Ethiopia: Oromia and Somali Region

He hasn't got a clue regarding this region lol. The Djiboutian and Somaliland ministers running the project from both sides of the border are both Samaroon and the project was created by Dr Beileh with the support of the IMF and Ethiopian government.
Well he is Kenyan after all :pachah1:

He is a very small handful of politicians who gave back to his people. We are very blessed to have him. He built many schools in Awdal especially in the rural countryside and he spearheaded the biggest road infrastructure project that our region has ever seen.
Beautiful man. I wish you guys luck, whatever you choose to be,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

DDS made a botched attempt at attacking the Jarso yet again. It was repelled and there will be a huge counter attack coming. They've been collecting arms since yesterday. Expect another wave of violence.

It seems like you're right. I heard quite a bit today; that an attack of *massive* scale will soon take place in not only Makaniis but other areas in close proximity, that they want to incorporate into Oromia.

Oromo/Jarso militias and civilians are being organized in Hararghe and an attack will happen from the Jinacsani side. We are being told to be cautious and on standby, if we do get attacked.

By the looks of it, I'm afraid that it may reach the magnitude of sufferings that we saw a couple of years ago. :jcoleno:

Awdalite

Araabi
It seems like you're right. I heard quite a bit today; that an attack of *massive* scale will soon take place in not only Makaniis but other areas in close proximity, that they want to incorporate into Oromia.

Oromo/Jarso militias and civilians are being organized in Hararghe and an attack will happen from the Jinacsani side. We are being told to be cautious and on standby, if we do get attacked.

By the looks of it, I'm afraid that it may reach the magnitude of sufferings that we saw a couple of years ago. :jcoleno:

Inshallah cooler heads prevail and a lasting peace made between the Jarso and Geri. This conflict lasted too long, its about time there is a reconciliation process.

Inshallah cooler heads prevail and a lasting peace made between the Jarso and Geri. This conflict lasted too long, its about time there is a reconciliation process.

Thanks for your well wishes walaal.

It just sad that we have to endure fightings between the two communities, every once in a while because of political failures spilling onto the locals. Most of the issues stems from the the two regional states taking unilateral decisions, without consultations with the people suffering on the ground. Especially while the areas we live in, is 'officially' considered as "disputed areas" by the gov't.

Inshallah reconciliations will happen soon, to sort out our grievances and put a permanent end to this debacle, once and for all. 🙏

Last edited:
Fightings started again this morning. This time involving Oromo militias, that started the fightings (from what I've heard). The situation on the ground and the information coming out is very fluid and limited thus far. So, I'll wait a bit more to get a better understanding of what happened.

It occurred (and was still ongoing, at least until a couple of hours ago) in the kebeles/towns of Sandacare, Uusweyne and Hosale. :ohlord:

Last edited:
Based of what I'm hearing, the last couple of days of fightings have caused casualties of at least 20 people (confirmed) as of now. About half of it fatalities and the rest wounded.

The Jarso/Oromo side suffered from most of the deaths and the wounded were mostly on the Somali side. Most of the deaths happened within the last day of fightings, rather than the one from last week.

The estimated figure could be higher. We'll see if they reveal more details of the casualties soon or if the fightings (hopefully not) continues.:farmajoyaab:

Awdalite

Araabi
Based of what I'm hearing, the last couple of days of fightings have caused casualties of at least 20 people (confirmed) as of now. About half of it fatalities and the rest wounded.

The Jarso/Oromo side suffered from most of the deaths and the wounded were mostly on the Somali side. Most of the deaths happened within the last day of fightings, rather than the one from last week.

The estimated figure could be higher. We'll see if they reveal more details of the casualties soon or if the fightings (hopefully not) continues.:farmajoyaab:

200 dead today with no exaggeration. It was carnage. One person from the region just informed me. Lots of casualties. Today was the worst number of casualties for years. It has never been as bad as it was the past few days and there is a media blackout. The casualties are on both sides equally, Geri and Jarso.

200 dead today with no exaggeration. It was carnage. One person from the region just informed me. Lots of casualties. Sad

Yaa rab :ohdamn:

I knew it would be at least upwards of 100 causalities, including fatalities, especially as I got this figure much earlier today. I wanted to wait until I got more information to confirm it from the ground, as it's dead silence. No media or anything of substance coming out of there, besides through relatives with little connection available.

But 200 dead?!?!! I was told that the intensity of fightings could be heard all the way inside the city :dwill:

The severity of todays fighting is probably a record in terms of casualties in a day. Even when it was at its worst in 2017/2018, did it not go this far. I predicted it a couple of days ago, but nothing was done to prevent it, as everyone on the ground knew something out of the ordinary was bound to happen in terms of fightings.

"By the looks of it, I'm afraid that it may reach the magnitude of sufferings that we saw a couple of years ago"
I'm starting to feel hopeless. Ilaahay dadkeyga (iyo kuwa aan jaar la ah) uu gargar. :tocry:

Last edited:

Awdalite

Araabi
Yaa rab :ohdamn:

I knew it would be at least upwards of 100 causalities, including fatalities, especially as I got this figure much earlier today. I wanted to wait until I got more information to confirm it from the ground, as it's dead silence. No media or anything of substance coming out of there, besides through relatives with little connection available.

But 200 dead?!?!! I was told that the intensity of fightings could be heard all the way inside the city :dwill:

The severity of todays fighting is probably a record in terms of casualties in a day. Even when it was at its worst in 2017/2018, did it not go this far. I predicted it a couple of days ago, but nothing was done to prevent it, as everyone on the ground knew something out of the ordinary was bound to happen in terms of fightings.

"By the looks of it, I'm afraid that it may reach the magnitude of sufferings that we saw a couple of years ago"
I'm starting to feel hopeless. Ilaahay dadkeyga (iyo kuwa aan jaar la ah) uu gargar. :tocry:

It was by far the deadliest toll since 2017/2018. The Somali and Oromo regional governments sent security forces to try and stop further bloodshed. It doesn't take a lot unfortunately for there to be a huge flare up in violence.

It was by far the deadliest toll since 2017/2018. The Somali and Oromo regional governments sent security forces to try and stop further bloodshed. It doesn't take a lot unfortunately for there to be a huge flare up in violence.
Who is wrong in this skirmishes?

Who is wrong in this skirmishes?

It varies. Most of the fightings between the two clans originates in political disputes, rather than clan disputes as some like to portray it. Including the Somali regional gov't and president.

Technically, the fightings never ends. Just the scale of it downsizes, and every once in while do you hear a killing or two. Some months more calm, other more intense.

I don't know what actually caused it. Some say that it was Liyuu police/state force, but they have not intervened since Cagjar took over, even when it was worse fightings, so I'm unsure about this 'theory'. From what I've heard, it was local fightings and which then involved a militia instead and exacerbated it.

In any case, the 'tension' this time was caused by the Oromo state unilaterally naming a new district in an area, that is/was under DDS. But since the fightings started, most of it took place outside this area.

Another major fighting happened in January. That one was caused by a new dam construction by the Oromo state in DDS or as Oromo call it 'disputed area' or sometimes even claim it, despite being under DDS jurisdictions. They got partial ok'd from DDS authorities, but not to start which they did anyway. (The constitutions even totally prohibits a neighbouring state from engaging in projects within 60km (I believe?) of a state capital). But the construction caused displacements of thousands and many other problems, which erupted in fightings.

In the end, unless a permanent solution is found regarding the 'border disputes', fightings will continue with no end in sight. It now nears 19 years, since it began.

Last edited:
It varies. Most of the fightings between the two clans originates in political disputes, rather than clan disputes as some like to portray it. Including the Somali regional gov't and president.

Technically, the fightings never ends. Just the scale of it downsized, and every once in while do you hear a killing or two.

I don't know what actually caused it. Some say that it was Liyuu police/state force, but they have not intervened since Cagjar took over, even when it was worse fightings, so I'm unsure about this 'theory'. From what I've heard, it was the local fightings and then involved a militia instead and exacerbated it.

In any case, the 'tension' this time was caused by the Oromo state unilaterally naming a new district in an area, that is/was under DDS. But since the fightings started, most of it took place outside this area.

Another major fighting happened in January. That one was caused by a new dam construction by the Oromo state in DDS or as Oromo call it 'disputed area'. They got partial ok'd from DDS authorities, but not to start which they did anyway. (The constitutions even totally prohibits a neighbouring state from engaging in projects within 60km (I believe?) of a state capital). But the construction caused displacements of thousands and many other problems, which erupted in fightings.

In the end, unless a permanent solution is found regarding the 'border disputes', fightings will continue with no end in sight. It now nears 19 years, since it began.
Thanks for your detailed response. So basically Oromo is egging one Somali clan against another. The state of our people is alarming. We are the most disunited people I've ever seen, even though we are one tribe.

Thanks for your detailed response. So basically Oromo is egging one Somali clan against another. The state of our people is alarming. We are the most disunited people I've ever seen, even though we are one tribe.

I wouldn't fully blame Oromia. The root cause was the referendum, that was set-up in a way that only could set a precedent of never-ending conflicts. Basically one of its kind, where you were voting practically village-by-village. Then you have two clans who have lived with each other long enough, to not have any clear boundaries between them. Geri were for DDS, while Jarso were divided, mostly for Oromia. (They are Somalized Oromos who identify with Somali-Dir and/or Oromo-Afran Qallo clans, depending on which Jarso and when you ask them).

As soon as the results were announced, all hell broke loose. Not all people in the area even voted, because having a vote through democratic means, was foreign to them. Some of the results were not even accurate. But half of the former region would be split between DDS and Oromia.

Since then, no one has even attempted to find a solution on how to properly implement the results, even though most have accepted the results by now. During the last 20 years, endless fightings, massacres, state violence (from both DDS and Oromia). At this point, most Jarso are united in being for Oromia, which complicates things further.

In any case, through all of this and by now, most Geri have left Jinacsani and likewise with Jarso in Tuli Guleed. Most of the lands left are currently still 'deserted'. But the region, is very resource rich in terms of water and being fertile land. And Oromia is focused on developing it now, which will probably mean more 'land grab'.

Now with this DDS gov't, who is largely subtile in its actions and refraining from doing anything. While Oromia is more bold and taking actions, despite mostly no consensus with the DDS gov't. But with a Jarso significant area, they are free to do anything. While the Somali land, that they wrongly control/took over, we (the locals) can't do much, with limited help from Cagjar.

Last edited:

World

VIP
Jarso are not a Somali clan.

From 1990, their intention was to join Oromia. They are an Oromo clan who through interaction with Geri(a Somali clan) went through some Somalization. However, they’ve voted to add all the lands they are a majority into Oromia in 2004.

This conflict is about Jarso and the Oromia state wanting to expand into Somali areas that voted to stay in Somali region in 2004. And some dhabodhilif Garabursi members on this forum welcoming this Oromia expansion and wanting their lands to be swallowed up by Oromia as well.

I wouldn't fully blame Oromia. The root cause was the referendum, that was set-up in a way that only could set a precedent of never-ending conflicts. Basically one of its kind, where you were voting practically village-by-village. Then you have two clans who have lived with each other long enough, to not have any clear boundaries between them. Geri were for DDS, while Jarso were divided, mostly for Oromia. (They are Somalized Oromos who identify with Somali-Dir and/or Oromo-Afran Qallo clans, depending on which Jarso and when you ask them).

As soon as the results were announced, all hell broke loose. Not all people in the area even voted, because having a vote through democratic means, was foreign to them. Some of the results were not even accurate. But half of the former region would be split between DDS and Oromia.

Since then, no one has even attempted to find a solution on how to properly implement the results, even though most have accepted the results by now. During the last 20 years, endless fightings, massacres, state violence (from both DDS and Oromia). At this point, most Jarso are united in being for Oromia, which complicates things further.

In any case, through all of this and by now, most Geri have left Jinacsani and likewise with Jarso in Tuli Guleed. Most of the lands left are currently still 'deserted'. But the region, is very resource rich in terms of water and being fertile land. And Oromia is focused on developing it now, which will probably mean more 'land grab'.

Now with this DDS gov't, who is largely subtile in its actions and refraining from doing anything. While Oromia is more bold and taking actions, despite mostly no consensus with the DDS gov't. But with a Jarso significant area, they are free to do anything. While the Somali land, that they wrongly control/took over, we (the locals) can't do much, with limited help from Cagjar.
Jarso are not a Somali clan.

From 1990, their intention was to join Oromia. They are an Oromo clan who through interaction with Geri(a Somali clan) went through some Somalization. However, they’ve voted to add all the lands they are a majority into Oromia in 2004.

This conflict is about Jarso and the Oromia state wanting to expand into Somali areas that voted to stay in Somali region in 2004. And some dhabodhilif Garabursi members on this forum welcoming this Oromia expansion and wanting their lands to be swallowed up by Oromia as well.
Are we sure they're Oromo? Are they all Oromo? The guys who were supporting Isaaq in the video spoke good Somali, like a native. How come they never attacked their Gadabursi neighbors?

World

VIP
Are we sure they're Oromo? Are they all Oromo? The guys who were supporting Isaaq in the video spoke good Somali, like a native
Jarso are a huge clan, they live all the way from West Hararghe to Jinacsani. The further west you go away from the Somali border, the more foreign Somalis are to them. There is no Jarso land that is part of the Somali region, they all voted to join Oromia in 2004. On the border between Somali/Oromia, you may find Jarsos that speak Somali. But 0 % in West Hararghe.

Are we sure they're Oromo? Are they all Oromo? The guys who were supporting Isaaq in the video spoke good Somali, like a native

Jarso is a big Oromo clan, and the Jarso as we Somalis know them, are the Somalized Oromos. A small part of the wider Jarso clan. They speak Somali as a native language (most of them didn't speak Oromo until after 60/70s), have Somali culture, traditions, and so forth.

Skärmavbild 2023-03-02 kl. 00.45.08.png

Look at this thread bellow.
https://www.somalispot.com/threads/qabyalad-made-somalis-cucks-for-oromo.143748/

Last edited:
Are we sure they're Oromo? Are they all Oromo? The guys who were supporting Isaaq in the video spoke good Somali, like a native. How come they never attacked their Gadabursi neighbors?

The reason why most of the problems today is with Geri, is because Geri live next to them in most of the borders we share. Which was complicated when the new borders which was supposed to be redrawn.

Geris are very much against the idea of being under Oromo state and rule. While Gadabuursi have a different viewpoint. They are either neutral or positive (correct me any Samaroon If I'm wrong). They also have good relations with Jarso, and Geri.

The new district created, have a significant Gadabuursi inhabitants, and they are on board with Oromia in this decision. They were recently negotiating representations of this new area, with Oromo representatives.

Last edited: