Do you think tuition fees should be abolished or not?

Do you think tuition fees should be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
In the Netherlands, students receive a public transportation card that allows the government to track all the expenses incurred while using public transport. The standard duration of most courses is four years, and if a student does not complete their studies within five years, they are required to repay the debt accrued from the use of public transport. Conversely, if a student completes their studies within the five-year timeframe, they receive the total cost of public transport expenses as a gift.
This reminds me of when I went interrailing with my friend last summer. We were headed from Cologne to Amsterdam and needed to connect in Maastricht. On the train from Maastricht to Amsterdam Centraal we struck up good conversation with a group of very attractive Dutch girls who were presumably students. Now obviously the tickets cost my friend and I quite a bit (which in retrospect we shouldn’t have paid since we encountered no ticket inspectors) but for the girls they just tapped these cards as normal

Good times

seldiboy

If you could get the MSEng. at a discount, (I can not believe I just said, it is like going to WalMart: buy one, get one for free), then go for it.

Having said that, I would not bother with MS, or PhD till I have had years of practical experience ion the real world, for then, and only then, would your graduate education have meaningful value, otherwise you would be regurgitating infinitesimal rubbish.
Just a thought.
Sorry I should have clarified that the MSc would be in an engineering discipline. The problem is in the UK, to be an accredited engineer you must undertake a Masters degree. Now most courses have them integrated but I thought it would increase my job prospects to go the long way

This reminds me of when I went interrailing with my friend last summer. We were headed from Cologne to Amsterdam and needed to connect in Maastricht. On the train from Maastricht to Amsterdam Centraal we struck up good conversation with a group of very attractive Dutch girls who were presumably students. Now obviously the tickets cost my friend and I quite a bit (which in retrospect we shouldn’t have paid since we encountered no ticket inspectors) but for the girls they just tapped these cards as normal

Good times
Not suggesting you would have dodged the fare, are you?

Sorry I should have clarified that the MSc would be in an engineering discipline. The problem is in the UK, to be an accredited engineer you must undertake a Masters degree. Now most courses have them integrated but I thought it would increase my job prospects to go the long way
That is a new requirement, is it not?
A level from the UK used to be technically better than BSc. from the US, and BS used to be equivalent to MSc in the US, and elsewhere in the world.

Graduate research degrees in the US are decent, but not BSc. or BA.

Good times
Well, it really depends on the type of train you're taking. If you're on a national train, you'll probably not run into ticket inspectors, but on regional trains, you're likely to come across them every day.

That's nice I also did an interrail trip last summer. Where did you go?

seldiboy

That is a new requirement, is it not?
A level from the UK used to be technically better than BS from the US, and BS used to be equivalent to MSc in the US, and elsewhere in the world.

You can still work as an engineer (but you won’t be able to officially call yourself one) with just a bachelors but you probably won’t fetch as high of a salary. The difference is pretty much identical to that between a normal accountant and one that is chartered. The chartering process for engineers has been around forever but I’m assuming that the rise of grads from polys with engineering degrees has made being chartered more of a necessity

You can still work as an engineer (but you won’t be able to officially call yourself one) with just a bachelors but you probably won’t fetch as high of a salary. The difference is pretty much identical to that between a normal accountant and one that is chartered. The chartering process for engineers has been around forever but I’m assuming that the rise of grads from polys with engineering degrees has made being chartered more of a necessity
Oh I see, so they developed a system to weed out the undesirables, mostly of working classes, and BMO [sic] backgrounds.

I payed hundreds in tuition fees alone and a further Β£350 just to retake an exam ages ago.
So about Β£700 for a 16 Yr old to retake an exam.

And the fact I passed by 2 marks as well, the prayers payed off
GCSE retakes cost Β£350?! :dwill:

seldiboy

Come to think of it, I do not recall seeing conductors either.

Netherlands used to be a fine place to visit with Nijmegen, and Grave being my regular destinations, for reasons not to be mentioned.
We mostly stayed on Intercity routes while in the Netherlands so ticket inspectors weren’t present I guess. There were barriers at major stations (Centraal and Utrecht) but unlike in the UK, the staff manning these were very lackadaisical and had I been opportunistic I would have made light work of them.
Well, it really depends on the type of train you're taking. If you're on a national train, you'll probably not run into ticket inspectors, but on regional trains, you're likely to come across them every day.

That's nice I also did an interrail trip last summer. Where did you go?

We didn’t go too far East. We Eurostarred into Paris but we didn’t stay the night since we weren’t too keen. From there we went to Berlin and Munich, then Prague. A very odd night in Salzburg and then a class time in Venice. From there we had the Iberian leg of our trip. Barcelona onto Madrid and then onto Lisbon (where I abused copious amounts of substances). From there it was back to Paris to return to London

We mostly stayed on Intercity routes while in the Netherlands so ticket inspectors weren’t present I guess. There were barriers at major stations (Centraal and Utrecht) but unlike in the UK, the staff manning these were very lackadaisical and had I been opportunistic I would have made light work of them.

We didn’t go too far East. We Eurostarred into Paris but we didn’t stay the night since we weren’t too keen. From there we went to Berlin and Munich, then Prague. A very odd night in Salzburg and then a class time in Venice. From there we had the Iberian leg of our trip. Barcelona onto Madrid and then onto Lisbon (where I abused copious amounts of substances). From there it was back to Paris to return to London
You British?