Karib ibn Malik-karib, a king of Yemen who ruled between 418 and 433 CE and a convert to Judaism by Yathrib’s Jewish community following a military campaign there, this dates the foundation of the old town of Xamar Weyne to roughly 420-430 CE.

The area of Banaadir (the traditional region including Muqdisho, Baraawe, Marka and other coastal cities) is described in the Greek document the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (written around the year 460 CE) as part of “Azania“, a region subject to Charibael of the Homerites (who can be identified with ‘Amir Sharahbil Ya’fir ibn As’ad Abu Karib, the son of the aforementioned king), so the Muqdisho tradition is backed up with documentary evidence. Sharahbil was a Christian, as was his branch of the Tubba’ family, and the religious differences in the country of Himyar would seal the doom of the nation."

"There are mentions of Shingani being founded by a “Shingan ibn Hami ibn Ma’adi-Karib”, who could have been either the aforementioned Ma’adi-Karib or another Ma’adi-Karib who was another son of Sharahbil."

We are talking 420-430 CE here.

Here is another version, by Qasim Art:

http://qasimart.yolasite.com/mogadishu-1600-2011.php

This one has some really neat photos.

Here is the story from the Somali side:

https://operationoverload.wordpress...f-wacdaan-and-their-alliance-with-the-geledi/

“In ancient times the Sirasi lived in Mogadiscio. The people called Halawani succeeded the Sirasi. The Mudaffar succeeded the Halawani. The Mudaffar came from the country of Yemen in Arabia. He had guns. He built the palace that is found under the Governor’s house. He was a friend of the Aguran. At that time the Mudaffar governed the coast; and the Aguran ruled in the woodland. The Hirabe were not nearby them; they lived in the northern places. At that time the people of the woodland could not spend the night in the city of Mogadiscio. At sunset a ban was put on the city: ‘Hawiyya, it is growing dark! Hawiyya, it is growing dark!’ Then they went away toward the woodland.

“Later the Mudaffar had an interpreter who was called ‘Ismankäy Haggi ‘Ali. This ‘Ismankäy had the idea of letting the Darandollä enter the city. A message was sent to the imam Mahmud ‘Umar, who lived at Golol. The imam, guiding his Page: 71 warriors, came south and approached Mogadiscio. Then what did ‘Ismankäy do? He spoke with the Mudaffar: ‘By now the Darandollä are near Mogadiscio, let me be accompanied by some soldiers, and I shall go to them.’ ‘How do you want to do it?’ ‘I shall do it this way. I shall come to an agreement with the leaders and make them return to the places in the north.’ ‘So be it!’ said the Mudaffar. Then ‘Ismänkäy took some soldiers with him, but without weapons: ‘Leave your weapons! We go out to conclude an agreement, not really for war.’ They put down the weaons. They went into the woodland. When they had gone into the woodland, the Darandollä came out and took all the soldiers prisoner. Then they continued the raid and entered Mogadiscio. The Mudaffar was caputred and they wanted to kill him. But he, looking at the people who had come close to him, saw among them ‘Ismankäy Haggi Ali. ‘Stop!’ he said then. ‘Before you kill me, I want to speak. O ‘Ismankäy, you are good for nothing, you are capable of nothing, you will not pass seven!’ he said. Thus was 248 ‘Ismankäy cursed. When the Mudaffar was killed, when seven days passed after his death, ‘Ismankäy died too. It happened exactly as he had been cursed.

‘After entering Muqdisho, the Darandoolle quarrelled with the Ajuraan. They quarrelled over watering rights. The Ajuraan had decreed: ‘At the wells in our territory, the people known as Darandoolle and the other Hiraab cannot water their herds by day, but only at night’’…Then all the Darandoolle gathered in one place. The leaders decided to make war on the Ajuraan. They found the imam of the Ajuraan seated on a rock near a well called Ceel Cawl. They killed him with a sword. As they struck him with the sword, they split his body together with the rock on which he was seated. He died immediately and the Ajuraan migrated out of the country.’

The Abgaal took control of Mogadisho in about 1665 and have considered it their own ever since.

Bohol

VIP
Well Shingani is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Mogadishu and that name ain't certainly Somali. You work it out.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Well Shingani is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Mogadishu and that name ain't certainly Somali. You work it out.
One of the oldest neighbourhoods' names having a Swahili origin doesn't really prove that Xamar was a swahili city state. All it really proves is that there was some Swahili influence hundreds of years ago.

Cukaash

"WE WUZ BOQORTOOYO" KARBASHER.
I stayed in kenya especially in the coast province where swahilis live and spent quite sometime.
OP these are internet delusions.
No swahili claims Muqdisho.
Stop spreading false information from the internet.

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
LOL, people believe this shit? Most of the Somali coastal city are even older then Islam by a good 500 years, let alone be called swahili.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
LOL, people believe this shit? Most of the Somali coastal city are even older then Islam by a good 500 years, let alone be called swahili.
It seems to be some sort of mistake that historians commonly propagate when teaching about the Swahili city states. I guess they figure that since there were a bunch of city states on the Swahili coast, and that Mogadishu was also a city state not that geographically far from the Swahili Coast, so it had to be Swahili? It's a weird thought process and it is very irritating but I guess it's understandable.

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
It seems to be some sort of mistake that historians commonly propagate when teaching about the Swahili city states. I guess they figure that since there were a bunch of city states on the Swahili coast, and that Mogadishu was also a city state not that geographically far from the Swahili Coast, so it had to be Swahili? It's a weird thought process and it is very irritating but I guess it's understandable.

I have done a lot of research into this topic and I can tell you It all started with colonial writers, who believed that indigenous Africans won't capable of building cities, and that those cities must have been built by Arabs and Persian.
They lump all these cities together under the Swahili name and claim they were built by Arabs and Perisans.

The matter of fact is that 500 years before Islam, the Ancient map writtern in Greek called Periplus of the Erythraean sea, showed that cities where built on the Somali coast.

PeriplusAncientMap.jpg

However, they prefer to runaway with the mythical Arab and Persian builders :kodaksmiley:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts