Flag controversy in Addis Ababa between Oromo and Amhara

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a silly flag dispute that got the two youths (OLF and Ginbot 7) clash. During the biggest and diverse recent demonstration in Addis that was held in support of PM Abiy, everybody could wave their party's flag including OLF flag and there was no problem.

You have to know in Ethiopia there is no consensus on the national flag. Few days ago Ginbot 7 leaders came from exile and Addis Ababa was full of the old Ethiopian flag which is also the symbol of Ginbot 7. Fyi, Addis Ababa is the main base for Ginbot 7 and they will win the election in the city very easily. Now there were still some flags left from last week's Ginbot 7 rally on the streets and when the OLF supporters were preparing the coming of OLF leaders, which is scheduled for the coming Saturday, they started to remove the old Ethiopian/Ginbot 7 flag and replacing it with OLF flag. Additionally, OLF supporters started to paint walls and streets with OLF symbols. Both these actions extremely offended Addis Ababan youth, so the Addis Ababan youth started to throw stones on OLF supporters and also to remove OLF flag and repaint the streets. As far as I can tell and from my personal information no one in Addis Ababa is against OLF supporters raising their flags or using their symbols. What they didn't like is removing the old Ethiopian/Ginbot 7 flag and painting streets.

Now the police is controlling the situation and all leaders including PM Abiy, the Federal and city Police chiefs, City Administration and the leaders of Ginbot 7 and OLF all condemned the violence on national TV and asked for tolerance. My hope is that OLF supporters will stop provoking in the next days and the Addis Ababa youth goes back to its previous tolerance. Btw, OLF is extremely hated in Addis Ababa, a city with extremely Ethiopian nationalist sentiments that despises anything ethnic or clan based politics. Addis Ababans also extremely hate OLF's ideology that claims the city as Oromo only and labels the current inhabitants as settlers. But still, until now Addis Ababans were tolerating OLF flag without any incidents. I hope the youth goes back to its previous stand.

Btw, this has nothing to do with Amhara VS Oromo. It is more between two political parties Ginbot 7 VS OLF.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
Btw, OLF is extremely hated in Addis Ababa, a city with extremely Ethiopian nationalist sentiments that despises anything ethnic or clan based politics. Addis Ababans also extremely hate OLF's ideology that claims the city as Oromo only and labels the current inhabitants as settlers.
So Addis Ababans despise ethnic politics and the OLF but welcome Ginbot 7 with open arms?
:ulyin:
Ethiopian nationalism has always been code for Amharo nationalism.
:drakekidding:
Addis Ababans also extremely hate OLF's ideology that claims the city as Oromo only and labels the current inhabitants as settlers.
Addis Ababans or Amharo?
@AfranQallo @Abba Sadacha
Are you going to let her propaganda stand unchallenged?
:mjohreally:

This is a silly flag dispute that got the two youths (OLF and Ginbot 7) clash. During the biggest and diverse recent demonstration in Addis that was held in support of PM Abiy, everybody could wave their party's flag including OLF flag and there was no problem.

You have to know in Ethiopia there is no consensus on the national flag. Few days ago Ginbot 7 leaders came from exile and Addis Ababa was full of the old Ethiopian flag which is also the symbol of Ginbot 7. Fyi, Addis Ababa is the main base for Ginbot 7 and they will win the election in the city very easily. Now there were still some flags left from last week's Ginbot 7 rally on the streets and when the OLF supporters were preparing the coming of OLF leaders, which is scheduled for the coming Saturday, they started to remove the old Ethiopian/Ginbot 7 flag and replacing it with OLF flag. Additionally, OLF supporters started to paint walls and streets with OLF symbols. Both these actions extremely offended Addis Ababan youth, so the Addis Ababan youth started to throw stones on OLF supporters and also to remove OLF flag and repaint the streets. As far as I can tell and from my personal information no one in Addis Ababa is against OLF supporters raising their flags or using their symbols. What they didn't like is removing the old Ethiopian/Ginbot 7 flag and painting streets.

Now the police is controlling the situation and all leaders including PM Abiy, the Federal and city Police chiefs, City Administration and the leaders of Ginbot 7 and OLF all condemned the violence on national TV and asked for tolerance. My hope is that OLF supporters will stop provoking in the next days and the Addis Ababa youth goes back to its previous tolerance. Btw, OLF is extremely hated in Addis Ababa, a city with extremely Ethiopian nationalist sentiments that despises anything ethnic or clan based politics. Addis Ababans also extremely hate OLF's ideology that claims the city as Oromo only and labels the current inhabitants as settlers. But still, until now Addis Ababans were tolerating OLF flag without any incidents. I hope the youth goes back to its previous stand.

Btw, this has nothing to do with Amhara VS Oromo. It is more between two political parties Ginbot 7 VS OLF.

we do not care what the sons of settlers in our land say about our flag. or about our organization the OLF. we hate g7 as well, yet did u see us letting that stop them from campaigning in our land?
understand that, first of all. do u think we like the blood soaked emiye menelik flag?
no. but we tolerated it, and didn't do anything. so who are the g7 supporters to dare tell us what flags to use? they better relax, because oromo can easily make sure g7 does not operate anywhere in oromia. we can easily chase them the same way we chased the ones who chased them, the tplf.
first of all, where were they BEFORE qeerroo's blood liberated them and the entire country?
they were in their closets, too scared to do anything.

So Addis Ababans despise ethnic politics and the OLF but welcome Ginbot 7 with open arms?
Ethiopian nationalism has always been code for Amharo nationalism.
:drakekidding:

Addis Ababans or Amharo?
@AfranQallo @Abba Sadacha
Are you going to let her propaganda stand unchallenged?
:mjohreally:

To be honest, Addis Ababans showed little to no sympathy for the Amhara struggle and their organization Ginbot 7 has huge conflict with Amhara organizations. Just few days ago Amhara youth forced a Hotel in Bahrdar to remove Ginbot 7 banner. Ginbot 7 is suspected by Amhara activists to try to hijack their ethnic based struggle. When the Amharas in Gonder and in Bahrar were on the street, dying and showing their sympathies for Qeerrroo, Addis Ababans were nowhere to be seen. When Amharas were dying in Gonder the Addis Ababans refused to join. Their extremely nationalistic party Ginbot 7 has big problems in Amhara region. When Amhara leaders came from exile no Addis Ababan bothered to receive them.

Last edited:
we do not care what the sons of settlers in our land say about our flag. or about our organization the OLF. we hate g7 as well, yet did u see us letting that stop them from campaigning in our land?
understand that, first of all. do u think we like the blood soaked emiye menelik flag?
no. but we tolerated it, and didn't do anything. so who are the g7 supporters to dare tell us what flags to use? they better relax, because oromo can easily make sure g7 does not operate anywhere in oromia. we can easily chase them the same way we chased the ones who chased them, the tplf.
first of all, where were they BEFORE qeerroo's blood liberated them and the entire country?

I agree with you that the Addis youth should never resort to violence even if some OLF supporters did provocative actions. Still there is no excuse for throwing stones etc.

Having said that, the very OLF narrative of calling Addis Ababan settlers and threatning them is wrong and is one of the reasons Addis Ababans despise OLF unlike OPDO. You can’t label millions of citizens as settlers and at the same time expecte to rule their city peacefully. This kind of talk need to stop it only leads us to fight over history which is not helpful at all.

I agree also that this incident is isolated and will not escalate. There is on both sides no appetite to escalate the situation further.

First don't rise to Somali's bate. They don't have anyone's interest at heart including Oromos or even Somalis. Second the Ethiopian flag represents all of Ethiopia and it's people where as the other represents one party. That flag is not the Oromo flag because OLF does not represent all Oromos. It only presents those people that support that Party. If you are Oromo and support OPDO ( Abiy's party) then it does not represent you.

Third G7 is not an Amhara organization. It actually has no Amhara leader in its ranks. Its only called that because they have a "United Ethiopia" platform.

Last Addis Ababa will never be Oromo or Amhara. That city is the personification of Ethiopianism. That is why ethnic politics never worked there. Unless OLF is planning Ethnic Cleansing on a major scale Addis Ababa will never belong to one ethnic group.

P.S. the tri color flag was waived by every Ethiopian when facing enemies that came to destroy US. It has a meaning so much so other African countries tried to emulate us. You can slap whatever you want in the middle but the colors will always stay.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
So far, it seems to be an isolated event. I do not think it will escalate.
If it does, Oromos, who chased tplf back to mekelle, can easily do the same in finfinne/addis.

:drakelaugh:

Oh, to be stupid enough to believe that Abiy Ahmed actually runs Ethiopia! Or that the TPLF generals have gone back to Mekelle! If only it were that simple.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
@Lilafrombole Jimma. Adama, Bishoftu, etc... are all right now majority Amhara cities. So is Addis Ababa. Keep in mind that the Amhara make up only 7% of Oromia's population while the Oromo make up 87%. 7% of Oromia's population constitute a majority of its urban population. This is because most Oromo remain rural farmers. But as Ethiopia urbanizes tens of millions of Oromo will flood into these cities and change them completely. You can already see what is happening in places like Bishoftu where the Amhara majority have to speak Oromo or find translators to access state gov services.

Amhara dominance, i.e neftegna dominance, over Oromia and SNNP is coming to an end. You can thank your fellow Xabasha, the Tigray, for this. There is no Ethiopia without Amhara political/cultural dominance, but every year the Amhara's proportion of the overall population declines. Ethiopia is a "prison of nations" and the jailer (the Amhara) is growing ever weaker and cannot hold back the tide.

@Lilafrombole Jimma. Adama, Bishoftu, etc... are all right now majority Amhara cities. So is Addis Ababa. Keep in mind that the Amhara make up only 7% of Oromia's population while the Oromo make up 87%. 7% of Oromia's population constitute a majority of its urban population. This is because most Oromo remain rural farmers. But as Ethiopia urbanizes tens of millions of Oromo will flood into these cities and change them completely. You can already see what is happening in places like Bishoftu where the Amhara majority have to speak Oromo or find translators to access state gov services.

Amhara dominance, i.e neftegna dominance, over Oromia and SNNP is coming to an end. You can thank your fellow Xabasha, the Tigray, for this. There is no Ethiopia without Amhara political/cultural dominance, but every year the Amhara's proportion of the overall population declines. Ethiopia is a "prison of nations" and the jailer (the Amhara) is growing ever weaker and cannot hold back the tide.

Demographic change is bound to happen. The urban population will grow and a major portion will be Oromo. This not conspiracy but simple math. Addis Abeba is a federal city as such will speak the federal language which is Amharic. You seem familiar with Ethiopia so you know I am not exasperating when I tell you Amharic is spoke by literally everyone. It is the lingua franca and it would take a very long time to have oromifa reach that level. Had we been colonized maybe we would have used a Europian language as our lingua franca like Nigiria and other African countries with diverse population but we do not.

Somali's always underestimate or under value the role Oromo's played in creating Ethiopia. Amhara get a lot of flack for always talking about unity as If they would be most affected by Ethiopia breaking up....that is not true. In fact SNNP, Afar, Gambella and Tigray have a lot more to lose. Amhara live everywhere which has allowed them to intermarry and have a deeper understanding of the different groups which is why they want to keep all together. Because at it stands now the two major parties competing for power is not Amhara...they have not been In power for the last 27 years either...it is about the bigger picture.

The best tactic by TPLF and now OLF is to blame Amhara for everything...which is fine since it will bring everyone together at least:russ:

I.e you think Amharas are holding 70mil people that speak 100 languages hostage:mjlol:

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
@Lilafrombole I think you are underestimating what it will mean for the Oromo to reach similar levels of urbanization as the Xabasha. Amharic is done for as a national language if the Oromo no longer teach it to their children. Oromia now teaches its students Afaan Oromo and then English as a second language. Many children of educated Oromo fluent in Amharic cannot speak Amharic.
The Tigray betrayed the Amhara when they federalized the country and allowed everyone to communicate using their own language. A good example of where Oromia is headed is the Somali region. Less than 5% of the population of the Somali region speak Amharic.

Amharic is also being replaced by English in education past the 9th grade. Amharic is not competing with Afaan Oromo but with English. As time goes on Amharic will be spoken by Addis residents and by those in the Amhara region. It will simply become another language.

The breaking of the cultural dominance of Amhara will also mean the breaking of any special claim to Ethiopianess the Amhara could claim. Iraqi Kurdistan and the decline of Arabic there is a great example of what I am talking about.

@Lilafrombole I think you are underestimating what it will mean for the Oromo to reach similar levels of urbanization as the Xabasha. Amharic is done for as a national language if the Oromo no longer teach it to their children. Oromia now teaches its students Afaan Oromo and then English as a second language. Many children of educated Oromo fluent in Amharic cannot speak Amharic.
The Tigray betrayed the Amhara when they federalized the country and allowed everyone to communicate using their own language. A good example of where Oromia is headed is the Somali region. Less than 5% of the population of the Somali region speak Amharic.

Amharic is also being replaced by English in education past the 9th grade. Amharic is not competing with Afaan Oromo but with English. As time goes on Amharic will be spoken by Addis residents and by those in the Amhara region. It will simply become another language.

The breaking of the cultural dominance of Amhara will also mean the breaking of any special claim to Ethiopianess the Amhara could claim. Iraqi Kurdistan and the decline of Arabic there is a great example of what I am talking about.

Here is the thing. They realized they made a big mistake when they did not teach their children Amharic because it made them not competitive in the work place outside of Oromo region. There youth are struggling to get employed in a highly competitive job market. This the reality. Also you arw assuming when the urbanization I promise increases the rest of the countries remains stagnate. It will rise everywhere and other cities will become more appeal as that start to happen. I.e Hawassa, Adama, Dire Dawa Bahir Dar, etc

There is no zero some game only compromise and while English will become the most popular foreign language it will never be lingua frenca in Ethiopia.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Here is the thing. They realized they made a big mistake when they did not teach their children Amharic because it made them not competitive in the work place outside of Oromo region. There youth are struggling to get employed in a highly competitive job market. This the reality. Also you arw assuming when the urbanization I promise increases the rest of the countries remains stagnate. It will rise everywhere and other cities will become more appeal as that start to happen. I.e Hawassa, Adama, Dire Dawa Bahir Dar, etc

There is no zero some game only compromise and while English will become the most popular foreign language it will never be lingua frenca in Ethiopia.

But the Oromo region is the only region that matters! 60% of Ethiopia's gdp is Oromia and Addis Ababa! Oromia is the economic heart of Ethiopia. It is where the Coffee is grown, the flowers are cut, the wheat and corn that feed Tigray are produced, and where a third of the country lives. SNNP and Oromia are the future of Ethiopia, and in both regions Amharic language/culture is in decline. Oromos are even abandoning the Tewahedo in favor of Evangelical Protestantism; the number of orthodox Oromo is in free fall.

If Oromia becomes an Oromo only zone, whatever claim Amharic has to national significance will disappear. Ethiopia is a great country because of the Oromo, they are the muscle. The muscle is starting to develop a brain, it will no longer need Xabash guidance.

:russ:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending