How tf was Mogadishu a Swahili city state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
Mogadishu was a vassal state for Adal which was told to send help against ethiopia, this is why Mogadishu sultante collapsed when Adal fell in the 16th century https://books.google.ca/books?id=kSYkCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA49&dq=mogadishu+sultanate+adal&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilubTcnYbSAhWd8oMKHVhDBTUQ6AEINzAG#v=onepage&q=mogadishu sultanate adal&f=false

okay, Everett Jenkins writing in 2000 would know the relationship between Mogadishu and Adaal in 1500's, cool story dude.:mjlol:

Search it up.

I never claimed he visited Somalia, nor did I claim that the year he suspected Middle Easterners to have inhabited Somalia coincides with the date of his birth-death. This information must have been based on second-hand sources.
Al idrisi never mentioned Mogadishu or Arab inhabitants. Only people he mentioned on the Somali coast were the Hawiya. He did not make any mentions of Middle Easterners in Mogadishu two hundred years before his birth.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
I don't know why they cite Kismayo as a Swahili city when it was founded by Somalis in the 1860s. It has a bantu name but it was not founded by them and was just the site of a water well.

The only Swahili speaking town in Somalia is Barawe where the Reer Barawe speak Chimwini, a dialect of Swahili. Mogadishu is a Somali city wit heavy Persian, Arab and local bantu influences. It was always Somali speaking.

Mogadishu was a vassal state for Adal which was told to send help against ethiopia, this is why Mogadishu sultante collapsed when Adal fell in the 16th century https://books.google.ca/books?id=kSYkCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA49&dq=mogadishu+sultanate+adal&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilubTcnYbSAhWd8oMKHVhDBTUQ6AEINzAG#v=onepage&q=mogadishu sultanate adal&f=false
Sultanate of Mogadishu lasted longer than Adal and they scared of the Portuguese from ever attacking them. Sultanate of Mogadishu didn't fall because of Adal Sultanate nor is that stated in the book you listed

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
Al idrisi never mentioned Mogadishu or Arab inhabitants. Only people he mentioned on the Somali coast were the Hawiya. He did not make any mentions of Middle Easterners in Mogadishu two hundred years before his birth.

I believe the quote attributed to Al Idrisi is fake. Al Idrisi was born in Medieval Spain, so their was little likelihood he would have knowing anything about what was going on in the coast of Somalia.

I believe the quote attributed to Al Idrisi is fake. Al Idrisi was born in Medieval Spain, so their was little likelihood he would have knowing anything about what was going on in the coast of Somalia.
He was heavily invested in the Swahili states on Bilad al Zanj, and due to proximity got to learn some of Bilad al-Barbar. He spoke of Merca and surrounding area along Lower Shabelle as the Homeland of the Hawiya, and so did Ibn Sa'id and other travelers in the years following that

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Sultanate of Mogadishu lasted longer than Adal and they scared of the Portuguese from ever attacking them. Sultanate of Mogadishu didn't fall because of Adal Sultanate nor is that stated in the book you listed

Mogadishu fell shortly after Adal due to Hawiye Ajuran attacks from the south . Hawiye was located at merca according to al idrisi i believe prior to their mogadishu invasion. Adal capital was surrounded by the oromos, and was forced to build a wall in harar to protect adal royalty. They couldnt protect mogadishu or their other territories.

so, so far in this thread claims are mogadishu was founded by persians, yemenite jews, omanis, hararis or bantus.
No one can know who the city was founded by. It's too old and it was likely a single hut at first.

We do know that it's the capital of the Somali State and it's first Sultan in the 12th Century was a Somali. And that's the time we actually have good historical data from.

AceofSom

nx]\\0-9
He was heavily invested in the Swahili states on Bilad al Zanj, and due to proximity got to learn some of Bilad al-Barbar. He spoke of Merca and surrounding area along Lower Shabelle as the Homeland of the Hawiya, and so did Ibn Sa'id and other travelers in the years following that

Bro, none of these guys visited anywhere near Somalia they were from Andulucia, thus they could have no knowing who was living their or not.

If, you think they did, then let me knew where in their writings they stated this. I am interested to know.

Mogadishu fell shortly after Adal due to Hawiye Ajuran attacks from the south . Hawiye was located at merca according to al idrisi i believe prior to their mogadishu invasion. Adal capital was surrounded by the oromos, and was forced to build a wall in harar to protect adal royalty. They couldnt protect mogadishu or their other territories.
Hawiye was located over the whole Benadir region during that time. Merca and The Nile of Mogadishu were mentioned as places inhabited by the Hawiya in the 1100-1200s.

Mogadishu wasn't a territory of Adal Sultanate wtf are you talking about

Bro, none of these guys visited anywhere near Somalia they were from Andulucia, thus they could have no knowing who was living their or not.

If, you think they did, then let me knew where in their writings they stated this. I am interested to know.
They did travel along the Somali coast. They were travelers. Al Idrisi wrote a book about his travels even, and he was highly regarded at the time as a traveler and cartographer.

Young Popeye

Call me pops
Hawiye was located over the whole Benadir region during that time. Merca and The Nile of Mogadishu were mentioned as places inhabited by the Hawiya in the 1100-1200s.

Mogadishu wasn't a territory of Adal Sultanate wtf are you talking about

It was a vassal state, which meant Adal would protect it if it were to be attacked. You can pretend Mogadishu was more powerful then Adal if you want. It accepted to be a tributary state. Hawiye might of been in the region but they werent ruling Mogadishu until their political Ajuran state from merca started rising. Muzafar dynasty collapsed because of Ajuran.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Dudes have gone crazy :dead: Harari Swahili Yemenis Persians Arabs Bantu?? Chill wtf.

Muqdisho is a combination of Muuq (Sight) and disho (killer) meaning "Sight killer" in the Somali language, a metaphor for blinding beauty so that means it was founded by Somalis and was always a Somali. If people are gonna claim the city might as well be the ones that control it today :manny:

Mogadishu was the biggest wealthiest and most prestigious city on the African coast so I can't blame niggas for trying to claim it :wow:

One thing is for certain the city is old (Sarapion). Older than any of the groups claiming it so the founders must have been some extinct Cushitic speakers that lived in the region around 1 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending