Gaas; Somalis need a strong central power to tame them to be a country

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Former Puntland Prez Gaas is visiting reer Minnesota, he said in his speech with each state having veto power, we will never come together as a country because Somalis can't come to a consensus on anything. We only came together because of a strong central power.

I agree on a strong central power, but we can still remain a Federal system, like the USA.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Incredible show of hypocrisy, he went from a nobody to being appointed PM of the country adopting centralism, then on the back of that he became the leader of Puntland, his whole tenure was in opposition to centralism

He even did what no other leader before him did which was to flirt with secession-ism, now we are supposed to believe he changed his mind.

This guy is nothing more then an ardent opportunist, it's a political ploy, he is betting on Farmaajo not returning and a HAG becoming the President so he can become the PM and return to relevancy.

He senses the direction of Somali politics away from federalism towards centralism and the fact that the majority of Somali's are becoming tired of these tribal confederations already falling apart politically.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Incredible show of hypocrisy, he went from a nobody to being appointed PM of the country adopting centralism, then on the back of that he became the leader of Puntland, his whole tenure was in opposition to centralism

He even did what no other leader before him did which was to flirt with secession-ism, now we are supposed to believe he changed his mind.

This guy is nothing more then an ardent opportunist, it's a political ploy, he is betting on Farmaajo not returning and a HAG becoming the President so he can become the PM and return to relevancy.

He senses the direction of Somali politics away from federalism towards centralism and the fact that the majority of Somali's are becoming tired of these tribal confederations already falling apart politically.

He was already PM once, I would think he would be running for President

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
He is dreaming, federalism has taken hold on the ground in Somalia particularly in 3 regions, the Jubba, Puntland and Southwest, that's self governance or autonomy. We saw that in Baidoa they chose a former terrorist rather than be ruled from Mogadishu and due to the weakness of that region Xamar was able to lock him up.

Abdiweli did mention 1 important thing and that was mooryaans. When the new senators were chosen he refused any warlord of Darod origin to be a new senator. However lets look at the lineup for other tribes; Muuse Suudi Yalaxow, Bootaan Ciise, Qanyare, Qeybdiid and finally Omar Finish as mayor.

That is a prime example why centralism will never be supported in the regions I mentioned earlier, there's no trust in a central power that can be abused like that. Who decides who is electable in Somalia? When questions about the civil war are solved Somalia can move on.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
He is dreaming, federalism has taken hold on the ground in Somalia particularly in 3 regions, the Jubba, Puntland and Southwest, that's self governance or autonomy. We saw that in Baidoa they chose a former terrorist rather than be ruled from Mogadishu and due to the weakness of that region Xamar was able to lock him up.

Thats why he said we need a very strong central power to tame the qabiil bullshit.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Thats why he said we need a very strong central power to tame the qabiil bullshit.
And you think regional governments will magically give up their power? You think people will let them when other tribes front warlords as their representatives? The civil war should be addressed if they ever want a central power till then it will never happen. Most the people that spew it are either tribalist themselves cause they believe power will be situated in Xamar or they are naive idealists who haven't considered 3 decades of strife.

Teflon

Inactive
VIP
And you think regional governments will magically give up their power? You think people will let them when other tribes front warlords as their representatives? The civil war should be addressed if they ever want a central power till then it will never happen. Most the people that spew it are either tribalist themselves cause they believe power will be situated in Xamar or they are naive idealists who haven't considered 3 decades of strife.
Exactly. most regional governments especially Somaliland which is seeking independence would never give away their power after what happened in 1988 when there was centralism.

power should be shared equally amongst tribes if centralism came back

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

How are you going to militarily defeat MJ? How will your central government reach Puntland when you can't get past my subclan in Galkacyo? If you brought all of the SNA to Galkacyo next week, they would not be able to reach Xerada Siinay.

:russ:

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
How are you going to militarily defeat MJ? How will your central government reach Puntland when you can't get past my subclan in Galkacyo? If you brought all of the SNA to Galkacyo next week, they would not be able to reach Xerada Siinay.

@Thegoodshepherd is right, its pointless advocating for strong centralised power, when it can't even dominate and stabilise mogadishu.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

Kheyrmaajo had 3 years to rollback federalism, and they have utterly failed. They have managed to replace the heads of Hiirshabeele, KG and Galmudug. These replacements were utterly cosmetic and of no serious consequence. None of those 3 federal states have independent sources of revenue nor do they have a unified security force. Ahmed Madoobe, with only the revenues generated from kismayo, has been able to go toe to toe with Kheyrmaajo and win more support from Somalia's political elites.
No real changes have been made to the constitution, and the 2021 election will gain be based on 4.5.

Kheyrmaajo have thoroughly discredited centralism as political goal even among the Hawiye. They want to make the ostensible "center", Mogadishu, a Hiraab federal state! All that their push for centralism has done so far is to stunt the country's political progress. Kheyrmaajo will lose in 2021, an Abgaal will become president, and further devolution will resume.

Hassan Garguute Buldanana

AUG 25, 2023
VIP

Abdiweli did mention 1 important thing and that was mooryaans. When the new senators were chosen he refused any warlord of Darod origin to be a new senator. However lets look at the lineup for other tribes; Muuse Suudi Yalaxow, Bootaan Ciise, Qanyare, Qeybdiid and finally Omar Finish as mayor.

That is a prime example why centralism will never be supported in the regions I mentioned earlier, there's no trust in a central power that can be abused like that. Who decides who is electable in Somalia? When questions about the civil war are solved Somalia can move on.
Key difference between us, we send politicians while they send moryaans with blood on thier hands to Parliament. We were wrong to stop Morgan from joining the so called senate.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
I think SFG is doing a superb job in establishing the pillars for a strong central government that maintains check and balances within the states. Abdiweli has raised great point and I agree with him :)

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
Former Puntland Prez Gaas is visiting reer Minnesota, he said in his speech with each state having veto power, we will never come together as a country because Somalis can't come to a consensus on anything. We only came together because of a strong central power.

I agree on a strong central power, but we can still remain a Federal system, like the USA.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Mixing in English words during a Somali talk = nin mutacalin ah oo qurbaha wax ku soo bartay :chrisfreshhah:That arrogant gudubuursi professor is guilty of this. He even sneers. I remember watching this debate of his, he was arguing for somaliland and he was told you've run out of time so put a lid on it. :russ:He huffed and puffed - it was child like. :mjlol:

Last edited:

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
I just noticed at 38:31 mark the cameraman pans to Ilhans husband in the audience:mjlol:

@Thegoodshepherd is right, its pointless advocating for strong centralised power, when it can't even dominate and stabilise mogadishu.

In this hypothetical we would have a strong central power though, and as Gaas said there is no Somalia where consensus can be built with the states, the only way forward is a strong central Government.

FBIsomalia

True Puntlander
VIP
I just noticed at 38:31 mark the cameraman pans to Ilhans husband in the audience:mjlol:

In this hypothetical we would have a strong central power though, and as Gaas said there is no Somalia where consensus can be built with the states, the only way forward is a strong central Government.
Are ready to repeat 50 years of failed state. To me today Somalia progress from federalism so why going to reason the country went to civil war and till today Somaliland.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
Are ready to repeat 50 years of failed state. To me today Somalia progress from federalism so why going to reason the country went to civil war and till today Somaliland.

Because as Gaas says in the speech, we will never recover as a country waiting for states to reach a consensus, which is good for our enemies like Kenya. We need one source of truth for power, and that is a strong central government.

Trending

Latest posts