Do Somali's take marriage too lightly?

Do you think Somali's take marriage too lightly?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somalis take everything lightly, marriage, their kids future, career, health, their country's future. In fact, our logo is we half ass everything.

We are always looking for short cuts to everything, we love to copy others. Xaalimo next door had a 50k wedding, I shall make mine 60. Abdi found a virgin wife in Africa, I shall too. The sheep mentality in the Somali community is real.

This.

We need to stop the 'Keeping with the Abdis/Xalimos' mentality. I see so many Somali married ladies telling their husbands to buy them a new car because the Xalimo next door got a new Lexus.

We spend so much money on stuff that lose value quick rather then investing or buying a home. The concept of investing or putting money in our retirement funds is so foreign.

Lostbox

γ€ŒImmortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
I've always felt this and I can see it looking at the marriages of both the older and younger generation.
People go into marriage naive and unprepared. A lot of times, they have major mental or health issues that they have not addressed and kept hidden form their potential spouse and there is also the lack of financial planning.

I know our forefathers got married in a certain way and that worked for that time, but we have a whole list of issues (mental/health and financial issues) that stem from the civil war and us being refugess that people refuse to acknowledge.

Lets spend less on the wedding and more on ourselves and our futures. Lets take our time making better choices in marriage partners, so that we can have less divorces and broken homes.

What do you all think?
There were repercussions for divorce but thankfully there isn't and now a day some people don't want kids. Marriage in not a important or necessary as it used to be and it expensive as hell. Some are opting out if it. people now a days will get married for there own fulfillment or for the selfish reasons.

Last edited:

HuunoHunter

Old Head πŸ‘΄πŸΏ
I've always felt this and I can see it looking at the marriages of both the older and younger generation.
People go into marriage naive and unprepared. A lot of times, they have major mental or health issues that they have not addressed and kept hidden form their potential spouse and there is also the lack of financial planning.

I know our forefathers got married in a certain way and that worked for that time, but we have a whole list of issues (mental/health and financial issues) that stem from the civil war and us being refugess that people refuse to acknowledge.

Lets spend less on the wedding and more on ourselves and our futures. Lets take our time making better choices in marriage partners, so that we can have less divorces and broken homes.

What do you all think?
You might as well say let's commit zina and ride the carousel before we settle down.

giphy.gif

There were repercussions for divorce but thankfully there isn't and now a day some people don't want kids. Marriage in not a important or necessary as it used to be and it expensive as hell. Some are opting out if it. people now a days will get married for there own fulfillment or for the selfish reasons.
I feel like many Somali men even in the past were selfish and just wanted as many wives and kids as possible. Hence, so many of us having 20+ aunts and uncles.

You might as well say let's commit zina and ride the carousel before we settle down.

giphy.gif
War waad waalantahay! I never even remotely implied that :nahgirl:

HuunoHunter

Old Head πŸ‘΄πŸΏ
I feel like many Somali men even in the past were selfish and just wanted as many wives and kids as possible. Hence, so many of us having 20+ aunts and uncles.

War waad waalantahay! I never even remotely implied that :nahgirl:
Isn't that the better option tho?
Practice makes perfect, no?

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
i agree with you
@Lalune
Just like to add my Two cents
One problem is Somalis shouldnt only think marriage is for procreation alone It becomes successful when both husband and wife support one another and contribute to the realization of their long-term goals

Also people should finish whatever goals they have wether its education or career anything and than get married
Like for instance I plan to build a house in Hargeisa then settle Down with a beautiful wife

Now the one thing that suprises me is the mentality I see with many Young Somalis is that they all think marriage life is easy and than Divorce shortly After

I always seen marriage like a BIG responsibility cause youre gonna take care of your house, wife , provide for her and the kids, Cook, clean, help raise kids, put em to bed, and on top of that you still gotta spend on the wifey have date nights and buy her gifts all of that to live a happy prosperous marriage

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Come to think of it do Somalis even talk about their expactations and wants From the marriage

If not

image.jpeg

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
i agree with you
@Lalune
Just like to add my Two cents
One problem is Somalis shouldnt only think marriage is for procreation alone It becomes successful when both husband and wife support one another and contribute to the realization of their long-term goals

Also people should finish whatever goals they have wether its education or career anything and than get married
Like for instance I plan to build a house in Hargeisa then settle Down with a beautiful wife

Now the one thing that suprises me is the mentality I see with many Young Somalis is that they all think marriage life is easy and than Divorce shortly After

I always seen marriage like a BIG responsibility cause youre gonna take care of your house, wife , provide for her and the kids, Cook, clean, help raise kids, put em to bed, and on top of that you still gotta spend on the wifey have date nights and buy her gifts all of that to live a happy prosperous marriage

Definitely! Your kids we'll only be around for so long but your spouse is forever.

Plus if you treat your husband/wife well your children will feel like they have a safe and stable environment to come home to and will have an ideal childhood. What they do after 15 is really not your fault then. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts