Ethiopia: New Janaale/Dawa Dam 99% Complete

Nobody will listen to Somalia or any complaints from that sorry mistake of a state. Ethiopia had a forward-facing vision for its development and mobilized its scarce resources through diligent management and sacrifice to develop its infrastructure to lift its people out of poverty. Meanwhile Somalia is a stagnant and corrupt cesspool of aid-thieves and irascible goat herders with terrorist sympathies. The world will side with mother Ethiopia, cradle of African civilization.

A dam on the Juba is actually a net good because it smoothens the flood/drought cycle, providing a steady flow of water across the seasons. Ethiopia cannot really use the water of the Juba because the area in which it flows is mountainous and not suitable for large agricultural development very much like the area near the Blue Nile dam. The Juba has almost 3x as much water as the Shabelle, so impounding it behind a dam will not result in as much evaporative loss. The Sha

Ethiopia did a great service for Jubaland, flood risk in Jubaland is now a thing of the past.

Lies. Lies. Lies. Let me break it down

A dam on the Juba is actually a net good because it smoothens the flood/drought cycle, providing a steady flow of water across the seasons.

You are being intentionally misleading and saying stuff that's factually INCORRECT. We are not talking about "a dam", we are talking about between 10 and 22 dams, that Ethiopia is building on the rivers that flow into Somalia. So it's not just "a dam". You are intentionally trivialising this issue, which any reasonable observer can tell is of huge security importance for South Somalia. There was no consultation by Ethiopia, no technical committee from Somalia, no consideration of the down stream communities.

Secondly, yes it does smooth the flood or drought cycle, but for Ethiopia, not Somalia. It takes months or in some cases years to fill the dam reservoirs. Which means that during those months, the water will be diverted from The Shabelle and Jubba into Ethiopia's reservoirs. Little water will actually go to downstream communities in South Central Somalia. So while Ethiopia uses the water first to generate electricity and then to irrigate is massive cash crop plantations, South Central Somalia will be left high and dry. It will become an arid dust bowl region within months.

Ethiopia cannot really use the water of the Juba because the area in which it flows is mountainous and not suitable for large agricultural development very much like the area near the Blue Nile dam.

Bullshit. Again you are being intentionally misleading, or are woefully misinformed. Why would Ethiopia dam the water if it has no use for it? Of course it will use the water. That's why it's building miles upon miles of CANALS to take the water from the reservoirs to industrial scale sugar and other plantations, where the water will be used to irrigate massive Ethiopian, Chinese, Arab and Israeli food plantations.

The dams are great for Ethiopia and a CATASTROPHE for South Central Somalia. Only an Ethiopian would say otherwise.

The Juba has almost 3x as much water as the Shabelle, so impounding it behind a dam will not result in as much evaporative loss.

Again another lie. Evaporation is a function of the volume of water in a reservoir, there will be immense evaporation loss, particularly on the Jubba river. What's worse is the nutrient rich soil and silt that comes with the rivers and naturally fertilizes South Central Somalia's agricultural will be gone forever. Food production yields in South Somalia will fall off a cliff.

Ethiopia did a great service for Jubaland, flood risk in Jubaland is now a thing of the past.

Firstly, flooding is a natural phenomena and a natural part of river basins and natural water drainage systems. Flooding is not the problem. Humans building on flood planes is the problem.

Secondly, of course if you dam and use the rivers inside Ethiopia and no water flows to South Central Somalia, there can be no flooding in Somalia. But that's not a true solution. It's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to stop it crying, or cutting off your arm to stop an itch. If what your saying is, permanently removing rivers in South Somalia will stop flooding, then I agree. But that will lead to catastrophic famines for decades to come.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
Ethiopia had a forward-facing vision for its development and mobilized its scarce resources through diligent management and sacrifice to develop its infrastructure to lift its people out of poverty.
what the f*ck are talking about?
these dams are built and finance by china, ethiopia is a poor debt ridden nation sustained by billion dollars of aid, the day western nation stop supporting the ethiopian state is the day it will fall.

caqli xuma. we could simply sanction Ethiopia by not allowing them to use our seaports because of these dams.

WTF are you talking about? Ethiopia doesn't use our ports. It uses Djibouti port and soon Lamu port in Kenya. How can we sanction them if they don't even use our ports?:gucciwhat:

Last edited:

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
WTF are you talking about? Ethiopia doesn't use our ports. It uses Djibouti port and soon Lamu port in Kenya. How can we sanction them if they don't even use our ports?:gucciwhat:

https://allafrica.com/stories/201805210376.html
"Ethiopia's 30% goods to be shipped via Somaliland"

ethiopia also own 20% of berbera

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1JC0IF
"The leaders further agreed to invest in logistics and service provision specially to leading ports in the continent that can serve both the Indian ocean and the Red Sea," the statement read."
"I'd like to welcome you to your second home Somalia"

https://allafrica.com/stories/201805210376.html
"Ethiopia's 30% goods to be shipped via Somaliland"

ethiopia also own 20% of berbera

Your English comprehension sucks. Do you know what "to be" means? It is future tense. Meaning it is yet to happen. Meaning currently Ethiopia does not use Somali ports (except Djibouti which doesn't count). Meaning my point still stands: how can we sanction them, if they don't even use our ports.

Also, they are not obliged to use our ports. And if they did, it would actually be a good thing not a bad thing. But they don't

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
Your English comprehension sucks. Do you know what "to be" means? It is future tense. Meaning it is yet to happen. Meaning currently Ethiopia does not use Somali ports (except Djibouti which doesn't count). Meaning my point still stands: how can we sanction them, if they don't even use our ports.

Also, they are not obliged to use our ports. And if they did, it would actually be a good thing not a bad thing. But they don't
i"ll admit i fucked up with somaliland part. i should've focus on ethiopian having large stake in berbera rather than shipments.
my point stands that ethiopia is heavily involved with somali ports, also it's pretty bad for ethiopia to use our port when there planing to build a navy.

cool thought they already started. if they want to use water as a weapon we could use our ports against.

land owner

Welcome to the yaab zone
VIP
Last edited:
This goes against international water laws considering how important both rivers are to Somalia

“International water law helps enable nations to peacefully share a river basin and the waters it contains.”

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-Mi/Law-International-Water.html#ixzz64z06o3Cr
http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/La-Mi/Law-International-Water.html

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...rivers-and-their-importance-to-somalia.69211/

they are trying to make this into a qabil thing, plus i have mentioned this before, Ethiopia won't block the jubba river. abiy is an ally and needs somalia for him to survive in Ethiopia.

things will be worked out, where both parties will be happy.

Trending