Not open for further replies.
:rejoice:Mashaallah Hargeysa was so beautiful back then
Baxsaneey Hargeysaa

Hargeisa was so beautiful in the past.

download (3).jpeg

:banderas:

Bohol

VIP
Actually Hargeisa's earliest settlers were Cidagale and Arab. The Togaherer (little Herer) existed even before Sheikh Madar arrived.

That is why the Mad Mullah said in his poem.

"Gadh hunguri galay Habar Yoonis iyo Harar nin joogaa leh (Cidagale)". Hargeisa was called little Herer when it was just a Cidagale/Arab village.

Yup, I also heard that one before, but loool it's not in old af Somali....it's in af Harari, I believe.

Apparently, Harar's old name used to be Gey(the City) and its inhabitants used to be called Geyusu("the People of the City")

Yh I agree with what was stated above by you and @Timo Madow and proud , I've heard the same thing. Apparently the name of their(Harari's) language is called "Geysinan". Apparently the somalis who used to live in the walled city of Harar also spoke the language.

I've also heard the "Harga gaysa" explanation too that Karim was talking about.

The language of the Harari's is dying out as most of their kids are not speaking it anymore but instead amharic. Also the Hararis are a minority in Harar now that bloody Oromos and Amharas have flooded into the muslim city of Harar.
:gucciwhat::nahgirl::liberaltears::susp:

Man I feel sorry for them.:meleshame:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Actually Hargeisa's earliest settlers were Cidagale and Arab. The Togaherer (little Herer) existed even before Sheikh Madar arrived.

That is why the Mad Mullah said in his poem.

"Gadh hunguri galay Habar Yoonis iyo Harar nin joogaa leh (Cidagale)". Hargeisa was called little Herer when it was just a Cidagale/Arab village.

Hargeisa prior to Sheikh Madar was a place of wells for nomads to feed their camels and was also a trade route area where they exported animal hide and skin to Berbera.

Sheikh Madar of the Sacad Muuse is mainly credited for the modern foundation of Hargeisa by establishing a permanent settlement.

dwWmtUE.png

Last edited:
What about the Gabooye living there and being expelled by a sheekh.

http://somalipeople.wikia.com/wiki/Yibir

"The Yibir (also spelled Yibbir) are a small clan of Somalia, subsisting as itinerant soothsayers and magicians. They are said to predate the coming ofIslam to the area and to be descendants of Mohammad Hanif of Hargeysa, who had a reputation as a pagan magician.[1]"

"The foundational myth for the Yibir involves one Sharif Yuusuf Barkhadle (popularly known as Aw Barkhadle or the "Blessed Father"[9]), a man described as "the most outstanding saint in northern Somalia"[10] and associated with Sheikh Ishaaq, the founder of the Isaaq Somali clan family.[11] The myth underlies the modern Somali practice of offering gifts to peripatetic Yibir soothsayers who come to lay blessings upon newborn children and newlywed couples. The story goes that when Barkhadle first settled near his eventual place of burial in the northern Somaliland region, he was confronted by Mohamed Hanif (also pejoratively known as Bu'ur Ba'ayer), a local Yibir leader who ruled the territory contrary to the laws of Islam. The two leaders then decided to settle the issue of legitimacy between them via a test of mystical strength. Barkhadle challenged Hanif to traverse a small hill near Dogor,[12] an area situated some 20 miles north of the regional capital of Hargeisa.[13]Hanif twice successfully accomplished this task asked of him. However, during Hanif's third demonstration of his powers, Barkhadle "invoked the superior might of God and imprisoned his rival for ever within the mountain."[14] Orthodox Islam thus prevailed over the old pagan cult.[15] However, Hanif's descendants are said to have subsequently demanded blood money or diyya from Barkhadle for the death of their leader and in perpetuity.[16][17]Barkhadle granted them their wish,[18] and this gave rise to the modern custom of samanyo or samayo ("birth gift"[19]), payment made to the Yibir by their Somali patrons.[20]"

This would have been in the 12th-13th century. Samanyo was still paid in the 60s, not sure about now. Aw Barkhadle, the archaeological site, is just 20 miles north of Hargeisa and, according to Sada Mire has both Jewish and Tumaal graves.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10437-015-9184-9

Odey @Grant, this thread is about the established origins of Hargeisa, which is based on first-hand contemporary accounts and supplemented with reliable secondary sources. I am not sure what a medieval myth has to do with Hargeisa, a settlement founded in the 1800s.

Odey @Grant, this thread is about the established origins of Hargeisa, which is based on first-hand contemporary accounts and supplemented with reliable secondary sources. I am not sure what a medieval myth has to do with Hargeisa, a settlement founded in the 1800s.
Everything has a story that predates the pen. I know of a city in bari that had a Christian ethiopian king controlling it. The name stuck. The story happened and is acknowledged. Do you think hargeysa was settled in the 1800s. I think it was settled since founding of our fathers 1200 to 900 yrs ago.

Everything has a story that predates the pen. I know of a city in bari that had a Christian ethiopian king controlling it. The name stuck. The story happened and is acknowledged. Do you think hargeysa was settled in the 1800s. I think it was settled since founding of our fathers 1200 to 900 yrs ago.

I highly doubt Hargeisa was settled in the 1200s. However, there were medieval settlements in historic towns like Amud and Aw Barkhadle.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Hargeisa was settled in the 1200s. However, there were medieval settlements in historic towns like Amud and Aw Barkhadle.

Later history does not change the archaeology.

"Aw-Barkhadle is located on the eastern side of the Berbera Road that goes through current-day Aw-Barkhadle town. The site of Aw-Barkhadle includes archaeological remains, a ruined town within which the current mausoleum of Saint Aw-Barkhadle is located, as well as different types of burial traditions, including Christian, Muslim, and others of non-Islamic character such as cairns, dolmens and stelae including phallic gravestones. The leaders let themselves be buried at the Aw-Barkhadle site (Mire forthcoming). However, the site was a pre-Islamic centre, and the sacred landscape includes a mountain, trees, stones and well associated with deities, most prominently the sky God. Here, everything has been given a meaning and placed in a divine order. It connects the pre-Islamic/pre-Christian with the Islamic through myths, legends and ancestor worship."

Strongly suggest you read Sada Mire:

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement

"Aw-Barkhadle is located on the eastern side of the Berbera Road that goes through current-day Aw-Barkhadle town. The site of Aw-Barkhadle includes archaeological remains, a ruined town within which the current mausoleum of Saint Aw-Barkhadle is located, as well as different types of burial traditions, including Christian, Muslim, and others of non-Islamic character such as cairns, dolmens and stelae including phallic gravestones. The leaders let themselves be buried at the Aw-Barkhadle site (Mire forthcoming). However, the site was a pre-Islamic centre, and the sacred landscape includes a mountain, trees, stones and well associated with deities, most prominently the sky God. Here, everything has been given a meaning and placed in a divine order. It connects the pre-Islamic/pre-Christian with the Islamic through myths, legends and ancestor worship."

Christian burials?!:jaynerd:

What Christians where living in the middle of Somaliland?!:mindblown:

Thanks for the link. I do respect Sada Mire's great work (she's vastly more knowledgeable than all of us), but we are talking about the modern establishment of Hargeisa here. I am not denying the pre-Islamic archaeological finds in the region, I'm just posting about Hargeisa as a settlement.

I suggest you make a separate thread based on Mire's findings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending