Do you believe in Somalinimo?

Do you believe in uniting Somalis?

• No. My clan/region are my only ties

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Yes. I believe all Somalis are brethren.

Votes: 46 83.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The irony is somalinimo is also tribalism. Just on a larger scale.

If you expect somalis to treat you better just because you are somali don't be shocked to see a Somali treat his clan member better

Somalinimo, only arises when somalis collectively come together when someone is attacking us all.

Do I believe it exists? yes, until politics is discussed, than its gone lol

Honestly speaking everyone favours their qabil, you can lie and say you dont
but you do.

Still if I see a somali in trouble, I would help them without thinking.

Gambar

VIP
I was raised to love all Somalis irrespective of clan. Then to also love them as Muslims. My kids aren't the same clan or region as me so I definitely can't be qabiilist or regionalist if I tried.

It only happens if Somalis are the minority. For example, I'm the only Somali at my workplace and put in a good word for another Somali girl. I don't know her clan, nor do I care, but I practice Somalinimo because when we're in need we're supposed to help each other. I would do the same with a fellow Muslim. It's called grandfathering and that's how whites get ahead. Somalis should do the same. I'm not against practicing it in your clan/tribe or community. It's like how hagbad/ayuuto help Somalis afford things. That's Somalinimo in my opinion.

Gambar

Animals of the same kind mostly, treat one another as brethren even if they didn’t grew up together. Different species of animals get along very well and feed together. We always help those who share with us similar backgrounds. While travelling overseas, when other Aussies hear my English accent, we develop a rapport, help one another if need maybe and discuss Australian stuff. It’s natural. Somalinimo as we know is a political concept and we fail that test because our connection to the clan. Maybe one day, when we develop, majority of Somalis are educated, individuals economically become self reliant on themselves, we might ditch tribalism on behalf of bestowing our loyalty towards the state. The economic and educational conditions of the individual limits their loyalties towards other actors than their clans.

VixR

Veritas
There's no such thing as Somalinimo. There never was. There's a facade, apretend aura of it in the diaspora, but nothing significant. The core of our networks and the way we help ppl overseas is also qabil-oriented. There is no bigger sense of "We".

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Somalinimo exists, however, not all Somalis practice it. I will admit that qabil does provide some perks. Somalinimo is not entirely qabil-motivated. Particularly, if you have family friends of other clans. Some of them are better than relatives. They are friends nonetheless. However, I have been helped out by people simply for being Somali (they didn't know my tribe from the get go). They felt that was enough to provide some sort of assistance. That and my kind eyes melted their soul.

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
somalinimo is a myth. It has never existed. Down with the colonial project known as Somalia

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Somalinimo is not a real concept. I feel no kinship with my worst enemies. I am Darod, my clan is larger than most African ethnic groups. Only laangaabs harp on about somalinimo.

:kanyeshrug:

Somalinimo is not a real concept. I feel no kinship with my worst enemies. I am Darod, my clan is larger than most African ethnic groups. Only laangaabs harp on about somalinimo.

If you was being attacked and
outnumbered saw another
Somali, you wouldn't be
Thinking like that.

You would want your fellow Somali
to Help you, or would you ask if
He was darood first?

:gucciwhat:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

Not necessarily. It's an individual experience. I understand that some Somalis have tribally clashed with each other in the past, hence why they have become more insular (in the post-civil war period) and have been reduced to a cousin marriage according to @Bahal . However, prior to that Somalis moved around and mixed and mingled with people that weren't their tribe forming cross-tribal friendships/ties, especially urban folks and those that left the country before the war. Is that not in the spirit of Somalinimo? :childplease:

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP

Siad Barre tried his best to reduce tribalism as much as possible but he couldn't do it what makes people think anyone else can.

I also identify as Darood and i know who my enemies are :manny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending