Hargeisa history

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to most oral accounts, Hargeisa was founded by the Ciidagale clan in the early 1800s as a trading/caravan stop between Berbera to the north, Harar to the west, and the Ogaden (Somali Galbeed) to the south. But it was the arrival of Sheikh Madar, a Qadiri scholar from Berbera, that made the settlement grow.

Late 19th century account of Hargeisa:

As you can see from above, Sheikh Madar's tariqa in Hargeisa was home to Qamadi/Sorghum plantations, and he took care of the poor and destitute who flocked to the settlement from surrounding areas.

Sheikh Madar's father got wealthy off the Berbera-Harar trade, so he used that money to send his son to Harar, which was the foremost centre of Islamic learning in the horn at the time. It seems that his experience in Harar helped him to later establish a successful agriculturally-based tariqa in Hargeisa.

Old photograph of Sheikh Madar AUN (on the right):

237706308_145e140b6f_z.jpg

Photograph of a farmer growing Qamadi in Hargeisa district:

IMG_20190101_210946.jpg

@Factz @Magool @Fiidmeer

Last edited:
Early 20th century architecture of Hargeisa:

DfzPWF3XkAAndeD.jpeg
DfzPVv1WAAAKlYc.jpeg

It's such a shame that most of the old architecture got destroyed during Afweyn's indiscriminate shelling, but some gems do still remain:

IMG_20190201_193432.jpg

Last edited:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
in my opinion much of the north was dominated by the port cities of Ziela and Berbera
but great to know the history of hergeisa and how it was founded

Wow the arches look like Syrian ones. Our architecture has a lot of Arab influence. How old is the building?

Not very old (1900-1940). The building in the 3rd pic was probably influenced by the architectural style of Aden, Yemen. Many Somalis from present-day Somaliland used to trade and work in Aden.

Last edited:

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
My Edo told me Hargeisa means "little Harar" in old Aff Soomaali. Makes much more sense now why it was called that.:ohhh:
That’s why I speak to my grandmother regularly. They have knowledge that will die with them. My grandmother randomly told me that she had a older relative who met Mohamed Abdullah Hassan himself. Unfortunately her memory is not the best now, I wish a spent more time with her years ago.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
That’s why I speak to my grandmother regularly. They have knowledge that will die with them. My grandmother randomly told me that she had a older relative who met Mohamed Abdullah Hassan himself. Unfortunately her memory is not the best now, I wish a spent more time with her years ago.
Wallahi that sucks. Inshallah I can ask my Grandmother similar questions.

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
My Edo told me Hargeisa means "little Harar" in old Aff Soomaali. Makes much more sense now why it was called that.:ohhh:
False. The name is derived from two blended Somali words: Harga (animal hide/skin) + Gaysa... Hargagaysa and then it was shortened into HARGAYSA.

It was a small village where rawhide and animal skin traders use to conduct the skin curing process so they can later export it to Berbera.

False. The name is derived from two blended Somali words: Harga (animal hide/skin) + Gaysa... Hargagaysa and then it was shortened into HARGAYSA.

It was a small village where rawhide and animal skin traders use to conduct the skin curing process so they can later export it to Berbera.

You are correct, that is the main etymological origin of Hargeysa as @Factz earlier pointed out.

Hargeisa's routes lies in the hide/skins trade, as well as a watering/caravan stop between the coast and the interior. However, by the late 19th century it became a growing (albeit small) settlement with Qamadi cultivation. Various goods could also be bought during the trading season as seen from the contemporary account I posted earlier.

May Allah (swt) grant your grandmother Shifā as well as a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ

Yup, I also heard that one before, but loool it's not in old af Somali....it's in af Harari, I believe.

Apparently, Harar's old name used to be Gey(the City) and its inhabitants used to be called Geyusu("the People of the City")

That’s why I speak to my grandmother regularly. They have knowledge that will die with them.

Inshallah I can ask my Grandmother similar questions.
This :dzmxmmb:
If your grandparents are still alive take advantage of their knowledge as much as you can..They're literally the only who preserve what's left of the Somali culture.

Even if they aren't around anymore, you can still ask other random elders from your tuulo or city.:geek:

Last edited:
@Timo Madow and proud @Fiidmeer you guys are on to something.

I believe the ‘Little Harar’ nickname cropped up by the latter half of the 19th century, which was also when Sheikh Madar established his Islamic commune in Hargeisa. Not really surprising since he studied in Harar for many years. Moreover, the walled city was connected to Hargeisa via the caravan trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending