Do you think tuition fees should be abolished or not?

Do you think tuition fees should be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
I personally believe it should be abolished and universities should allow students from low-income families to study without having to worry about the fees. Many students are at disadvantage with the cost of living and other circumstances.

Nayaaa PAY YOUR DEBT!!!

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
How hard is it to get to a decent uni in London? I'm in first year of AS levels and just took the time to do retakes and get better grades on my gcse like maths so I will just dip my 2nd year as level for some A levels in something like computer science next year inshallah
Be predicted at least 3 A grades at A Level and a plethora of courses are available to you. I’d also strongly advise taking A Level Maths (not Core Maths). It’s not a particularly difficult subject and it opens up most STEM courses. The good London universities will have a premium on required grades but they’ll vary in between them. Imperial asked for A*A*A for my course whereas UCL only wanted AAA. You don’t need to study in London though since there are plenty of equally good universities elsewhere where you will probably have a better student life

Who will pay to keep the facilities running and the teachers salary going. U need to pay or be contempt with a highschool diploma.

There are no free handouts in this dunya.:manny:

Be predicted at least 3 A grades at A Level and a plethora of courses are available to you. I’d also strongly advise taking A Level Maths (not Core Maths). It’s not a particularly difficult subject and it opens up most STEM courses. The good London universities will have a premium on required grades but they’ll vary in between them. Imperial asked for A*A*A for my course whereas UCL only wanted AAA. You don’t need to study in London though since there are plenty of equally good universities elsewhere where you will probably have a better student life
From the sounds of it, A levels have been diluted insofar as they are giving away As where it used to be almost nigh improbable to get all As unless of course one was concentrating on core subjects.

Last edited:
I believe that implementing a policy where students who complete their studies within 5 years receive a waiver of their tuition fees, while those who take longer have to pay their tuition fees, would encourage students to study harder and more efficiently.

Additionally, a similar policy could be applied to public transportation for students, where those who finish their studies within 5 years will have their transportation debt waived, but those who take longer will have to pay it back.

seldiboy

From the sounds of it, A levels have been diluted insofar as they are giving away As where it used to be almost nigh improbable to get all As unless of course one was concentrating on core subjects.

A* is the new A. They had to introduce a whole new grade to deal with the inflation haha. However it just seems to have led to a two-tier university system. You have Unis that will only take A and A* grades and Unis that will take anything as long as they get you on their enrolment list.

I believe that implementing a policy where students who complete their studies within 5 years receive a waiver of their tuition fees, while those who take longer have to pay their tuition fees, would encourage students to study harder and more efficiently.

Additionally, a similar policy could be applied to public transportation for students, where those who finish their studies within 5 years will have their transportation debt waived, but those who take longer will have to pay it back.
Transportation debt? I am not familiar with that. Could you elaborate on it?

seldiboy

Everyone finishes their bachelors within 5 years pretty much so I don’t really see what that incentivises

A* is the new A. They had to introduce a whole new grade to deal with the inflation haha. However it just seems to have led to a two-tier university system. You have Unis that will only take A and A* grades and Unis that will take anything as long as they get you on their enrolment list.
Are they gingerly reverting back to the Thatcherite era education system of Unis vs Pols.

seldiboy

Are they gingerly reverting back to the Thatcherite era education system of Unis vs Pols.
Pols are still referred to as Pols. You can call them “universities” all you like but we can all see that they’re just putting lipstick on a pig. They essentially run as party schools for the less intellectually endowed or diploma mills for international students who take advantage of the UK’s lenient student visa laws.

I’d say that there are about 20-odd universities where you will actually get a positive ROI and within them only 10 where there is ROI is actually significant

Transportation debt? I am not familiar with that. Could you elaborate on it?
In the Netherlands, students receive a public transportation card that allows the government to track all the expenses incurred while using public transport. The standard duration of most courses is four years, and if a student does not complete their studies within five years, they are required to repay the debt accrued from the use of public transport. Conversely, if a student completes their studies within the five-year timeframe, they receive the total cost of public transport expenses as a gift.

seldiboy

@Garaad.XIV @seldiboy
Where is the 5 year term coming from? Are not unis 3 years? Or are you talking about students with poor academic performance repeating years.
No clue. The course that I’m starting in September is four years since it’s an integrated masters but that’s generally as long as they get (unless you do Medicine/Dentistry which are 5 or 6 years long depending on whether you intercalate)

BTW, since you are an engineer, which of these options do you think would be wiser for me. Undertake a 3 year BEng and then an MSc or undergo a 4 year MEng. The first option is a bit more expensive (but nothing crazy) but I end up with a fully fledged Post-Grad degree. I’ve heard that when job hunting abroad, a MEng is still seen as an honours degree and doesn’t carry the same prestige as an MSc. Within the UK though they both lead to partial accreditation.

Pols are still referred to as Pols. You can call them “universities” all you like but we can all see that they’re just putting lipstick on a pig. They essentially run as party schools for the less intellectually endowed or diploma mills for international students who take advantage of the UK’s lenient student visa laws.

I’d say that there are about 20-odd universities where you will actually get a positive ROI and within them only 10 where there is ROI is actually significant
What a doddle. British education used to be one of the best in the world.

In the Netherlands, students receive a public transportation card that allows the government to track all the expenses incurred while using public transport. The standard duration of most courses is four years, and if a student does not complete their studies within five years, they are required to repay the debt accrued from the use of public transport. Conversely, if a student completes their studies within the five-year timeframe, they receive the total cost of public transport expenses as a gift.
That is a nice system; how does one qualify for it?

No clue. The course that I’m starting in September is four years since it’s an integrated masters but that’s generally as long as they get (unless you do Medicine/Dentistry which are 5 or 6 years long depending on whether you intercalate)

BTW, since you are an engineer, which of these options do you think would be wiser for me. Undertake a 3 year BEng and then an MSc or undergo a 4 year MEng. The first option is a bit more expensive (but nothing crazy) but I end up with a fully fledged Post-Grad degree. I’ve heard that when job hunting abroad, a MEng is still seen as an honours degree and doesn’t carry the same prestige as an MSc. Within the UK though they both lead to partial accreditation.
If you could get the MSEng. at a discount, (I can not believe I just said, it is like going to WalMart: buy one, get one for free), then go for it.

Having said that, I would not bother with MS, or PhD till you have had years of practical experience in the real world, for then, and only then, would your graduate education have meaningful value, otherwise you would be regurgitating infinitesimal rubbish.
Just a thought.

Trending

Latest posts