Flag controversy in Addis Ababa between Oromo and Amhara

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the Oromo region is the only region that matters! 60% of Ethiopia's gdp is Oromia and Addis Ababa! Oromia is the economic heart of Ethiopia. It is where the Coffee is grown, the flowers are cut, the wheat and corn that feed Tigray are produced, and where a third of the country lives. SNNP and Oromia are the future of Ethiopia, and in both regions Amharic language/culture is in decline. Oromos are even abandoning the Tewahedo in favor of Evangelical Protestantism; the number of orthodox Oromo is in free fall.

If Oromia becomes an Oromo only zone, whatever claim Amharic has to national significance will disappear. Ethiopia is a great country because of the Oromo, they are the muscle. The muscle is starting to develop a brain, it will no longer need Xabash guidance.

:russ:

Sigh...we can go back and forth on this forever but the point I was trying to make was Oromo region can not pretend to be a homogenous society because it never was and will never be. Like I was saying they have to literally do ethnic cleansing to operate at the level you are describing. They may be the biggest ethnic group but they are not a majority. The 60% economy( not sure if it fact) you mentioned only exists because some of their biggest cities have a diverse community.

A better Oromo region is good for Ethiopia....a better Somali region is good for Ethiopia. A more urbanized and industrialized Oromo region is good for Ethiopia and Ethiopians. The way Somalis view Amharas is not very nuanced, so I am not surprised by your very simplistic conclusions.

So Addis Ababans despise ethnic politics and the OLF but welcome Ginbot 7 with open arms?
:ulyin:
Ethiopian nationalism has always been code for Amharo nationalism.
:drakekidding:

Addis Ababans or Amharo?
:ulyin:
@AfranQallo @Abba Sadacha
Are you going to let her propaganda stand unchallenged?
:mjohreally:

She can talk all she like. She knows the day her naftenyas serving our breakfast the way tigrayans are is around the corner.

First don't rise to Somali's bate. They don't have anyone's interest at heart including Oromos or even Somalis. Second the Ethiopian flag represents all of Ethiopia and it's people where as the other represents one party. That flag is not the Oromo flag because OLF does not represent all Oromos. It only presents those people that support that Party. If you are Oromo and support OPDO ( Abiy's party) then it does not represent you.

Third G7 is not an Amhara organization. It actually has no Amhara leader in its ranks. Its only called that because they have a "United Ethiopia" platform.

Last Addis Ababa will never be Oromo or Amhara. That city is the personification of Ethiopianism. That is why ethnic politics never worked there. Unless OLF is planning Ethnic Cleansing on a major scale Addis Ababa will never belong to one ethnic group.

P.S. the tri color flag was waived by every Ethiopian when facing enemies that came to destroy US. It has a meaning so much so other African countries tried to emulate us. You can slap whatever you want in the middle but the colors will always stay.

1. The so called OLF flag has more respect and admiration throughout Oromia than any other flag. The only comparable one would be the current ethio flag, which represents federal ethiopia, not the old emiye ethiopia that we mostly suffered under. i support any oromo who struggles for the best interests of the oromos, so that includes OPDO, OLF, OFC, among others.

2. g7 is not amhara led, true, but it's policies are those of amhara elites, who would like to dismantle federalism, and take us back to 1956 ethiopia. the amharas we work with, are the ones who support federalism, self rule, within 1 ethiopia. unity of ethiopia is a nice slogan with sinister and evil ulterior motives when the g7 uses it... if unity means amhara elitist rule returns, we tell them to shove it up their .....

3. addis ababa is finfinne for us, it's very important for oromos, for millions of us, if u respect oromo, u would know this by now. which is why we say ''FINFINNE HANDHURA OROMIA'' which means ''FINFINNE IS THE UMBILICAL CHORD OF OROMIA.''
just because the white man's guns allowed menelik to displace our people from there does not make our claim to it any less legitimate.
not to mention the fact that it's literally in the middle of oromia, depending completely on oromia for its food, water, and so on; so HOW CAN WE NOT CLAIM A CITY THAT IS SURROUNDED BY US AND DEPENDENT ON US???
the tri color flag represents menelik's conquest to us, or a lot of us oromos, so we do not like it, for the most part. it represents amhara elitist supremacy. we are okay with the new flag with the somewhat satanic star?? in the middle... because it represents a federal ethiopia...one in which we rule oromia, ourselves, within 1 ethiopia...

1. The so called OLF flag has more respect and admiration throughout Oromia than any other flag. The only comparable one would be the current ethio flag, which represents federal ethiopia, not the old emiye ethiopia that we mostly suffered under. i support any oromo who struggles for the best interests of the oromos, so that includes OPDO, OLF, OFC, among others.

2. g7 is not amhara led, true, but it's policies are those of amhara elites, who would like to dismantle federalism, and take us back to 1956 ethiopia. the amharas we work with, are the ones who support federalism, self rule, within 1 ethiopia. unity of ethiopia is a nice slogan with sinister and evil ulterior motives when the g7 uses it... if unity means amhara elitist rule returns, we tell them to shove it up their .....

3. addis ababa is finfinne for us, it's very important for oromos, for millions of us, if u respect oromo, u would know this by now. which is why we say ''FINFINNE HANDHURA OROMIA'' which means ''FINFINNE IS THE UMBILICAL CHORD OF OROMIA.''
just because the white man's guns allowed menelik to displace our people from there does not make our claim to it any less legitimate.
not to mention the fact that it's literally in the middle of oromia, depending completely on oromia for its food, water, and so on; so HOW CAN WE NOT CLAIM A CITY THAT IS SURROUNDED BY US AND DEPENDENT ON US???
the tri color flag represents menelik's conquest to us, or a lot of us oromos, so we do not like it, for the most part. it represents amhara elitist supremacy. we are okay with the new flag with the somewhat satanic star?? in the middle... because it represents a federal ethiopia...one in which we rule oromia, ourselves, within 1 ethiopia...

1. The OLF may have wide support of Oromos but you can not say it represents all of them, otherwise the other parties would not exist. There is ideology differences which will be more clearer once Democratic elections are under way.

2. The only reason people dont agree with the current federal system is because it allows for any state to activate article 39. Even tho they have since changed their tune OLF used push for independence. This is what make people feel insecure. If some power starved megalomaniac like the Somali president, can try to activate it to stay in power, then it will always be a liblity. A reformed federal system is best option and I am not sure of what the G7 agenda is outside of outsing TPLF.

3. Addis is important to the Oromos but it is also important to every other people in Ethiopia. That city is a refuge for people who want a break from ethnic frivolity and simply be a citizen of Ethiopia. There are few places in Ethiopia where people can feel that way and Addis is one of them. People want to protect that status quo because over the last 27 years ethnic relations have hardened except in Addis. You can't blame people for wanting to keep it.

4. Like I said before people can vote on what should go in the middle of the flag but the tri colors will not change. It would be insane for other African countries to have it as their flag as a tribute to us but for us not to have it.

we do not care what the sons of settlers in our land say about our flag. or about our organization the OLF. we hate g7 as well, yet did u see us letting that stop them from campaigning in our land?
understand that, first of all. do u think we like the blood soaked emiye menelik flag?
no. but we tolerated it, and didn't do anything. so who are the g7 supporters to dare tell us what flags to use? they better relax, because oromo can easily make sure g7 does not operate anywhere in oromia. we can easily chase them the same way we chased the ones who chased them, the tplf.
first of all, where were they BEFORE qeerroo's blood liberated them and the entire country?
they were in their closets, too scared to do anything.
Ethiopians aren’t savage barbarians like Galla. If and when it comes down to addis, we will be putting you in shackles once again. You’re not native to addis and it’s surrounding area. Barely even native to Ethiopia, don’t forget your place.

If it weren’t for the Ginbot 7, none of this would have happened.

What these people are forgetting to mention is their delusional Ginbot7 party supporters have looted businesses and attacked Oromos in Finfinne for flying the OLF flag in the city. These people were freely flying their flag the week before and painting streets, but as soon as Oromos start to welcome the OLF home, they attacked. It’s a shame the innocent people were targeted, but this was all instigated by the G7 youth.

And yeah they are settlers. They are free to escape back into the highlands if they don’t want the OLF home. None of ye habesha are happy with their return, but what the hell are they going to do with a united Oromo nation ready for action especially those that want to bring the old emperial Ethiopia back - G7.

https://www.facebook.com/100001963622410/posts/2215322335209866/

I agree with you that the Addis youth should never resort to violence even if some OLF supporters did provocative actions. Still there is no excuse for throwing stones etc.

Having said that, the very OLF narrative of calling Addis Ababan settlers and threatning them is wrong and is one of the reasons Addis Ababans despise OLF unlike OPDO. You can’t label millions of citizens as settlers and at the same time expecte to rule their city peacefully. This kind of talk need to stop it only leads us to fight over history which is not helpful at all.

I agree also that this incident is isolated and will not escalate. There is on both sides no appetite to escalate the situation further.

Dear XABESHI, you left out the fact that 6 Oromo people died as a result of people not wanting Oromo to carry their flags this was before the OLF came back into their home land and no ADDIS ABABIAN SETTLERS HAVE AN ISSUE WITH OROMO FLAG AND PEOPLE. the truth is that you guys killed members of Oromo before all this mess even started dont lie !!!

Ethiopians aren’t savage barbarians like Galla. If and when it comes down to addis, we will be putting you in shackles once again. You’re not native to addis and it’s surrounding area. Barely even native to Ethiopia, don’t forget your place.

hey ye internet jegna, u cannot handle oromos and u know it
u were hiding behind your mamas skirt, when tplf was in the streets fighting oromos,
and we won, and freed your asses, so instead of talking bad about us, u should be paying homage to us, and respecting us.
oromos surround the capital on all sides, if u try some funny stuff, you will be buried instantly turned into fertilizer!!

Manshallah the beginning of the Oromo Amhara war should make every Somali happy. Oromoow I would love to see you give it to these cocky Amharas :banderas:

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Manshallah the beginning of the Oromo Amhara war should make every Somali happy. Oromoow I would love to see you give it to these cocky Amharas :banderas:
After the centuries of terror the Amharo inflicted on the Oromos, the only appropriate response is genocide.

If it weren’t for the Ginbot 7, none of this would have happened.

What these people are forgetting to mention is their delusional Ginbot7 party supporters have looted businesses and attacked Oromos in Finfinne for flying the OLF flag in the city. These people were freely flying their flag the week before and painting streets, but as soon as Oromos start to welcome the OLF home, they attacked. It’s a shame the innocent people were targeted, but this was all instigated by the G7 youth.

And yeah they are settlers. They are free to escape back into the highlands if they don’t want the OLF home. None of ye habesha are happy with their return, but what the hell are they going to do with a united Oromo nation ready for action especially those that want to bring the old emperial Ethiopia back - G7.

Are you telling me you Kerro massacred a bunch of shemanes. Raped women and children. Burned and looted properties in Burrayew....because of what exactly?

Are you really trying to justify this disgusting and absolutly vile act?

If it was because of the flag thing...what does that have to do with the people attacked? They were just poor families living outside Addis?

I mean have some heart!

Are you telling me you Kerro massacred a bunch of shemanes. Raped women and children. Burned and looted properties in Burrayew....because of what exactly?

Are you really trying to justify this disgusting and absolutly vile act?

If it was because of the flag thing...what does that have to do with the people attacked? They were just poor families living outside Addis?

I mean have some heart!

No one said those people derserved what hit them. That’s 100% wrong. They should have fought with the g7 youth who attacked them, not ordinary citizens. I don’t agree with what happened, but all this could have been prevented if G7 didn’t feel so insecure and attack Oromos in Finfinne. At this point both are at fault, one for instigating and the other for harming.

And it’s not only the flag issue, but stupid claims that Oromos are not native. Qeeyro stood their guard and told them to F off and head back to where the came from.

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
I don’t think this new found Oromo power and arrogance will last long Oromo are acting like sore winners don’t act up now you just got released from 500 years of Habesha bondage and you might be thrown right back in it if you don’t calm the f*ck down

I don’t think this new found Oromo power and arrogance will last long Oromo are acting like sore winners don’t act up now you just got released from 500 years of Habesha bondage and you might be thrown right back in it if you don’t calm the f*ck down

You have no clue what your taking about. The beef is between Qeeyro and G7. No one should want G7 to gain power. This group wants to bring Ethiopia back to a one language, one culture Amhara nation. Not going to happen. They are the ones causing issue that weren’t there before.

Shaolin23

Seeker of knowledge and truth
You have no clue what your taking about. The beef is between Qeeyro and G7. No one should want G7 to gain power. This group wants to bring Ethiopia back to a one language, one culture Amhara nation. Not going to happen. They are the ones causing issue that weren’t there before.
I’m just telling you be gracious winners and play good politics even turn the other cheek sometimes if you have to don’t massacre people now because you got a little power at anytime the CIA can assassinate your president Abiy then blame Al Shabab after you riot and go on a rampage the US will airlift weapons to Habesha to enslave you for another 500 years and “restore” order I’ve seen this kind of movie before you better watch your back Oromo boy the Habesha are plotting and they’re excellent plotters this is looking like a set up

No one said those people derserved what hit them. That’s 100% wrong. They should have fought with the g7 youth who attacked them, not ordinary citizens. I don’t agree with what happened, but all this could have been prevented if G7 didn’t feel so insecure and attack Oromos in Finfinne. At this point both are at fault, one for instigating and the other for harming.

And it’s not only the flag issue, but stupid claims that Oromos are not native. Qeeyro stood their guard and told them to F off and head back to where the came from.

It could have been prevented if hotheaded children don't try to dictate sensitive issues with violence. We both know the flag issue was in the spur of the moment between two youth groups while this attack was coordinated and ment to inflict maximum distruction. That is a big difference in my eyes and can not be justified.

This is how it should be. If you can't read it. It says Arba minch youth who wanted to take revenge and destroy Oromo businesses were stopped by elders. They literally kneeled infront of the business to stop what was about to happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts